Re: Do we use the FA Cup money

Exile 1976 wrote:Possibly a daft question but I really don't know.
We've been told we have made around £750k - £1m from this cup run.... Is this tax free or after the taxman has taken his cut are we looking at an actual sum of around £350-500k ??????
The simple answer to that is the income is taxable. However certain expenditure is tax deductible. Again it's why businesses employ accountants.

The club finances are not my area of expertise, but I would say we need to be careful how we spend. In the reality of the modern football world, £1 million (there or thereabouts) is not a great deal. Yes, we can certainly do something with it. I just think that we need to be careful that we don't spread the money too thinly.

It would be great to imrove the training base, great to improve academy facilities, great to pay off a few debts and great if we could we improve the team. Is there enough money there to do all four. I doubt it.

My preference would be to improve the training base, then if there is any left, (fingers crossed) give it to MF for the team.

Dis-allowed wrote:Yes to establish a training ground, with sufficient ground around it to create a possible stadium and future home, the land at the Spencer works/Llanwern by spytty tesco looks good.
Cant see the point paying all that money why not join forces with a local Club say just an example Caldicot improve their pitch spend a bit of money on their changing rooms let some of our younger coaches train their players

Be good for both teams

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Dis-allowed wrote:Yes to establish a training ground, with sufficient ground around it to create a possible stadium and future home, the land at the Spencer works/Llanwern by spytty tesco looks good.
Cant see the point paying all that money why not join forces with a local Club say just an example Caldicot improve their pitch spend a bit of money on their changing rooms let some of our younger coaches train their players

Be good for both teams
Because one of the reasons players don't join clubs is because their facilities are rubbish in comparison to other teams.

SJG99 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

Be good for both teams
Because one of the reasons players don't join clubs is because their facilities are rubbish in comparison to other teams.
True but it's going to be a lot cheaper to sign a deal with a local club do their facilities up we get use of it in the day they get it Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon and evenings the days it's normally empty anyway

Uptheport,
'Cant see the point paying all that money why not join forces with a local Club say just an example Caldicot improve their pitch spend a bit of money on their changing rooms let some of our younger coaches train their players

Be good for both teams.

I do like your idea to include local clubs and I think we could do that with our own training ground
by inviting local teams to the training ground, but I would point out that we already do that with
Newport city at Spytty, if County establish a training ground it would be at least a home that
is ours, the reason I point to the old Spencer works pitch is the infrastructure is in place, SDR
M4, which give good access to the area, I think it is important to have a place to reflect for the team,
manager, board, to have an identity, as Somerton park gave County an identity, as the training ground
could be the registered office and still play at RP.

Wont fire damage be covered by insurance. And we have great training facilities as our director of operations GAVIN stated , so why spend money if not needed . Academy needs addressing as a football club in league 2 we sd have more coming through the ranks imo . Personally i dont think we make the play offs this year hope iam wrong just think there are teams who are in better form than us . So keep the money to strengthen in preseason and for a rainy day .

owlsabout wrote:Wont fire damage be covered by insurance. And we have great training facilities as our director of operations GAVIN stated , so why spend money if not needed . Academy needs addressing as a football club in league 2 we sd have more coming through the ranks imo . Personally i dont think we make the play offs this year hope iam wrong just think there are teams who are in better form than us . So keep the money to strengthen in preseason and for a rainy day .
I agree with the first part, I think Spytty for a fourth tier team is more than adequate. I also think it unlikely but not impossible we will make the playoffs.

I can see the argument for using the money to strengthen the team and saving for a rainy day. However for once we have money, a regime at Dragons which seems open to at least considering a joint approach and a new board member who has experience of working with the local authority.

I genuinely don't think that I will live to see a better opportunity for County to have a real stake in the stadium in which we play. For me that is far more important than any other consideration.