Match programmes RIP?

So the EFL will vote on the future of match programmes at this summers meeting. Despite being someone who owns 2 big boxes of programmes I have wondered for a while what the point of them are these days. Technology has made them obsolete.

I still buy a programme at every County game but I am not sure I would miss them that much.

Would others miss the programme?

Does the club make a profit on programmes?

BTW this is not a shot at the people who create each County program. I am sure that they do a lot of hard work for each edition and that is appreciated

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -in-summer
Last edited by Snowman on April 30th, 2018, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Match programmes RIP?

Snowman wrote:Its currently an EFL rule that clubs MUST produce a printed programme.

The proposal will remove the MUST from the published rules of the EFL and leave the decision of weather to print a program or not entirely with the club
Believe it or not but all Gwent County Clubs have to produce a programme for every game the ref has to report if none is offered

I stopped bothering to buy them when "programmes" morphed into "matchday magazines" with a corresponding increase in cover price.

TBH, all I want is a column from the manager, maybe a column from the captain or chairman if they've something worth saying, and a team sheet. Putting that together, even in glossy full colour, shouldn't cost more than £1.50 if you've got a few adverts to flesh it out and cover the overheads. No idea what we charge now, but it's far more than the product is worth.

I know this'll be anathema to the saddoes who collect every single programme and have them all beautifully filed in the spare room of the house they share with their mum (only joking, chaps!), but I suspect it's how most fans feel these days. #AgainstModernFootball

Are they really needed anymore? Wouldn't it be more cost effective having a fanzine online? those that write for the programme could still write articles but they would be on a website. I used to enjoy reading about the opposition when I used to buy them but if theres a player on the opposition I think I remember I just get my phone out at the game and google him.

Bush wrote:Are they really needed anymore? Wouldn't it be more cost effective having a fanzine online? those that write for the programme could still write articles but they would be on a website. I used to enjoy reading about the opposition when I used to buy them but if theres a player on the opposition I think I remember I just get my phone out at the game and google him.
One thing to bear in mind is even if the EFL did make publishing a programme voluntary, they would very likely still insist on a measure of control over anything published by a club as opposed to published about it. So a fanzine, online or otherwise, could only ever play a much different role.