Re: Cheltenham Festival

pembsexile wrote:Never been to Cheltenham but have been to other meetings with friends. I know nearly nothing about the horses but it is certainly an experience. Cheltenham even on the tv is something else.

I think I am going to try something different this year. For about 10 years I have looked ‘at the races’ and tried to study form, jockey, trainer info etc. I have spent a lot of time doing it. Some of my friends just pick on the day and so far have done better than me. All statistics and it hasn’t exactly earned me a fortune although I have enjoyed it. Sometimes up, sometimes down, never anything serious though. I normally set a budget of what I can lose and being a tight git I never go over it. This year I have cleared one of my on line accounts and will put some money in this weekend and only use that for Cheltenham. I can track my profit/loss easier that way. see it as an ‘entertainment’ project, similar to going out.

I am toying with the idea of studying and watching the trainers this year. Mullins, Nichols, Tizzard, Henderson, Skelton, which one will come out on top.

I have looked at the guide for the first race, the Supreme Novices Hurdle. What I am looking for is this, a good trainer, good form, the horse must have won his last 3 races. We’ll see. The thread stated with tips. Anyone got any tips for this race, if so, I would appreciate it!
Stop taking it seriously and if in doubt do number 13 :cheers:

mad norm wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Never been to Cheltenham but have been to other meetings with friends. I know nearly nothing about the horses but it is certainly an experience. Cheltenham even on the tv is something else.

I think I am going to try something different this year. For about 10 years I have looked ‘at the races’ and tried to study form, jockey, trainer info etc. I have spent a lot of time doing it. Some of my friends just pick on the day and so far have done better than me. All statistics and it hasn’t exactly earned me a fortune although I have enjoyed it. Sometimes up, sometimes down, never anything serious though. I normally set a budget of what I can lose and being a tight git I never go over it. This year I have cleared one of my on line accounts and will put some money in this weekend and only use that for Cheltenham. I can track my profit/loss easier that way. see it as an ‘entertainment’ project, similar to going out.

I am toying with the idea of studying and watching the trainers this year. Mullins, Nichols, Tizzard, Henderson, Skelton, which one will come out on top.

I have looked at the guide for the first race, the Supreme Novices Hurdle. What I am looking for is this, a good trainer, good form, the horse must have won his last 3 races. We’ll see. The thread stated with tips. Anyone got any tips for this race, if so, I would appreciate it!
Stop taking it seriously and if in doubt do number 13 :cheers:
Norm, if you read and understood my last sentence you would know that I don’t take it too seriously.

I am toying with the idea of studying and watching the trainers this year. Mullins, Nichols, Tizzard, Henderson, Skelton, which one will come out on top

Hi Mike
I've gone for metier in the supreme! at 5/1 anti post it seems a good bet, also had an ew on bob olinger at 16/1 anti post.

llanwern exile wrote:

I am toying with the idea of studying and watching the trainers this year. Mullins, Nichols, Tizzard, Henderson, Skelton, which one will come out on top

Hi Mike
I've gone for metier in the supreme! at 5/1 anti post it seems a good bet, also had an ew on bob olinger at 16/1 anti post.
Nice one mate. I can’t see beyond the favourite at the moment in the Supreme. Haven’t bet yet. I see there are 18 runners at the moment but I wonder how many will be left on the day. It’s good that most on line bookies give money back for a non runner.

Done a bit of checking on the Champion Hurdle later in the day. I have my selection there. Going has to be good though so we will wait and see before I mention it. Just hope the rain stops and the wind dries things out.

I’m only going to do two bets on day 1. Unless of course I win the first! :cheers:

Good Afternoon

You two are far more conscientious than myself! I won’t even look at them until final declaration day before!
Also I’ll have a small wager in every race, if I’m watching it. I understand six races per day being shown on poor mans telly.
Daughter’s boyfriend reckons he is in a what’s app group that is in the know ! We will see how that goes!

Phil in Northampton

I think Silver Streak in the Champion Hurdle is a great E/W bet at about 14/1
My mate has a few horses with the trainer Evan Williams and I know the trainer fancies his chances. He trained the Welsh Grand National winner this year and his horses are running well
No certainty but I've had a nice bet on him

worksop amber wrote:I think Silver Streak in the Champion Hurdle is a great E/W bet at about 14/1
My mate has a few horses with the trainer Evan Williams and I know the trainer fancies his chances. He trained the Welsh Grand National winner this year and his horses are running well
Me too WA. As you say, it’s an each way bet as I wouldn’t bet against Honeysuckle as so far he has won all his races. I hope the price stays at 12, 14/1. Epetante is the second favourite but Silver Steak beat him when they last raced in December. The only proviso for me is the going. If it is good, he should be fine. If it is soft or heavy, I won’t be backing him. Rain, rain stay away :cheers:

pembsexile wrote:
worksop amber wrote:I think Silver Streak in the Champion Hurdle is a great E/W bet at about 14/1
Me too WA. As you say, it’s an each way bet as I wouldn’t bet against Honeysuckle as so far he has won all his races. I hope the price stays at 12, 14/1. Epetante is the second favourite but Silver Steak beat him when they last raced in December. The only proviso for me is the going. If it is good, he should be fine. If it is soft or heavy, I won’t be backing him. Rain, rain stay away :cheers:
I agree about the going mate
Supposed to be dry Monday n Tuesday with a bit of a breeze so hopefully it'll be ok
Never know what will happen during a race so fingers crossed
Got 14/1 with Ladbrokes guaranteed odds

UPTHEPORT wrote:Sky bet giving money back if you're horse losses first race tomorrow up to a tenner
Just need some clarification on this one Jim. The money back is for win only. That means if you put an each way bet on you will only get the win part of the bet back if your horse loses, not the e/w bit.

I have just loaded up my account ready. Got my selection. If he wins, great, 11/8 at the moment. If he loses, I get my money back. Just hope he wins. I would appreciate it.

worksop amber wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Advance going now good to soft. 10mm of rain at Cheltenham overnight. I may have to rethink my selection of Silver Streak for the Champion Hurdle.
I'm already on Mike so no going back for me.
Come on wind let's dry it out
Checked back on his form and he has run a few decent races in good to soft so not unduly worried as long as it doesn't get any softer