Re: Calling all Numismatists

big baz wrote:Pretty certain I have a spare Shakespeare’s comedies one. Will have a look. Also may have the football one. Will check for that as well. Got a few Gibraltar coins aswell
Cheers Baz. Let me know what you want (money or swaps) for the Shakespeare comedies and 50p football and we can sort something. Thanks.

big baz wrote:Is the football one the one with the pitch on or the one with players ?
It's the 50p one with the pitch on it. It is sometimes called the coin with the 'offside rule' as it is explained on the coin. If you have that I will make an offer. It is the last coin I need to make another Olympic set for one of my grandkids.

Regarding your other post about the Kew Gardens coin, as you say, hold on to it. They are selling on eBay for about £70 as they are well sought after. However, as they are valuable they are the most counterfeited coin out there. Some people even sell them (the counterfeit one) as a 'genuine copy' on eBay for about £5.

Just for info for people - there is a guy in South Wales importing them (and others) from China apparently. The Royal Mint is aware and are actively pursuing. Quick check if a coin is genuine. Hold the Sovereigns head upright on any coin in your hand and spin the coin through 180 degrees. If the markings on the coin on the other side are not facing straight up in line with the Sovereign but are at an angle, it is a fake. I have been given in change a few myself, I keep them for novelty value only of course.

mad norm wrote:Just been fossicking through a tin ..
Two phials of plastic wrapped half new pennies 1971 straight from bank
One ditto One new pennies in a white paper wrapping
Some farthings,silver threepenny pieces
AND amazingly a Roman coin with the date 12 BC on it
Wow, that's incredible Norm. Those clever Romans knew about Christmas Day 12 years before Jesus mother did. :grin:

UPTHEPORT wrote:Of all the modern coins which is worth the most
Current eBay (realistic) prices Jim;

Kew Gardens 50p - approx £70
Northern Ireland Commonwealth games £2 - approx £35
Other Commonwealth games - approx £8-£14
2016 Jemmima Puddleduck 50p - approx £7

Look out for Sir Isaac Newton 50p 2017. They are very rare. The montage figures were realeased today and it is estimated (via change checker website) that they will be worth more than Kew Gardens soon.

If you want to make a killing go along to the Royal Mint this month. I will be going. The 2018 Isaac Newton 50p coin will only be made available from there and you can strike it yourself. They have a limited number and estimate the deal will only last for a month. They are going to be very rare. However, it does cost £14 to do the Royal Mint experience. Good visit though.

Harps62 wrote:I get the presentation books via my daughter Pembs but they sold out the Olympic games 50P one ages ago.
Only one I haven't got so keep them loose.
Have got a Isle of Man/Jersey/Guernsey and Gibralter 50P just one of each are they worth anything over 50p?
The Royal Mint only sell Brilliant Uncirculated (2 strikes) and Proof type (3 strikes) coins. You're right they sold out of the Olympic ones ages ago. They don't sell 'circulating' coins though even though they manufacture them. Crazy. It's the circulating one that I want (Olympic football 50p).

The IoM/Jersey/Gib and Guernsey that you have are part of the island collection. They probably aren't worth more than about £1 each but as part of a set will be worth more. Think there is a Falkland Is that goes with that as well. The larger, older type 50p are still out there but being withdrawn. They are worth a bit more. All good fun and interesting.