Re: Managers

excessbee wrote:The last three teams managed by Tony Pulis occupy the relegation places in the Premier League.
Just shows what a decent job he was doing, albeit in a way that meant anyone following was in a spot of bother...

Cornish Exile wrote:Southampton and Walsall have sacked theirs and Phil Brown has been appointed at Swindon.

The merry-go-round goes on.

I bet the guy from Southampton will be gutted. Get a job , be crap at it and walk off with many millions of pounds in his arse pocket.
Not a bad life if you can get away with it...Getting paid for failure.....Kerrrrrrching...three months off to recharge the batteries then walk back into another job somewhere else

neilcork68 wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:Southampton and Walsall have sacked theirs and Phil Brown has been appointed at Swindon.

I bet the guy from Southampton will be gutted. Get a job , be crap at it and walk off with many millions of pounds in his arse pocket.
Not a bad life if you can get away with it...Getting paid for failure.....Kerrrrrrching...three months off to recharge the batteries then walk back into another job somewhere else
Why don’t you do your badges and become a manager? Not having a go at you here. If you feel you have a good understanding of the game and how to manage players, then go for it!. Nothing stopping you.

penycwm county wrote:

Mark Hughes linked with Southampton !!
Yeah. Worse than that, he's basically about to be confirmed. The various people I know who'd know were adamant it was a done deal yesterday.

Have to say it's a hell of a gamble appointing someone who's been as hit and miss as he has and on a short term contract.

The Saints board having spent the past 7 months in something resembling denial. I'm a big fan of continuity in a club but having ballsed up by sacking Puel based on the moaning of a minority of entitled whiners at the end of an exhausting season for the club, they stuck another yes-man in his place and happily blundered along wasting points against poor teams by being ridiculously defensive at home early in the season, and have kept the guy for two months longer than anyone thought possible following capitulations at Spurs on Boxing Day and at home to Palace in New Year.

Even being in the FA Cup Quarter Finals this weekend at Wigan couldn't save him. West Ham away, Arsenal away, Chelsea home, Swansea away, Leicester away, Bournemouth home, Everton away and Man City home on the last day doesn't look like the easiest of run-ins but 3 wins should be enough.

I just hope Hughes doesn't do his usual thing and try and build from the back, they're already appalling at creating chances and scoring them.

Manager merry-go-round

I see Southampton have appointed Mark Hughes as their new manager.

Is this the same Mark Hughes who has recently been sacked by Stoke for not being good enough ???

Why do clubs keep appointing the same 'core' of managers who have failed to do anything at 3 , 4 , 5 or even more clubs in the same league ???
Give the young guys a chance to prove themselves... It seems the only way a young British manager , who isn't a household name because of their playing career will get to manage in the Premier League is to take a club up like Houghton at Brighton. Premier League Chairman keep thinking , Pardew , Allardyce , Moyes etc are the answers when they have had numerous chances and not achieved much.
Take Swansea as an example , OK, so far its working out but on what evidence would you appoint a manager who gets sacked by a Championship team on Sunday then appoint him as your boss three days later ???

Re: Manager merry-go-round

neilcork68 wrote:I see Southampton have appointed Mark Hughes as their new manager.

Is this the same Mark Hughes who has recently been sacked by Stoke for not being good enough ???

Why do clubs keep appointing the same 'core' of managers who have failed to do anything at 3 , 4 , 5 or even more clubs in the same league ???
Give the young guys a chance to prove themselves... It seems the only way a young British manager , who isn't a household name because of their playing career will get to manage in the Premier League is to take a club up like Houghton at Brighton. Premier League Chairman keep thinking , Pardew , Allardyce , Moyes etc are the answers when they have had numerous chances and not achieved much.
Take Swansea as an example , OK, so far its working out but on what evidence would you appoint a manager who gets sacked by a Championship team on Sunday then appoint him as your boss three days later ???
Perhaps it's a case of the majority of managers being much of a muchness. The very good it seems last a few years, the very bad disappear. The rest Messrs Hughes, Pardew, Rednap, Pulis, Allardyce, Moyes etc just move from club to club.

Just for fun list the present and former clubs of just those six. I couldn't by the way.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:I see Southampton have appointed Mark Hughes as their new manager.

Perhaps it's a case of the majority of managers being much of a muchness. The very good it seems last a few years, the very bad disappear. The rest Messrs Hughes, Pardew, Rednap, Pulis, Allardyce, Moyes etc just move from club to club.

Just for fun list the present and former clubs of just those six. I couldn't by the way.

I could list them but the common denominator seems to be most of them have done the rounds of the London based Premier League sides and the two North East sides.
It seems that West Ham , Crystal Palace , West Brom , Sunderland or Newcastle have all had most of them manage them recently without much success from any of them

Probably on the basis that he is a very good manager, was severely handicapped in his attempts to improve on two seasons of over-achievement this season and was unjustly sacked from his previous position.
The previous manager Wednesday sacked on Christmas Eve went on to have a very distinguished career in football as well, eventually being awarded the MBE.

Amberexile wrote:

Probably on the basis that he is a very good manager, was severely handicapped in his attempts to improve on two seasons of over-achievement this season and was unjustly sacked from his previous position.
The previous manager Wednesday sacked on Christmas Eve went on to have a very distinguished career in football as well, eventually being awarded the MBE.

What did Hughes do at Man City with all the cash he had ???

Sheffield Wednesday were sliding down the table in the weeks before they sacked Carvalhal then he gets a job at a side higher up the pyramid ?????? ( must be good in interviews)....Carvalhal has also managed 17 clubs in 19 years......can't he settle anywhere ?

neilcork68 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:

What did Hughes do at Man City with all the cash he had ???

Sheffield Wednesday were sliding down the table in the weeks before they sacked Carvalhal then he gets a job at a side higher up the pyramid ?????? ( must be good in interviews)....Carvalhal has also managed 17 clubs in 19 years......can't he settle anywhere ?
As I said, Carvalhal is a very good manager, the powers that be at Swansea clearly understood that the issues at Hillsborough were not of his making and seized the opportunity to bring him onboard without having to pay compensation. Looks like a smart move so far.