Cheltenham Festival

I love the festival week its one of my highlights of the year, so its sad that i can't have my usual 2 days at the best race meeting in the world.
So what i was thinking is if we all got together and shared any hot tips with each other, you never know a few of us may end up a fair few quid better off.

Re: Cheltenham Festival

I’m in mate. Haven’t got any tips yet though. I’ll have to start doing my research soon. At the races is normally good. I am getting prompt emails from Betfair asking me to build up a kitty. I’ll wait and see what offers they come up with I think. Money back offers are normally good.

pembsexile wrote:I’m in mate. Haven’t got any tips yet though. I’ll have to start doing my research soon. At the races is normally good. I am getting prompt emails from Betfair asking me to build up a kitty. I’ll wait and see what offers they come up with I think. Money back offers are normally good.
Hi Mike
My missus usualy texts me tips as she works the whole week in hospitality, she works a box owned by a lovely irishman mr michael masterson who is an owner and usualy has a couple of horses running at the festival they are trained by willie mullins he gives her tips and they are usually there or thereabouts, unfortunatley with lockdown she wont be working this year so i will have to pick them out myself.

Good Morning both!

Looking forward to Cheltenham as always, rarely come away making a profit mind! These days my risk is a lot lower than in times past. I’ll be content with £1 win bets and 50p each ways, previous years it would have been a fiver a race and often quite costly. Still I guess even that is nothing compared to the hardened gamblers.
I run a tipping competition at work for a fiver, winner takes all so that also maintains an interest with around a dozen people entering.
I know Mike you normally have a party time too, what this time though?

Regards tips I’m afraid I have no contacts at all and would be wary to share and be responsible for someone losing their money!

At Cheltenham every horse, rider and trainer is doing their utmost to win, sometimes not 100% I feel in day to day racing.

Good luck to all who like a flutter, please keep within your limits though!

Phil in Northampton

Morning Phil,
This is meant to be a bit of fun mate! i know we all get tips now and again and 99% of them turn out to be donkeys, i dont think anybody would hold anyone responsable for a dud tip as its upto the individual if they want to stick a couple of bob on it, its just a bit of a helping hand when your looking at the card and scratching the old grey matter :lol:

As stated before I don't do online gambling....
My 10p lucky 15 is my daily contribution to Mr Coral plus my Footy bet acca when we play.I
My nexus tablet finally gave up the ghost recently,so with a good percentage I've saved since lockdown put towards its purchase I am now in possession of a new Amazon Fire that I'm happy with.
I will do my mad tips for Cheltenham on here....based on my system of sillyness

Good Afternoon

In the olden days, horse racing “systems” were all the rage. This is back before internet and electronic wizardry. I used to own a couple of really old booklets, listing a few. It also had all the courses, many since closed down, with top trainers, jockeys and winning favourite percentages in different kinds of races, handicaps, sellers, sprints etc.
It was fascinating stuff.

I can recall one system for picking horses in a six timer accumulator.

The two races with the shortest fields the selected horse is the predicted favourite in the daily paper. The third lowest take the second favourite, fourth, the third favourite and so on.

Put selections in trebles, four timers and onwards.

It has a kind of logic to it!

My own Cheltenham “system”. The horse must have won its last race, and not been out of first three in last six races, three of which must be this season. We will see how that goes!

You will also see folks selling tips... I never got this, why not just put your money on them yourself instead of selling them! ( if they were that good!) Always some poor punter desperate to find quick money by giving there’s to someone else!

Phil in Northampton

I've never been to the Cheltenham Festival. In fact I've only been to three race meetings in my life (Uttoxeter, Ripon, York).

There was lots of standing around in the cold, queuing to place bets, queuing for a drink, rushing to finish said drink as the next race had started. Clearly I could've been better-organised but I didn't really get the appeal of it, yet people rave about it.

My sister studied in Cheltenham so did some casual work during the festival and said the place was buzzing with Irish music and so forth. So I'm left wondering if it's simply the Irish influence that makes Cheltenham different from a bleak afternoon in Uttoxeter?

For anyone who has never been to a race meeting i would say you dont know what your missing out on, as i said in the op i love cheltenham its one of the highlights of my year its not about the gambling its about the experience of the occation the horses the people making new friends who you meet every year its something i love and its sad that this year its not possible to attend
Hopefully lockdown will be over soon, and when it is may i suggest an evening meeting at chepstow i think if you have never been before this is something that you would really enjoy.

Good Morning

Everything depends on what you want out of the day, I know some go to the races, sit in the bar and watch it all on a big screen, they don’t see a live horse all the time they are there!
Personally I don’t need to bother with the bar. Before the race we take a look at the parade ring, enjoy perusing the odds amongst the various bookies. Also put a bet on early and if able , wander down to stand alongside one of the fences to see close up action, or even the start. Different experiences throughout the afternoon.
However there is a world of difference between picnicking in the warm sunshine, in July at Great Yarmouth and a freezing cold afternoon at Towcester in November!

Phil in Northampton

Never been to Cheltenham but have been to other meetings with friends. I know nearly nothing about the horses but it is certainly an experience. Cheltenham even on the tv is something else.

I think I am going to try something different this year. For about 10 years I have looked ‘at the races’ and tried to study form, jockey, trainer info etc. I have spent a lot of time doing it. Some of my friends just pick on the day and so far have done better than me. All statistics and it hasn’t exactly earned me a fortune although I have enjoyed it. Sometimes up, sometimes down, never anything serious though. I normally set a budget of what I can lose and being a tight git I never go over it. This year I have cleared one of my on line accounts and will put some money in this weekend and only use that for Cheltenham. I can track my profit/loss easier that way. see it as an ‘entertainment’ project, similar to going out.

I am toying with the idea of studying and watching the trainers this year. Mullins, Nichols, Tizzard, Henderson, Skelton, which one will come out on top.

I have looked at the guide for the first race, the Supreme Novices Hurdle. What I am looking for is this, a good trainer, good form, the horse must have won his last 3 races. We’ll see. The thread stated with tips. Anyone got any tips for this race, if so, I would appreciate it!