Re: Port Vale off

KALS wrote:Apparently the Port Vale - Exeter game off tonight due to waterlogged pitch, I wonder what Mark Cooper will have to say about this. Disgrace big time!!!!
As long as their pitch recovers in time for our game there a week Saturday, I'm fine with that. Been looking forward to my first visit to the "Wembley of the North"! No information yet about away tickets, but I'm assuming it'll just be pay on the day.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
KALS wrote:Apparently the Port Vale - Exeter game off tonight due to waterlogged pitch, I wonder what Mark Cooper will have to say about this. Disgrace big time!!!!
As long as their pitch recovers in time for our game there a week Saturday, I'm fine with that. Been looking forward to my first visit to the "Wembley of the North"! No information yet about away tickets, but I'm assuming it'll just be pay on the day.
Plenty of time for tickets. Thursday/Friday are the usual opening days, plus Saturday on the Notts County match day.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Fun fact - Vale played their first match at Vale Park on 24th August 1950 against Newport County in front of a crowd of 30,042. The ground was still entirely uncovered, and had temporary dressing rooms. Before my time, but doubtless UTP was in attendance. :P

Oi!!!!!!!!! how old do you think I am :lol:

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:Fun fact - Vale played their first match at Vale Park on 24th August 1950 against Newport County in front of a crowd of 30,042. The ground was still entirely uncovered, and had temporary dressing rooms. Before my time, but doubtless UTP was in attendance. :P

Jim, the word is you never quite got over the death of Queen Victoria.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

You swine

Despite having made hundreds of visits to Vale Park over the years this will be my first in the away end. I actually feel quite sombre at the thought of it.

KE - let me know if you’re going for a swifty beforehand. It would be nice to put a face to the name. I tend to call in at the Bulls Head down in Burslem. It’s a bit of a hike away from the ground but it’s a great little(!!) boozer.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

now that IS a good one :grin:

Tonight's Sky Bet League Two meeting between Town and Barnet at Huish Park (7.45pm) will go ahead as scheduled following a pitch inspection.

Referee James Linington assessed the surface upon his arrival in Somerset after heavy rainfall overnight and this morning and has deemed it playable.

With rainfall stopping at midday, the pitch's drainage system has seen the surface water drain off drastically to enable tonight's clash to comfortably go ahead.

County Exile wrote:
Tonight's Sky Bet League Two meeting between Town and Barnet at Huish Park (7.45pm) will go ahead as scheduled following a pitch inspection.

Referee James Linington assessed the surface upon his arrival in Somerset after heavy rainfall overnight and this morning and has deemed it playable.

With rainfall stopping at midday, the pitch's drainage system has seen the surface water drain off drastically to enable tonight's clash to comfortably go ahead.
The issue with Rodney Parade on Saturday was ice below the surface not allowing the rain to drain from the surface, according to Rob Philips.
I know at the Liberty they blow hot air under the pitch to stop the ground freezing, I wonder how much that would cost to retro fit?

JonD wrote:Despite having made hundreds of visits to Vale Park over the years this will be my first in the away end. I actually feel quite sombre at the thought of it.

KE - let me know if you’re going for a swifty beforehand. It would be nice to put a face to the name. I tend to call in at the Bulls Head down in Burslem. It’s a bit of a hike away from the ground but it’s a great little(!!) boozer.
Just out of interest with your local knowledge, what's the easiest (least walking) route from Stoke Railway Station to the ground, which pubs would you recommend in Stoke/near the ground?