Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

Barnabas wrote:According to here;

http://www.scottishfootballfixtures.wor ... ures-2018/

we are playing Falkirk, behind closed doors, on Wednesday June 27th. It's a shame if it is behind closed doors. Quite fancied watching that.
Ultimately, if I had my way, this would be a league fixture, in a British League: Newport v Falkirk, Motherwell v Charlton, Liverpool v Celtic, TNS v Raith Rovers, Hearts v QPR....... the mouth waters!
Yep, a British League...... but that's another debate, for another topic.

NearlyDead wrote:
Barnabas wrote:According to here;

http://www.scottishfootballfixtures.wor ... ures-2018/

we are playing Falkirk, behind closed doors, on Wednesday June 27th. It's a shame if it is behind closed doors. Quite fancied watching that.
Och, aye! Newport-on-Tay, prob.

Falkirk are on a small pre season tour of Wales . They play Cefn Druids on the Friday after that game so it could be correct ??? ( Although Cefn Druids is near Wrexham North Wales )
Looking on the Falkirk FC website it is confirmed as a behind closed doors friendly

newgroundrodney wrote:
ComeOnCounty wrote:Bristol City at Spytty added

It may have to happen one day, but there's an example of what a move to Newport Stadium would mean for me personally. I cant get to that game after work, it's too far out.

Its the opposite for me because of the easy parking at Spytty. I can make the game whereas finding a space at RP is getting harder with all the parking restrictions being put in place around the ground.
On a normal matchday ( Saturday)if you aren't parked by 13.30 you will struggle to park close to RP. On a Tuesday its even worse. With my fecked up ankles and the fact that I cant park in Maindee school anymore its a personnel nightmare for me

And for those of us that bus, Spytty would be a no-no. Someone said on one thread or another that Spytty isn't that far out of town - it's a decent way when you come from the other side of town and would have to get 2 buses - one into town and another back out (if there even is one that goes near the ground). There are a number who bus from further out - Risca and higher up the valley. The return journey would be even worse and evening or Sunday games would be completely out of the question.

Pre and post match would be compromised - loved breakfasting in the Queens with loads of Leeds fans - couldn't have done that with a Sunday bus service trying to get to Spytty.

newgroundrodney wrote:Not sure whether I missed it, but have we had any confirmation yet as to who the two Championship teams are going to be?
Bristol City at Newport Stadium is one, but any news on the other? (he says with fingers firmly crossed! :-) )
Don't build your hopes up NGR. :grin: QPR have already announced 4 away friendlies next month. Staines, AFC Wimbledon, Hoffenheim and FC Union Berlin.

westsider wrote:And for those of us that bus, Spytty would be a no-no. Someone said on one thread or another that Spytty isn't that far out of town - it's a decent way when you come from the other side of town and would have to get 2 buses - one into town and another back out (if there even is one that goes near the ground). There are a number who bus from further out - Risca and higher up the valley. The return journey would be even worse and evening or Sunday games would be completely out of the question.

Pre and post match would be compromised - loved breakfasting in the Queens with loads of Leeds fans - couldn't have done that with a Sunday bus service trying to get to Spytty.

Its 50/5 isnt it some would find SP closer

And why not walk from town!! When we played at Somerton Park I would get the bus from Risca to town and walk over and back

UPTHEPORT wrote:
westsider wrote:And for those of us that bus, Spytty would be a no-no. Someone said on one thread or another that Spytty isn't that far out of town - it's a decent way when you come from the other side of town and would have to get 2 buses - one into town and another back out (if there even is one that goes near the ground). There are a number who bus from further out - Risca and higher up the valley. The return journey would be even worse and evening or Sunday games would be completely out of the question.

Its 50/5 isnt it some would find SP closer

And why not walk from town!! When we played at Somerton Park I would get the bus from Risca to town and walk over and back
In SP days we used to walk from the Handpost to SP and back. But then I wasn't a 63 year old with a dodgy knee. Can't see me doing that walk in good weather never mind 9.45/10.00 pm on a winter's night. So, that's why not!!