Re: Is Flynn morphing into Feeney.

supporter wrote:Firstly in answer to the thread title-no. I missed Tuesday messed my shoulder up boxing so can only comment as I see it based on the run of fixtures going back from Tottenham. So we play Spurs on the Saturday go to Lincoln on the Tuesday and lose, any given season I'm thinking we'll do well to get anything there and then add on we were 8 mins from beating Spurs and this fixture naturally becomes more difficult. We go to Colchester the following Saturday any given season I'd want a point. To be honest this trip us the only trip since we've come back into the league that I didn't enjoy and I went to Plymouth when we lost 6-1, nothing to do with the result just didn't enjoy it, poor atmosphere etc, most supporters I spoke to felt the same, Saturday before Wembley so if a lot of supporters felt like this can it's fair to say it could've effected the player's. Next fixture Spurs away lose 2-0, Fgr postponed so onto Mansfield away got stuffed so your looking for a response, draw 0-0 with Notts who have a massive budget advantage, then draw 0-0 at Port Vale a game we should've won. The trick now is to turn the draws to wins and get on that winning run, do that sooner than later and we might just have a chance. Personally I think if we hadn't played Spurs we might well have had say 4-6 more points but I'd rather the money in the bank that might just set us up and give us a better chance of going to the next level..

This is the most sensible post on this thread. To draw a parallel with Bristol City, until yesterday they picked up just 5 points from 7 games since their dalliance with the big boys. Bristol City are a big club, with much bigger resources than ours, yet were also affected by the mental and physical exertion of two huge cup ties.
We are now undefeated in 4, have 10 games remaining with 7 at home and of the three away games, two are against Barnet & Chesterfield. A strong finish is not beyond the realms of possibility, but either way it's been a great season for our football club.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I'll try and do it in one sentence.

The only number worth considering is how many players you have who can slot readily into the first team without results probably suffering.
So the size of a squad is not the number in the squad but the number in the squad who are good enough to be in the team. Although it does beg the question why have a squad with players who are not good enough?

Opinion is divided on the matter. I take the view that the size of a squad is determined by the number of people in the squad, George is of the view that it isn't.

Then again I take the view that the English expression 'done and dusted' means that the issue is decided. George thinks it means something else.

I can only suggest that the readers of this board make up their own minds on this matter. Clearly I don't understand why Merthyr losing 13-0 impinges on this matter so perhaps I have landed in a parallel universe where things are utterly different from the world I have spent the last sixty years.

George and Stan. One of us is completely mad. You decide.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Always.

What makes a squad "good enough" is by definition the proportion of players in it who are "good enough". And it's all indivisible from the question "Good enough to achieve what?"

Merthyr lost a game 12 or 13 nil, but the squad was still good enough to save them being penalised for not fielding a team.

12 or 13 - 0 ? Taking the piss mate, it was 13-1 !

Stan A. Einstein wrote:he Premier League have a limit of 25 on first team squads. Which begs two questions.

Why do a League 2 side require a bigger squad?

And secondly with my finite time in this world why do I spend my limited time not listening to Beethoven, or reading Dickens but rather on this and other threads arguing with morons?
Players under 21 don't count towards the 25, they can have an unlimited number of players under 21. We've got 18 players over 21, if I have guessed the ages correctly.

I don't think we can match these numbers: https://www.premierleague.com/news/465277

George Street-Bridge wrote:
southernfan wrote:so, 35 -10 = 24?
Read it again. Flynn has a squad number, five youth teamers, Turley, Reynolds and TOE out on loan, Jazzi and Rigg.have been paid up.

I'm not sure what positions all the youths play but from the 35 squad numbers you could put together the bulk of a starting XI which reads
Bittner
Reid, Foulston, Press, Jahraldo
Flynn, Taylor, Hillman, A.N. Other
Touray, L Collins.

They all have squad numbers so it works superficially, but I think among them they only have one league start all season (Reid at Colchester when he blew up).

Notts in the same programme had two fewer players but I would say maximum four who, on paper, couldn't readily step up to the bench without weakening it. If you look at squads on that basis - which is what I was doing - we have one of the smallest in the division.
You should read it again.

DT1892 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:he Premier League have a limit of 25 on first team squads. Which begs two questions.

Why do a League 2 side require a bigger squad?

And secondly with my finite time in this world why do I spend my limited time not listening to Beethoven, or reading Dickens but rather on this and other threads arguing with morons?
Players under 21 don't count towards the 25, they can have an unlimited number of players under 21. We've got 18 players over 21, if I have guessed the ages correctly.

I don't think we can match these numbers: https://www.premierleague.com/news/465277
Thank you for that. A fair point. However I checked only the stats of Liverpool (Chosen at random) Only 21 players used all season including two goalkeepers.

My point remains. I don't think our squad is significantly smaller than the average League 2 squad or that it has put us at a disadvantage. Indeed too big a squad carries in my view the problem of player discontent. James Bittner is content no doubt to warm the bench week in week out, would a twenty five year old 'keeper be as happy?

For me I get tired of reading excuses. Michael Flynn has done well this season. To try to say he has overcome a disadvantage which he has not does him a disservice and allows those who are of the mindset to accept less going forward than we ought to achieve.

Justanordinaryfan wrote:One thing I noticed about Flyyny yesterday, was that straight after the final whistle, when players were mulling around shaking hands, he went straight over to Armond, put an arm around the shoulder and had a lengthy chat with him, probably explaining his decision to replace him with Nouble .... good man management.
Unless of course he was saying f@ck off back to Carlow you tw@t. :shock:

For the avoidance of doubt this is a joke. I doubt Flynn knows where Carlow is. :grin: