Re: Is Flynn morphing into Feeney.

Based on the most recent programme I've bought (Notts County) we have issued 35 squad numbers. Then deduct players who have been paid off (two), the manager, those out on loan (three) and youth teamers (five) and we have one of the smallest usable squads in the league.

And the 24 left include Bittner, Jahraldo who I don't think has played a league game and Reid who the manager has said doesn't currently have 90 minutes in him.

southernfan wrote:so, 35 -10 = 24?
Read it again. Flynn has a squad number, five youth teamers, Turley, Reynolds and TOE out on loan, Jazzi and Rigg.have been paid up.

I'm not sure what positions all the youths play but from the 35 squad numbers you could put together the bulk of a starting XI which reads
Bittner
Reid, Foulston, Press, Jahraldo
Flynn, Taylor, Hillman, A.N. Other
Touray, L Collins.

They all have squad numbers so it works superficially, but I think among them they only have one league start all season (Reid at Colchester when he blew up).

Notts in the same programme had two fewer players but I would say maximum four who, on paper, couldn't readily step up to the bench without weakening it. If you look at squads on that basis - which is what I was doing - we have one of the smallest in the division.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
southernfan wrote:so, 35 -10 = 24?
Read it again. Flynn has a squad number, five youth teamers, Turley, Reynolds and TOE out on loan, Jazzi and Rigg.have been paid up.

I'm not sure what positions all the youths play but from the 35 squad numbers you could put together the bulk of a starting XI which reads
Bittner
Reid, Foulston, Press, Jahraldo
Flynn, Taylor, Hillman, A.N. Other
Touray, L Collins.

They all have squad numbers so it works superficially, but I think among them they only have one league start all season (Reid at Colchester when he blew up).

Notts in the same programme had two fewer players but I would say maximum four who, on paper, couldn't readily step up to the bench without weakening it. If you look at squads on that basis - which is what I was doing - we have one of the smallest in the division.
George,

I am not disagreeing with your analysis. Be it that they are too young, not good enough, or a combination of both. However if they are in the squad they are in the squad. The squad is plenty big enough but if a number of them are not ready to even occupy the bench then the squad is just not good enough.

George Street-Bridge wrote:But define "not good enough"? Self-evidently the squad is good enough to be in 11th place with 10 games left, which is one way of measuring it. It's not over-dependent on loanees or players on their last legs, which is another.
George I am clearly describing the individuals who are not good enough. Not the squad.

Do you ever stop to think before you post?

George Street-Bridge wrote:Always.

What makes a squad "good enough" is by definition the proportion of players in it who are "good enough". And it's all indivisible from the question "Good enough to achieve what?"

Merthyr lost a game 12 or 13 nil, but the squad was still good enough to save them being penalised for not fielding a team.
George,

I am having difficulty understanding what you are on about. You initially said that Newport County had a small squad. A number of us pointed out just how many players are in the squad. You then said that a number of these players either weren't good enough or were too young. As I said I agreed with that but that it was inaccurate to say the squad was small.

It was at that point that I simply failed to comprehend what you are on about. What Merthyr losing twelve or thirteen nil has to do with the size of the County squad is a complete mystery to me.