Re: Do we use the FA Cup money

UPTHEPORT wrote:To get promoted im up for it ! :cheers:
There is no right or wrong to this question. If we use the money on players it should improve our promotion chances.

I would spend the money by trying to work out a deal with Dragons and Newport City Council to have a share in Rodney Parade which will enable us to develop the stadium and to benefit from that development in future years.

I could cite Cambridge United but suspect that there are examples whereby investment in playing staff did the trick. As I say my opinion is long standing but is no more valid than that of anyone else.

80% infrastructure / training / ticketing /shop improvement, etc, etc,
20% into the clubs coffers
0% anything whatsoever to do with players / squad....

I'm sorry, but this is a windfall we can't waste. Players come and go, it's the club that endures, it's the club we need to set up a bit.......at the moment, we're little more than a football club "on paper".

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:To get promoted im up for it ! :cheers:
There is no right or wrong to this question. If we use the money on players it should improve our promotion chances.

I would spend the money by trying to work out a deal with Dragons and Newport City Council to have a share in Rodney Parade which will enable us to develop the stadium and to benefit from that development in future years.

I could cite Cambridge United but suspect that there are examples whereby investment in playing staff did the trick. As I say my opinion is long standing but is no more valid than that of anyone else.
+1 ...importantly an equity stake in RP

We went along with Les just pumping money into the players budget.When he left,we realised that was wrong and money should have gone on the infrastructure.I hope we don't make the same mistake again.A small sum in the player fund but let's get this training ground that MF wants and plan ahead for a stronger foothold at RP or look at developing Spytty.

Some good points raised above. The priority has to be the ground situation, training facilities and youth development - in that order. But if a small proportion can be used to bring in one or two loanees to bolster the team's promotion prospects, then I don't think anyone would begrudge Flynny the chance to show what he can do.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Some good points raised above. The priority has to be the ground situation, training facilities and youth development - in that order. But if a small proportion can be used to bring in one or two loanees to bolster the team's promotion prospects, then I don't think anyone would begrudge Flynny the chance to show what he can do.
Well balanced view imho and I agree entirely ( because you’re absolutely right :grin: ). We need a better presence at RP in terms of shop,ticketing,posters , advertising etc and hopefully be on really good terms with the landlord and hope maybe to have a stake there eventually. The training ground and youth policy is a no-brainer of course and like you said it would be really poor if the BoD didn’t back Flynny on those matters and with a modest tilt at promotion. Don’t know how far the money will go towards the training facility, have we made enough to do much in that direction, do you think?

lowandhard wrote:Don’t know how far the money will go towards the training facility, have we made enough to do much in that direction, do you think?
For argument's sake, let's say we've made £800,000 from the FA Cup run (we've already made £700,000, plus we'll get £72k for TV rights for the replay). Take away from that the extra costs with the additional seating, added staff/volunteer costs/expenses for dealing with the ticketing, stewarding and policing - as a ballpark let's call it £650k as a conservative estimate.

I'd imagine £250k would go a long way towards boosting the training facilities, and likewise £250k would surely open a few doors with the WRU for talking about how we could help improve RP in exchange for a small stake in ownership. That leaves a bit of cash left over to bring in a few loanees, with the rest topping up the budget of the academy sides.

Quite happy to be told my maths is way out, but it's a starter for ten.

George Street-Bridge wrote:What's Akinde's workrate in comparison? I only saw him for 45 minutes in that abandoned game.
I don't know, I'm not at every Barnet game, but it must be enough for Graham Westley to have sensed the concern with Akinde's presence in the Barnet team. In fairness to Graham, he DID say, "don't worry about John Akinde, we'll have him under control"...and in fairness we did!
I'd still rather Akinde than Nouble, but not really sure we need to bring anyone in yet.....not just yet. Let's use the money on more important stuff first.