Re: Board Games

Escalado!

You hit on my favourite game there!

We play it (or did in normal times) three or four times a year.
It comes with five horses in basic colours, but I have 29 horses! All hand painted in proper racing colours. All named and numbered. A meeting consists of each horse running in one of five races, then each winning horse goes into a final race. Betting and prize-money ( all play money of course!)
Being a saddo I keep a record of all individual horses form and present the “odds” prior to each race. I am the commentator too, as well as course manager and banker!

Phil in Northampton

Hi Jon

Theoretically they are all identical, ie presumably from the same factory mould. However in reality, looking at results over time some consistently perform better than others which seems a bit bizarre.
In an effort to “improve “ some of the poor performers I have tried a very slight manipulation of their legs !
In some cases it shows an improvement others not. As you can tell I take it very seriously!

Indeed it was “ manipulation “ that broke one of my five original horses legs! It was a communication with “Chad Valley” that resulted in them sending me five sets of five new horses!

Phil in Northampton

I remember my parents or even possibly grandparents having this game when I was a kid. I have an abiding memory of a lot of 3 legged horses & most of the horses would fall over when the handle was turned. I was fascinated by the game & the horses looked beautiful, but as I recall, the anticipation far outweighed the reality.

Good Afternoon!

I don’t own the Logo game but have played it in the distant past, I thought it ok, but it’s a case of you either know it or you don’t, as in any question type games. I prefer more strategy based games, where decisions take time to unfold as the game evolves.

For fun I googled top ten board games... well what a mix of results, no two the same!

American influences, calling “Cluedo” just “Clue”

A top five from one....

1. Chess
2. Stratego
3. Monopoly
4. Risk
5. Settlers of Catan

Only one I have got is the Catan one. Any recommendations for it?

Also surprised Stratego so high, but it’s not on other lists!

Phil in Northampton

Not played Settlers of Catan but the rest of that list doesn't really wow me.

Oh. Just thought of one. Formula One. What I especially like about it is that, though dice are involved, your driving strategy is key to how hard a poor dice roll can hurt you.

Formula One!

Another nostalgic one, not got it now but we had it as kids at home. Think I was probably too young to appreciate it though as I can’t recall ever playing it seriously. My brother was five years older so it was more likely bought for him.

I remember liking the little cars but the dashboard thing was beyond meat the time!

Phil in Northampton