Re: The semi-official PRE SEASON FRIENDLY thread...

With competition in the buses in Newport now surely if we were to move to Newport Stadium either Newport Bus or NAT would see it as a viable option to run several buses from the city centre to the stadium on match days ???
fans are still judging the service when we may have had 100/200 using the buses when we played there previously. Now with crowds of 3500 they may expect up to 1000 to use buses rather than drive ?

neilcork68 wrote:With competition in the buses in Newport now surely if we were to move to Newport Stadium either Newport Bus or NAT would see it as a viable option to run several buses from the city centre to the stadium on match days ???
fans are still judging the service when we may have had 100/200 using the buses when we played there previously. Now with crowds of 3500 they may expect up to 1000 to use buses rather than drive ?

What I'd like to see is a string of dedicated shuttle buses. Pick up at one place and no stopping. The problem we had is the service buses ran the same number of buses regardless of the time of day, or antipated attendance. Then you had to cross the central reservation.
We'd need a dedicated shuttle bus that comes right into the stadium footprint.

newgroundrodney wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:With competition in the buses in Newport now surely if we were to move to Newport Stadium either Newport Bus or NAT would see it as a viable option to run several buses from the city centre to the stadium on match days ???

What I'd like to see is a string of dedicated shuttle buses. Pick up at one place and no stopping. The problem we had is the service buses ran the same number of buses regardless of the time of day, or antipated attendance. Then you had to cross the central reservation.
We'd need a dedicated shuttle bus that comes right into the stadium footprint.
If it were to happen then the buses should not be allowed near the stadium car park until 15 minutes after the match because its like the wacky races trying to leave the stadium after the game. The Car park either needs another exit straight onto the SDR or stewards to Marshall the flow of traffic . Its supposed to be a one way system around the car park. Yeah thats until everyone trys to leave by the shortest way

Which would severely compromise those who have to get another bus from town to home - particularly following an evening ko, with most buses leaving before 10.30 pm at the latest. I can just about make my bus by walking very quickly from RP into town - would have no chance from Spytty. Would we continue to attract 3500 I wonder - somehow I doubt it - there isn't the attraction of a centrally placed ground with other amenities in close proximity.

westsider wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
westsider wrote:And for those of us that bus, Spytty would be a no-no. Someone said on one thread or another that Spytty isn't that far out of town - it's a decent way when you come from the other side of town and would have to get 2 buses - one into town and another back out (if there even is one that goes near the ground). There are a number who bus from further out - Risca and higher up the valley. The return journey would be even worse and evening or Sunday games would be completely out of the question.

Pre and post match would be compromised - loved breakfasting in the Queens with loads of Leeds fans - couldn't have done that with a Sunday bus service trying to get to Spytty.

Its 50/5 isnt it some would find SP closer

And why not walk from town!! When we played at Somerton Park I would get the bus from Risca to town and walk over and back
In SP days we used to walk from the Handpost to SP and back. But then I wasn't a 63 year old with a dodgy knee. Can't see me doing that walk in good weather never mind 9.45/10.00 pm on a winter's night. So, that's why not!!
I know what you mean. I managed it at 62 on a night in March 2010 but there were rather special circumstances that evening as I was walking on air, having just witnessed automatic promotion to the Conference along with, IIRC, 4420 other fanatical souls; my first-ever overnight stay in Newport in a B&B at the top of Stow Hill. I remember the Argus billboards stating "All Roads lead to Spytty." No instructions on how to get back, though.

This year I'm just focusing on getting to Hereford, as I'm intrigued by reports of previous encounters. 'Twill be my first.

Michael Flynn’s side start their preparations against Championship side Bristol City in Newport on Wednesday, July 11 (kick-off 7.30pm) in a clash that is highly likely to be at Spytty Park.

They travel to Undy AFC on Friday, July 13 (kick-off 7pm), Chippenham Town on Saturday, July 14 (kick-off 3pm), Penybont FC on Wednesday, July 18 (kick-off 7pm), and Hereford FC on Saturday, July 21 (kick-off 3pm).

Willthiswork wrote:Michael Flynn’s side start their preparations against Championship side Bristol City in Newport on Wednesday, July 11 (kick-off 7.30pm) in a clash that is highly likely to be at Spytty Park.

They travel to Undy AFC on Friday, July 13 (kick-off 7pm), Chippenham Town on Saturday, July 14 (kick-off 3pm), Penybont FC on Wednesday, July 18 (kick-off 7pm), and Hereford FC on Saturday, July 21 (kick-off 3pm).
Undy's pitch looking good ahead of the new season.

I don't understand the view that parking is difficult at RP but not at Spytty.

Plentiful parking in town, then walk over footbridge. As close, if not closer, certainly to the Hazell side, as just about any on-street parking. Not free, sure, but only £2.

At Spytty, the stadium car park was a nightmare even in Conference South (took ages to leave, unless you won the Le Mans dash to your motor after the game; never stewarded, so people were allowed to get away with parking randomly). With average gates three times what they were then, where would people park? Not sensible for the stadium car park to be free of charge, either, in my opinion. Most other clubs would charge at least a fiver - a handy earner.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Moretonman wrote: At Spytty, the stadium car park was a nightmare even in Conference South (took ages to leave, unless you won the Le Mans dash to your motor after the game; never stewarded, so people were allowed to get away with parking randomly). With average gates three times what they were then, where would people park?
I suspect the answer is they just wouldn't go.
I also believe this to be the case, i think corkys 3500 over spytty to be about 1500 too many