Re: TODAY - Exiles v Forest Green Rovers

George Street-Bridge wrote:Looking down the other end of the telescope, ignoring the rugby completely we don't want to do anything ourselves which will damage the pitch long-term for our own future use.

That seems to have happened at Spytty the year we were readmitted to the Welsh Cup when we played a tie against Barry Town which by some accounts should never have started let alone finished. .
Well, at least at Rodney Parade the club won't be at the mercy of the council renting out the pitch for midweek floodlit matches which definitely shouldn't have been played. I hired Newport Stadium for a Carlsberg Pub Cup game in the mid-90s. The pitch was a quagmire when we got there, it was chucking it down before, during and after, but if we didn't play it that night we'd both have been knocked out due to a match deadline.

Quick word with the ref who found a semi-dry patch to bounce a ball on and away we went. Pitch was an absolute state when we finished, how AFC played on it 2½ days later I have no idea, but at least the council made (about) £120...

Re: TODAY - Exiles v Forest Green Rovers

SJG99 wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Looking down the other end of the telescope, ignoring the rugby completely we don't want to do anything ourselves which will damage the pitch long-term for our own future use.

That seems to have happened at Spytty the year we were readmitted to the Welsh Cup when we played a tie against Barry Town which by some accounts should never have started let alone finished. .
Well, at least at Rodney Parade the club won't be at the mercy of the council renting out the pitch for midweek floodlit matches which definitely shouldn't have been played. I hired Newport Stadium for a Carlsberg Pub Cup game in the mid-90s. The pitch was a quagmire when we got there, it was chucking it down before, during and after, but if we didn't play it that night we'd both have been knocked out due to a match deadline.

Quick word with the ref who found a semi-dry patch to bounce a ball on and away we went. Pitch was an absolute state when we finished, how AFC played on it 2½ days later I have no idea, but at least the council made (about) £120...
Think there was a womens friendly rugby international down RP last year at the very worst time when games were being postponed or abandoned but they still went ahead and wrecked it a bit more.