Re: Serious Topic Now....Not a gut reaction

Lucky Mascot 2 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Lucky Mascot 2 wrote:Given the better position in the league, cup run, victory against leeds, draw against spurs, trip to wembley, extra money etc seems some of the keyboard warriors/moaners have been suffering withdrawl symptoms.
I think Flynny et al have performed miracles.
I agree he's done well but can't see a problem with debating what's gone wrong lately his Jan signings is imo a cause for concern
Concern to some if you want it to be but if we finish better than last season whats the issue given the cup run. MF appears to have tried to improve player recruitment with the introduction of a top scout/head of player recruitment so guess it is all moving in the right direction, small continuous improvements. Dont panic mr mainwaring, when the fun stops stop.....
I think the issue that some are missing is this.

It is all very well saying that at the start of the season we would be happy to be where we are now. And that is true. However leaving aside the Cup run in the league since October there has been a slow decline and in the last month that decline has accelerated.

Nobody as far as I can see has said that Michael Flynn should be sacked or is not up to the job. But it is fairly clear that there is a problem. We are going in the wrong direction. Some are commenting on that and voicing their concerns. To me the problem seems to be that other clubs have worked us out and as yet Michael Flynn lacks the experience to make the necessary changes. Either in selection or by making changes during the course of a game.

Whether he can develop that ability is in my view his first big test.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: Nobody as far as I can see has said that Michael Flynn should be sacked or is not up to the job. But it is fairly clear that there is a problem. We are going in the wrong direction. Some are commenting on that and voicing their concerns. To me the problem seems to be that other clubs have worked us out and as yet Michael Flynn lacks the experience to make the necessary changes. Either in selection or by making changes during the course of a game.

I'd agree with that. As I've said just now on a separate thread, he and the players need to finish the season strongly to put everyone's mind at rest and to make sure there's no hangover into next season. I 100% think that Flynn and the players are capable of that, but Stan's right that we need to develop a different way of playing as we lack a Plan B.

As far as I see it, we have periods of playing well, and periods of nightmares. We do not have any other gear to find, that's our problem, we are what we are, and what you see is what you get.
Let's face it, thinking of Flynn as player, no team under him is ever going to set the grass on fire.....he's just not like that! But what he is like, is steady, stable, a bit up and down, but essentially mid table.
In an ideal world, a team would have roughly twice as many draws as defeats, and roughly twice as many wins as draws, so won 26, drawn 13, lost 7.... points = 91 (something slightly better than Accrington's form)
But that takes a hell of a lot of doing, and is a huge ask / expectation....... and therein lies the problem in my view: EXPECTATION.

We all have different expectations. Mine is simply 1.5 pts per game, with 3 wins on the bounce, 3 times during a season.
Start of the season, I said I'd be happy with "something like 12th, on something like 66 pts".... I still would.

Harps62 wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:
Harps62 wrote: Pretty sure Flynny does not get involved in the training either.
Really?
Fair comment no competitive game time but like Reid at Colchester blowing up. Its not good.
Trouble is Reid has only ever been in academy and age-group football at Arsenal, Man Utd and Swansea. Not counting the Paint Pot, by the time he signed for us he had got to age 20 and never had a chance to develop that hardened competitive edge L2 demands.
Regarding your first comment

Yes

Wayne takes the training.
I do know things
That's not a secret by the way
Cheers
What you actually said was Flynn "does not get involved in the training", which is not the same thing at all.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Lucky Mascot 2 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
I agree he's done well but can't see a problem with debating what's gone wrong lately his Jan signings is imo a cause for concern
Concern to some if you want it to be but if we finish better than last season whats the issue given the cup run. MF appears to have tried to improve player recruitment with the introduction of a top scout/head of player recruitment so guess it is all moving in the right direction, small continuous improvements. Dont panic mr mainwaring, when the fun stops stop.....
I think the issue that some are missing is this.

It is all very well saying that at the start of the season we would be happy to be where we are now. And that is true. However leaving aside the Cup run in the league since October there has been a slow decline and in the last month that decline has accelerated.

Nobody as far as I can see has said that Michael Flynn should be sacked or is not up to the job. But it is fairly clear that there is a problem. We are going in the wrong direction. Some are commenting on that and voicing their concerns. To me the problem seems to be that other clubs have worked us out and as yet Michael Flynn lacks the experience to make the necessary changes. Either in selection or by making changes during the course of a game.

Slow decline since October? In January we won 4 games in a row, drew one, lost the last game of January away to Lincoln (also drew with Spurs).
It's been a poor February no ifs or buts about it though.

Exile 1976 wrote:

Slow decline since October? In January we won 4 games in a row, drew one, lost the last game of January away to Lincoln (also drew with Spurs).
It's been a poor February no ifs or buts about it though.
I think if you look at our record since our win at Forest Green in the middle of October there was a slow decline. I grant you there was a upswing in form in January. However my worry is our form in the last few games has plummeted. I stress I wasn't at the last three away league games but the reports seem to be saying there was a lack of fight.

I was at the Wembley game. 2-0 was a decent score but I felt that we didn't really give it a go there. I have no idea if the rum ours are true but there seems to me to be a problem with morale at present.

Exile 1976 wrote:As I've said, terrible February but taking this month out, between Aug - Oct our record was:-

P: 15, W: 7, D: 4, L: 4......................... 77 pts for a full season

Then Nov - Jan

P: 14, W: 5, D: 6, L: 3............................69 points for a full season
So while the decline is there, is not a massive decline, I just really think it's down to expectations being so high. Unjustifiably so in my view.