Our future

It is always the easy option when considering the future to avoid difficult questions. You can do so by arguing that any given situation is hypothetical and therefore is a bridge that should be crossed if and when we come to it. And often this is the right approach. My view being that a calculation must be made. you look at two things, how likely is something to happen and what are the consequences if that event occurs. So if the consequences are grave I take far greater precautions about an unlikely event. For instance I have been driving for over thirty years and have never had an accident. Even if the law allowed me to drive without wearing a seat belt, I would nonetheless wear it for even the shortest of journeys.

So here's the question. We currently rent from the Welsh Rugby Football Union Rodney Parade and as such have a stadium which if not the best will suffice for a League 2 football team. In five years time that license runs out. Now it may be possible to renew that license. However there is a realistic possibility it will not be possible to renew.In that eventuality what should we do?

Now I am not going to rehearse the arguments that I have made in the past about our stadium or lack of, simply because we can't turn back the clock. But I would be interested in your views as to what, if anything, we can do to ensure our future.

As always I look forward to your replies.

Re: Our future

You're all worrying unnecessarily. All L2 clubs lose money, and even allowing for the skewing of these figures by Notts County, Luton et al we all lose on average close to half a million.

Half a million pounds. Every L2 club. Every year.

Newport County exist in a financial madhouse where the normal rules of the economy, the rules almost every family in Newport face every day, seem not to apply. Until they do.

I'm exasperated by the whole "business model", depending on handouts, bailouts, whatever, while spunking money on footballers of whom some at least are woeful.

Thank goodness for the close season.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:It is always the easy option when considering the future to avoid difficult questions. You can do so by arguing that any given situation is hypothetical and therefore is a bridge that should be crossed if and when we come to it. And often this is the right approach. My view being that a calculation must be made. you look at two things, how likely is something to happen and what are the consequences if that event occurs. So if the consequences are grave I take far greater precautions about an unlikely event. For instance I have been driving for over thirty years and have never had an accident. Even if the law allowed me to drive without wearing a seat belt, I would nonetheless wear it for even the shortest of journeys.

So here's the question. We currently rent from the Welsh Rugby Football Union Rodney Parade and as such have a stadium which if not the best will suffice for a League 2 football team. In five years time that license runs out. Now it may be possible to renew that license. However there is a realistic possibility it will not be possible to renew.In that eventuality what should we do?

Now I am not going to rehearse the arguments that I have made in the past about our stadium or lack of, simply because we can't turn back the clock. But I would be interested in your views as to what, if anything, we can do to ensure our future.

See, here's what I don't get: when we moved in, we were informed very clearly, words to the following effect: "The EFL require us to have a ten year rolling lease, so that we have a minimum of ten years in hand at any given time"...... how does it expire in 5 yrs?
Maybe at the time the information was wrong. Not dishonest, just wrong..... but am I the ONLY one for crying out loud, who recalls the expression: "a minimum of ten years in hand at any given time"...?

Am I ill? Do I need to see a doctor? Because everything I can remember being said about this club, now appears to be wrong.

newgroundrodney wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:It is always the easy option when considering the future to avoid difficult questions. You can do so by arguing that any given situation is hypothetical and therefore is a bridge that should be crossed if and when we come to it. And often this is the right approach. My view being that a calculation must be made. you look at two things, how likely is something to happen and what are the consequences if that event occurs. So if the consequences are grave I take far greater precautions about an unlikely event. For instance I have been driving for over thirty years and have never had an accident. Even if the law allowed me to drive without wearing a seat belt, I would nonetheless wear it for even the shortest of journeys.

See, here's what I don't get: when we moved in, we were informed very clearly, words to the following effect: "The EFL require us to have a ten year rolling lease, so that we have a minimum of ten years in hand at any given time"...... how does it expire in 5 yrs?
Maybe at the time the information was wrong. Not dishonest, just wrong..... but am I the ONLY one for crying out loud, who recalls the expression: "a minimum of ten years in hand at any given time"...?

Am I ill? Do I need to see a doctor? Because everything I can remember being said about this club, now appears to be wrong.
My understanding is that the agreement runs out in 2022.. If I am wrong I am happy to be corrected.

newgroundrodney wrote:

That’s what I understood to be the case too, so it’s at least a folie à deux :?

JonD wrote:You're all worrying unnecessarily. All L2 clubs lose money, and even allowing for the skewing of these figures by Notts County, Luton et al we all lose on average close to half a million.

Half a million pounds. Every L2 club. Every year.

Newport County exist in a financial madhouse where the normal rules of the economy, the rules almost every family in Newport face every day, seem not to apply. Until they do.

I'm exasperated by the whole "business model", depending on handouts, bailouts, whatever, while spunking money on footballers of whom some at least are woeful.

Thank goodness for the close season.
Every club in League 2 loses half a million every season. And astute businessmen in most of these towns finance this madness and fight like f@ck to retain control of these loss making businesses.

That is what we are told. And if you wish to believe it, you are entitled to do so. However my question was what do we do if the WRU kick us out of Rodney Parade. On another thread GSB states his belief that it couldn't happen. I disagree. Both positions are logically arguable. Now if you agree with George there is no problem. To worry about leaving Rodney Parade is akin to worrying about a Martian invasion of earth. If however you agree with me that it is possible, then my question is twofold I suppose. Is there anything we can do? And if so, what?

George Street-Bridge wrote:No, I didn't say it couldn't happen.

It's overwhelmingly in the interests of both parties and (crucially) the council that it doesn't happen.
And that's my point. I have driven well over half a million miles in my lifetime. Regardless of the law I wear a seat-belt on the shortest of journey's. Even though the chances of me crashing driving a few hundred yards are remote in the extreme. Now I don't share your confidence that it is 'overwhelmingly' in the interests of either the Council or the WRU that it doesn't happen. And I think that we should not bury our head in the sands.

The possibility is real and the consequences are dire.

RThomas55 wrote:Pray that we get a wealthy backer in who will build us a stadium at LG/Llanwern/somewhere suitable.

Also hope that he/she is not an Ashley/Oyston type as well!
Whilst not wanting to diminish anyone's belief in the power of prayer, I suspect the Almighty might have more pressing concerns. What, if anything, do you think we could/should do?

Stan I would love us to have a new stadium
How are we going to achieve that goal
And how much is it going to cost to run and maintain it
And the bigger question how are we going to fund it in the first instance,
The council need to be involved as we have no sugar daddy and have no income stream to fund a stadium which will cost several million
The reason we got to the football league was because of the move to RP
The council refused to help develop spotty Park
Hence the move
Which was fundamental in us achieving promotion,
Help me out here how can we do it ?????
It’s great to dream everyone needs a dream
But sometimes you have to be careful for what you wish for
Look at the clubs that have built new stadia and have fallen by the wayside because they didn’t have a sustainable income
We are a poorly supported league two club
And that’s where we sit
We have to grow our club organically
Academy etc etc