Re: BBC Cardiff

Have I got this right - there was no commentary on Tuesday night anywhere on Radio Wales?

But in the pre-game slot yesterday they played a clip (it sounded like a RW voice, not BBC Essex) on Colchester's second going in. Does this mean they have someone at the game just recording a commentary so they can use clips later, days after the commentary has lost any value? If so, basic misunderstanding of the difference between radio and TV.

I could find no commentary anywhere on Tuesday night. Plenty of Janice Long on RW in the game time slot but not much else. Yesterday to be honest I didn't even bother looking.

I wrote to the First Minister about this problem a while ago. Last week I had a reply from a Dr Hywel Owen at the Media unit in WAG. He contacted the BBC on my behalf. I have to say, their response is pathetic. All rubbish about analogue transmitters and Friday night coverage in a different sports programme.

I have come to the conclusion that it is a complete and utter waste of time complaining to anyone about this problem. The BBC do not even acknowledge that the problem exists.

That's a new one on me in the argument game. How do you argue your case when your adversary won't even recognise that you have an issue? We just need to accept it. BBC Wales do not give a stuff about us and will not change their stance. Not much else I can do.

In the grand scheme of things it is quite a trivial matter (not for me personally of course). What it does do is give me some understanding of how other people in the world feel when they say they are not listened to and when no one will acknowledge their problem. Sad really, so bloody sad.

pembsexile wrote:I could find no commentary anywhere on Tuesday night. Plenty of Janice Long on RW in the game time slot but not much else. Yesterday to be honest I didn't even bother looking.

I wrote to the First Minister about this problem a while ago. Last week I had a reply from a Dr Hywel Owen at the Media unit in WAG. He contacted the BBC on my behalf. I have to say, their response is pathetic. All rubbish about analogue transmitters and Friday night coverage in a different sports programme.

I have come to the conclusion that it is a complete and utter waste of time complaining to anyone about this problem. The BBC do not even acknowledge that the problem exists.

That's a new one on me in the argument game. How do you argue your case when your adversary won't even recognise that you have an issue? We just need to accept it. BBC Wales do not give a stuff about us and will not change their stance. Not much else I can do.

In the grand scheme of things it is quite a trivial matter (not for me personally of course). What it does do is give me some understanding of how other people in the world feel when they say they are not listened to and when no one will acknowledge their problem. Sad really, so bloody sad.
Since a boy I have listened to Radio and the BBC output over many years was excellent. I’m putting it down to aging that dumbing down is now the order of the day with celebrity nonsense and a lack of political fairness or objectivity ( just listen to the Today programme , it’s like a right wing think tank thanks to Robinson and Humphrys ).
BBC Wales has a spot of its own when it comes to bias and incompetence as those of us who have pursued them on the County coverage issue would confirm. I have even complained that their reply to my complaint didn’t address the issues raised. Surprise, surprise no reply as yet. I’ve been told that they even had two reporters at one of our recent games but of course didn’t give us any coverage of the game at all. They are a waste of good food ( and oxygen for that matter ) and it’s time for licence money to stop - and that’s something I never thought I’d say.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Just to add that I had a very positive response from Jayne Bryant AM and Jessica Morden MP, who have both said they will be following the issue up with BBC Wales to say that their stock response is not good enough. Fair play to both for taking an interest in the issue.

Yep I believe Jayne is a County fan as well

Maybe we should have a protest at a certain time during the Walsall match. As it's a cup game no doubt Radio Wales will at least have commentary online, and of course it's live on S4C. All those in the Hazell could turn round and chant something to Rob Phillips (or whoever). Any suggestions?

Blackandamber wrote:Maybe we should have a protest at a certain time during the Walsall match. As it's a cup game no doubt Radio Wales will at least have commentary online, and of course it's live on S4C. All those in the Hazell could turn round and chant something to Rob Phillips (or whoever). Any suggestions?
Good idea

Given that the BBC collects 5 billion a year in licence fees, of which 3 billion goes to the treasury,
2 billion to the BBC, you would think that they could afford at least one Jurno in her grubby plastic mac to
report on the county game via a laptop, (she could buy her own laptop to save them money), but Newport, in general,
gets no press in BBC media, unless it's to tell everyone how rough the city is. How about some banners with 'No to BBC Wales,
placed around the ground to catch the Sky cameras, I remember one Cardiff MP who complained that an M4 sign just outside
London showed the distance to Newport, not Cardiff! You have to wonder if Cardiff councillors influence BBC Wales who are located in Cardiff Bay, to promote Cardiff above other teams. Perhaps a campaign to get people in Newport not to watch BBC fails (sorry Wales) and tune into BBC west or ITV Wales. I'm sure Plaid Cymru (Not a Supporter) would say the Labour-controlled assembly is lead by the English Labour party and is only interested in Cardiff not the whole of Wales. Excuse the rant, but I'm fed up of BBC Wales.

MisterB wrote:Maybe time to stop watching and listening and cancel licence if people are that bothered and tell them why, or suck it up and pay for iFollow.

Yes, I am that bothered actually. Thanks for your suggestion but I think I will dump that one. Could you please tell me what personal benefit it would be to me if I were to cancel my BBC license. I would therefore miss the benefit of all other TV programmes. Someone said something the other day about cutting your nose off to spite your face. Exactly.

It is just not too much to ask that a National broadcaster should broadcast a similar percentage of County games to the other teams located within that country. Rocket science it ain't.

You mentioned iFollow. Don't make me laugh. I would like live commentary not delayed commentary.

Justanordinaryfan wrote:Believe me, when there are no other options, the IFollow service, is a great fantastic product. Admittedly you need to switch Jeff off whilst you listen, but for me that’s a very small price to pay.
You could delay Jeff by a minute or two, so it lines up with the Ifollow delay.