BORN KICKING.... female footballer in men's team?

Been thinking lately about ladies football. It certainly seems to be getting popular, and some of the players are really quite good. Some of them are not so good mind you.
I got to thinking about the 1992 TV Drama , 'Born Kicking', which was filmed at QPR's Loftus Road, and used QPR's first team strip at the time.
The idea behind the show, was the notion that within Ladies football, comes a player, Roxanne Reddy (played by Eve Barker), who happens to be so good, so very good, that she has the chance to play alongside and against men. There are some legal issues around whether she'd be allowed to do so, but she's such a good player that all obstacles are overcome, so that she can in fact join the men's team.
Already nowadays, we have female match officials and reasonable adjustments are made to accommodate their privacy when getting changed, showering etc...... and often fans will tease them about their ability to officiate, but that's reducing all the time, and rightly so.
But thinking about female players, my question is, if a female player came along who was good enough, strong enough and wanted to do so, would she be allowed to play in the FL?....... could changing room issues be overcome? Would current anti-discrimination laws allow it to happen?.... Would the footballing authorities support her efforts to join a men's team? Would lawyers take up her case if necessary?
Basically, could 'Born Kicking' really happen in this day and age, if a real life Roxy Reddy came along?..... would there be so much money involved in sponsorship and other exclusivity, that the money would be so great, it would somehow be MADE to happen?

A top class, female player in a male team, we'll say for example, Aston Villa..... could it happen? Should it happen?
We're talking about a female player equal to her male counterparts in every way. Could it happen? If not, why not?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... @._V1_.jpg
Last edited by newgroundrodney on January 14th, 2018, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: BORN KICKING.... female footballer in men's team?

I actually reffed a game where Melissa Barbieri - the Australian Women's Keeper - played in the Reserves in a highish level State League game in Melbourne - she was out of her depth. It was believed it was the first instance of a woman playing in State League football here. I have reffed a lot of State League Womens's games here too, which would be one rung below the professional league here, and I must say the talent pool is quite shallow. The top teams are quite good and it can be quite physical at times, but I have to say, on the whole the girls would struggle with the physical nature of men's football.

Last season Sarah Taylor, the England wicket keeper, played first grade cricket here too. That is more impressive as first grade here is as close to being first class cricket without it being first class if you know what I'm saying. She is a great wicketkeeper, but not sure about her batting against the quicks, as most girls tend to struggle, as they just dont face quick and aggressive bowling very often so their skillset isn't up to the men's level.

If we have this discussion in 20 years time and a whole new generation of footballers and cricketers come through, I have no doubt there will be more instances of this happening.

Re: BORN KICKING.... female footballer in men's team?

bignbeefy wrote:I actually reffed a game where Melissa Barbieri - the Australian Women's Keeper - played in the Reserves in a highish level State League game in Melbourne - she was out of her depth. It was believed it was the first instance of a woman playing in State League football here. I have reffed a lot of State League Womens's games here too, which would be one rung below the professional league here, and I must say the talent pool is quite shallow. The top teams are quite good and it can be quite physical at times, but I have to say, on the whole the girls would struggle with the physical nature of men's football.

Last season Sarah Taylor, the England wicket keeper, played first grade cricket here too. That is more impressive as first grade here is as close to being first class cricket without it being first class if you know what I'm saying. She is a great wicketkeeper, but not sure about her batting against the quicks, as most girls tend to struggle, as they just dont face quick and aggressive bowling very often so their skillset isn't up to the men's level.

If we have this discussion in 20 years time and a whole new generation of footballers and cricketers come through, I have no doubt there will be more instances of this happening.
That's some great insight into things there. The drama 'Born Kicking' though, was dealing with a female player who was EQUAL in every way, pace, strength, skill, stamina to her male counterparts..... so rule changes were brought in to recognise her equality. Could it happen today, and indeed should it?....