Re: Let's 'Buy The Club A Pint'..... (B&R Scheme)....

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
How would you run the football club

You didn't but you could still answer his question.
Let me try. I wouldn't form so close a friendship with the team manager that I ended up offering him £50,000 more than the going rate for a league 2 manager.
hi stan that sounds like quite a big accusation there. can you back it up? As someone who is so keen on honestly and transparency can you let us know firstly the going rate for a league 2 manager then how you know Flynn is on 50k more than that rate ?

Exile 1976 wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:The question asked was,how do we sign players if most of them use agents,and how can we sign players,average or not,if we don't pay the going rate.Over to you Brendan.

This seasons League 2 Champions Accrington Stanley spent £0 on agent fees and have a smaller player budget than us. It can be done.
if they have a smaller playing budget than us how come there owner had to put a million in to the club this year and last year?

To paraphrase Chris Blight : ... "it's easier to ask 1500 fans for £15 a month than to ask one man for £180k"....

Especially if we're meant to be supporter funded. We need regular donation from as much of the fanbase as are willing and able.
Currently, we're little more than a football club "on paper". We have few of the things that other clubs have to attract a wealthy owner. So it's down to us the fans.
That's how I see it anyway.

Beechwood Boy wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:I know this is a re-hash of a post / idea I gave a good while ago, but I hope it might spur some into action.
I want us to think of the Club as on of our mates, one of our family. When we go out say, once a week, I'd like us to consider buying the club "an invisible pint", or for those who don't do booze, it could be an "invisible cup of coffee".....
Let's say in each case, the drink in a good quality place costs £3.46.......

£3.46 x 52 = £180 or thereabouts...... so, £180 = £15 a month.

We could donate £15 a month to the B&R Scheme......effectively we could "Buy The Club A Pint"...
Just think of the club as one of your mates.
Can we do that?...... 1000 of us doing so, would put £180k into the club each year.
NGR you don't 'arf come up with some good ideas :cheers:

The £15-a-month works out at only £3.75-a-week. Expanding on your original idea, £15-a-month could be a minimum amount, with supporters donating either as much as they want/can afford, or an increasing fixed scale per month, ie. £20, £25, £30 etc. There could also be a family donation, e.g. £25 for two family members, £40 for three etc.
Great ideas. I did suggest something similar a year or so ago. It works like this;

Every 4/6 weeks or so the club has a social evening. Cost of your first pint - £10! Every other pint after that is at normal prices. Great talking point and obviously all the £10 a pint profit goes in the clubs coffers. Think of the publicity - Newport County charge £10 a pint!

Given the depth of feeling that most fans have for our club I think a lot of people would go along with it.

Jimmy Exile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:The question asked was,how do we sign players if most of them use agents,and how can we sign players,average or not,if we don't pay the going rate.Over to you Brendan.

This seasons League 2 Champions Accrington Stanley spent £0 on agent fees and have a smaller player budget than us. It can be done.
if they have a smaller playing budget than us how come there owner had to put a million in to the club this year and last year?

Because their revenues are a lot less than ours.

According to the Guardian

"Holt’s investment has bolstered this new self-belief and the owner has become a prominent cheerleader. Last year he pointed out that the club’s £2.2m turnover was less than every current top-flight club spent on agent fees in a single year – in short, Stanley are “a starving peasant begging for scraps” from the Premier League table."

EDIT: Our turnover 2015/16 was £2m

My view is that we, and indeed every other club at our level should say, ' this is what we are paying, take it or leave it.' Agents are parasites. They put nothing into the game, they just bleed finance.

It suits too man managers, players and agents. Backhanders supporters never hear about. The game is awash with cash and anyone who doesn't believe that corruption is rife is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Just think about this. All the clubs in the EFL lose hundreds of thousands of pounds or even millions of pounds every year. Yet in the 51 years I have been watching football only Aldershot as a league club have actually gone bust.

Think about it. 92 clubs x 51 = 4692. Now if you have 4692, shops or restaurants or any other business, losing that type of money in a year, do you think 4691 of those restaurants, shops etc would still be in business after a year? If you do then you're soft in the head.

Football is a cash cow for some and the only people who really lose are the fans.