Woman of the year

News today of the fabulous results from the third trial of the Oxford group who developed the COVID vaccine. With tweaks it can produce a 90% efficacy rate. It is cheap, and can be stored at fridge temperature. All the news outlets are reporting the story and I like what I read on the BBC site. No need to repeat all the details here.

When the virus first emerged in China in January the Oxford team had a head start as they were already engineering a vaccine to be used with the SARS virus. This could be adapted for COVID. On January 11 the Chinese team who identified COVID published its genetic code to the worldwide scientific community. Now get this. Professor Sarah Gilbert with assistance from colleagues designed the vaccine over the weekend. As you do, just like that. They have spent the following months perfecting it and getting it trialled. Stupendous achievement. We appear to be in her debt.

I called this thread Woman of the year, and she is that without doubt in my opinion. Surely a Nobel prize for Medicine will be forthcoming. I hope so. We need heroes and heroines in this world of ours. She is one. Mine anyway.