New Ground Rodney.

I hope this does not embarrass him too much.

I have always hoped that Newport County would be more than just another football club. Rather that it would be something which binds our community together. So many of the sons and daughters of our great town are scattered all over. Mostly we having moved to find work. And in the end what are we if not the result of our life experience?

To become the club that I would love to see sometimes we all need to strip away the cynicism of which we are all guilty of and frankly I am as guilty as any.

NGR obtained my three tickets. He also queued to get six tickets for others. Until about five o'clock yesterday I had never met him. He also placed up notices on here for fans in need of tickets to get in touch with fans who needed tickets for the game. He did so not for personal gain or to curry favour. He did so only because he is that type of person. He is the type of fan you will find at every club, he is the type of fan that makes me proud to be a football fan.

People like NGR don't seek attention or praise. Having met with him I suspect he will be mildly embarrassed by this post. No matter.

NGR you are a credit to your parents, your town, your club and to yourself. Thank you!

Re: New Ground Rodney.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I hope this does not embarrass him too much.

I have always hoped that Newport County would be more than just another football club. Rather that it would be something which binds our community together. So many of the sons and daughters of our great town are scattered all over. Mostly we having moved to find work. And in the end what are we if not the result of our life experience?

To become the club that I would love to see sometimes we all need to strip away the cynicism of which we are all guilty of and frankly I am as guilty as any.

NGR obtained my three tickets. He also queued to get six tickets for others. Until about five o'clock yesterday I had never met him. He also placed up notices on here for fans in need of tickets to get in touch with fans who needed tickets for the game. He did so not for personal gain or to curry favour. He did so only because he is that type of person. He is the type of fan you will find at every club, he is the type of fan that makes me proud to be a football fan.

People like NGR don't seek attention or praise. Having met with him I suspect he will be mildly embarrassed by this post. No matter.

NGR you are a credit to your parents, your town, your club and to yourself. Thank you!
Your best post. Yes, he certainly comes across as a thoroughly good man. It's what this club should be about.

Gee shucks you guys!.... :oops:

Stan it was my pleasure to have helped. To me, the thought of any County fan who was able to go, not being able to get a ticket FOR WHATEVER REASON, kills me. But anyway, we had a large following, and pretty much most of our wider fanbase was in that stadium last night, barring a few with childcare / work commitments.

Stan, meeting you was a pleasure, your kindness and generosity totally unexpected and unnecessary. You share some of the same visions as myself, and we differ on other points, which is healthy.
I believe all ideas are good until they've been assessed / tried and then you carry on looking for other things that may work.

I don't know many people on this messageboard - you're only the third I've met knowingly - I don't know many connected with the club and that's fine.
I know some wonder how I can follow two teams, but truly, it's easy.
I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday, apart from some of the racist idiots who now seem to be attaching themselves to this club.... I would like to think it's not the last time we catch up at a match.
Thanks for your thoughtful words.

Good Evening!

Picking up on NGR's point about meeting other forum members, in our little on line community we have many "acquaintances ", the majority of whom we have never met.
Inevitably I create a mental picture of you all, based on how I perceive your character to be from your comments etc.
Football is our escapism from the real world, and you lot are part of that.
In my head I have a picture of Stan, would meeting him in person spoil my illusion?
I am sure you may have an image of me, and would probably be disappointed when you meet the boring old man behind the legendary nom de plume!
Having said that, the few folk I have met seemed normal, so somewhat dilutes my caricature image of them!
You are all real people, and more so the contributors who have been around since I joined about five years ago, many have disappeared and new folk arrived, it's now a part of daily life linked with our love of the County.
The recent successful cup run has rejuvenated this message board with noticeably more users and guests, and even the occasional sensible discussion!

Let's enjoy the rest of the season and strangers or not try and be more respectful to those with differing opinions to our own.

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Evening!

Picking up on NGR's point about meeting other forum members, in our little on line community we have many "acquaintances ", the majority of whom we have never met.
Inevitably I create a mental picture of you all, based on how I perceive your character to be from your comments etc.
Football is our escapism from the real world, and you lot are part of that.
In my head I have a picture of Stan, would meeting him in person spoil my illusion?
I am sure you may have an image of me, and would probably be disappointed when you meet the boring old man behind the legendary nom de plume!
Having said that, the few folk I have met seemed normal, so somewhat dilutes my caricature image of them!
You are all real people, and more so the contributors who have been around since I joined about five years ago, many have disappeared and new folk arrived, it's now a part of daily life linked with our love of the County.
The recent successful cup run has rejuvenated this message board with noticeably more users and guests, and even the occasional sensible discussion!

Let's enjoy the rest of the season and strangers or not try and be more respectful to those with differing opinions to our own.

Phil in Northampton
Cheers Phil - it's nice to be described as normal!!! amongst other things! (well I assume I came into that category) & I have also met NGR at Wembley at the FA Trophy final when I was over from Spain, although I have since moved back to Swansea - in fact going to walk down the road to watch the Academy team v Swansea in the FAW youth cup q/f in a few mins!