Re: TODAY - Exiles v Forest Green Rovers

Amberexile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Well, the weather warnings about heavy rain have been in place, hopefully they have the rain covers in place ...
Do we actually have rain covers? I know we have frost covers and remember the rugby allowing us to use the rain covers they brought in to make sure a televised game went ahead but I though that was a one-off.
No we bought a set of rain covers at the time when pressure was being applied by the EFL because of the pitch issues. I think the cost was circa £20k and to my knowledge they were only ever used once,

Amberexile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Well, the weather warnings about heavy rain have been in place, hopefully they have the rain covers in place ...
Do we actually have rain covers? I know we have frost covers and remember the rugby allowing us to use the rain covers they brought in to make sure a televised game went ahead but I though that was a one-off.

Yes we bought them, used them last season once or twice and have offered them to the rugby to use if they like too.

This below is from the club website in March last year ..

The Club is appealing to its supporters for approximately 40-50 volunteers to help us sweep water off the rain covers tomorrow morning and to help remove them from the Rodney Parade pitch.
A decision was made by the Club to invest in rain covers in January to help prevent further postponements and took the decision yesterday afternoon to lay them in anticipation of today’s forecast of heavy rain.
Anyone who wishes to volunteer should dress for wet and muddy conditions (no football boots) and bring along a broom (if they have one).  Should you wish to volunteer please email office@newport-county.co.uk and report to the Programme Shop (behind the North Terrace) at 9.30am.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:

Yes we bought them, used them last season once or twice and have offered them to the rugby to use if they like too.

This below is from the club website in March last year ..

The Club is appealing to its supporters for approximately 40-50 volunteers to help us sweep water off the rain covers tomorrow morning and to help remove them from the Rodney Parade pitch.
A decision was made by the Club to invest in rain covers in January to help prevent further postponements and took the decision yesterday afternoon to lay them in anticipation of today’s forecast of heavy rain.
Anyone who wishes to volunteer should dress for wet and muddy conditions (no football boots) and bring along a broom (if they have one).  Should you wish to volunteer please email office@newport-county.co.uk and report to the Programme Shop (behind the North Terrace) at 9.30am.
That's good to know thanks.
Forecast looking pretty good for this weekend at the moment so doubt they will be needed this time.

lowandhard wrote:From the latest explanation for the postponement I’ve heard , it seems rain covers wouldn’t have helped us last Saturday. Apparently ice below the surface was blocking the surface water from draining :shock: I hope that’s true as it’s infinitely better than the drainage being fvcked! Was it really that cold the day before?
Definitely freezing mate, my wheelie bin lid was stuck down with ice when i went out about ten

daftasfxxx wrote:
lowandhard wrote:From the latest explanation for the postponement I’ve heard , it seems rain covers wouldn’t have helped us last Saturday. Apparently ice below the surface was blocking the surface water from draining :shock: I hope that’s true as it’s infinitely better than the drainage being fvcked! Was it really that cold the day before?
Definitely freezing mate, my wheelie bin lid was stuck down with ice when i went out about ten
Hopefully that’s the explanation then, it would probably be a rare occurrence if true then. What may have saved the game was frost covers the night before and not rain covers on the day!

lowandhard wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:
Hopefully that’s the explanation then, it would probably be a rare occurrence if true then. What may have saved the game was frost covers the night before and not rain covers on the day!
The forecast the night before was 3-4 degrees but i think the windchill factor took over as i said with us it pissed down most of the night but it was also freezing had that terrible rain ice on my windscreen we live in a dip out Malpas RP is low to the river

UPTHEPORT wrote:
The forecast the night before was 3-4 degrees but i think the windchill factor took over as i said with us it pissed down most of the night but it was also freezing had that terrible rain ice on my windscreen we live in a dip out Malpas RP is low to the river
....and it’s always a degree or two colder near the river, watch your car thermometer next time you get near the river when it’s cold. Let’s just hope that was it then.