Re: Transfer targets

It's a boring answer but County need to look at strengthening the spine of the side.

Day needs a young keeper that'll put him under pressure for his place in the side, preferably someone who's vocal with the defence in front of him. because Joe simply isn't.

A central defender that will organise the defence is a no-brainer. For my money we've lacked that type of player since regaining our Football League status and as much as I like our current central defenders individually I have to question their ability to organise themselves. Lets find a big bruiser that won't take any prisoners - be they opposition players or team-mates that aren't doing what they ought to be doing. Oh and when are we going to sign those full-backs that most of us moan that we lack year after year. Pipe can't last forever and we've been lucky that Dan hasn't picked up any injury of note. We can't go into a campaign without alternatives in either full-back/wing-back position.

County have struggled this year whenever Labadie isn't in the side. If he returns from his injury he'll take a while to return to anything close to his previous ability. Lets write him off and sign either someone who'll add some steel to the midfield or a ball-player because we lack both (and one or other is better than none). I'd like some quick wingers but I suspect Flynn isn't someone who plays a system with wingers, preferring his wing-backs to get the ball into the box for the striker(s).

I'm not entirely convinced whether we need a new strike-force or just start playing to the current strikers strengths, Certainly Jackson will never be a League striker (and never was) and Nouble is probably a waste of a wage because there is no consistency in performance (and he seems to be getting worse the longer the season progresses). I was hoping that Flynn would have given Touray an airing v Stevenage just to see whether he could provide an answer where others have failed.

Perhaps though we should be discussing how County can progress from this seasons improvement in performances and results. I'm not entirely sure whether Flynn has any idea of how he wants his team to play and I feel he needs to develop a clear vision of the style of play County will produce next season. Such a vision needs formulating before decisions made on players to keep and targets to pursue. And that vision needs to start in the Academy and be played by all the age group teams up to the first team. And I'd like to see County become known as a team that is willing to give youth a chance instead of providing a last pay-day for fading journeymen.

Bruno Andrade of Boreham Wood a midfielder with skill and has scored 18 goals this season only 24 a Portuguese talent must bring in this type of quality.
Midfield / Striker not many out there.
Luke Coulson of Ebbsfleet is a winger who can score and assist has provided many goals for prolific Danny Kedwell a potential striker ? Do not judge a striker by his age ask Akinfenwa and Ellison !

Must be in his early 30s, never played higher than the Welsh Premier, not in the top 12 scorers there this season so has fewer than eight goals.

From TV I would say there are players there worth a look - Bangor's keeper, Declan Walker from Aberystwyth - but not Venables.

Edit: He has seven in 24 games this season and turns 33 in July.

Exile 1976 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
penycwm county wrote:someone should have a look at Bala Towns Chris Venables

That's a good shout

A few years ago maybe, what is he 33? Only playing WP for the last few years, big step up to League 2, I think he'd be another Rhys Griffiths.

33 (July) wouldn't worry me for a midfielder who would fetch a fair bit of experience with him

penycwm county wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

That's a good shout

A few years ago maybe, what is he 33? Only playing WP for the last few years, big step up to League 2, I think he'd be another Rhys Griffiths.

33 (July) wouldn't worry me for a midfielder who would fetch a fair bit of experience with him

Experience yes, but it's experience at a much lower level against mostly semi professional teams. Just my opinion but I think 33 is quite an old age to get into professional football and I'd rather we spent our money on experienced pro's or younger talent like a Doidge.