Re: Martin Allen

Football Managers are like Agency Staff these days !
He may have his faults , and is still learning the trade as he goes along . But I'd still rather Flynny in charge for the next few seasons at least .
Local boy who loves the Club .
Stability is the secret of success imho .

All these managers that get sacked every few months are part of the reason why so many lower league sides struggle financially .
They all moan about reduced playing budgets etc , but will take all they can when they fail .

Corpaboy wrote:Football Managers are like Agency Staff these days !
He may have his faults , and is still learning the trade as he goes along . But I'd still rather Flynny in charge for the next few seasons at least .

All these managers that get sacked every few months are part of the reason why so many lower league sides struggle financially .
They all moan about reduced playing budgets etc , but will take all they can when they fail .
Not sure Allen falls into that bracket - he was only contracted to the end of the season so no financial loss to Barnet. Barnet's fault for employing Westley though - that was their undoing.

Mr Figo wrote:

Not sure Allen falls into that bracket - he was only contracted to the end of the season so no financial loss to Barnet. Barnet's fault for employing Westley though - that was their undoing.
I think Barnet would have survived had the appointed Westley but had fired him two weeks before they did. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Mr Figo wrote:

I think Barnet would have survived had the appointed Westley but had fired him two weeks before they did. :grin:
Barnet would certainly have survived if Coventry and Morecombe hadn't conveniently managed a goalless draw on the last day of the season.

Exile 1976 wrote:My mate's a Coventry ST holder and he said they didn't seem to try too hard to win the game.
I watched some highlights on Sky and it looked like, and the commentators said it too, a draw was what both teams decided on.
I remember watching a World Cup game Ireland v The Netherlands. Great game for an hour. Then the news came through that England had scored against Egypt. Which meant both Holland and Ireland would qualify for the knockout stages.

Frankly had the Dutch and the Irish shaken hands and walked off after 60 minutes at least it would have been honest cheating. Austria and Germany screwing over the Saudis I can also remember.

Not fair but I don't have the first clue how to stop it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:My mate's a Coventry ST holder and he said they didn't seem to try too hard to win the game.
I watched some highlights on Sky and it looked like, and the commentators said it too, a draw was what both teams decided on.
I remember watching a World Cup game Ireland v The Netherlands. Great game for an hour. Then the news came through that England had scored against Egypt. Which meant both Holland and Ireland would qualify for the knockout stages.

Frankly had the Dutch and the Irish shaken hands and walked off after 60 minutes at least it would have been honest cheating. Austria and Germany screwing over the Saudis I can also remember.

I agree, though I don't think it's ever going to stop hey.
Happened the week before too, Yeovil and FGR both needed a point to stay up and a bore draw point was what they got.

There was also a notorious draw between Austria and West Germany, but I can't remember the context.

In May 1978 I went to Ninian Park for Cardiff v Orient, back before all clubs had to finish their games on the same day. Orient needed a win to stay in the old D2 and relegate Blackpool and duly won 1-0. City rolled over for them. It was decades before Blackpool got back to that level. City were managed by the late Jimmy Andrews and there were chants of "Jim'll fix it".

https://dicmortimer.com/2010/05/27/blac ... ff-city-2/

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Its not cheating though. Both teams will sit back which means the game fizzles out. You will see games like this up and down the country all season but people only kick off when it happens at the end of the season. If teams go down on the last game of the season its because they deserved to go down not because what happened in another game.