On to Football

Something for you to muse upon should you so wish. If you choose to I would. again and as usual be interested to hear your views.

Whatever anyone say about last season the fact is after 46 games we finished mid-table. And I am sure we would all agree that was a bloody relief after the two seasons which preceded it. So let's look at the situation now.

The team that played last year was too good to go down and not good enough to go up. Thus far we have lost the services of first team regulars Messrs, White, Tozer, Nouble and very possibly, certainly for the first part of the season Labadie. So to stay mid-table, other things being equal, we have to replace those four with players of equal calibre, bring in better and we improve, bring in worse and we decline.

Out of interest, do you agree with that analysis or not? Also what other factors do you think important? For instance do you think Michael Flynn has a years more experience and will be a better manager next year, or do you think he is now a known factor who other teams will find easier to counter. More importantly why do you think as you do?

Re: On to Football

I didn't see enough of us last season to determine whether, on a decent pitch, Flynn got us playing half-decent football, so I don't feel qualified to assess where he is as a coach. My worry is he's a Mr Motivator rather than a master tactician, but I'm happy to be educated on that point.

Port Vale look to be signing some decent players. It's early days in terms of squad assembly but I feel they're going to finish above us.

There. That's all I've got, I'm afraid.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Something for you to muse upon should you so wish. If you choose to I would. again and as usual be interested to hear your views.

Whatever anyone say about last season the fact is after 46 games we finished mid-table. And I am sure we would all agree that was a bloody relief after the two seasons which preceded it. So let's look at the situation now.

The team that played last year was too good to go down and not good enough to go up. Thus far we have lost the services of first team regulars Messrs, White, Tozer, Nouble and very possibly, certainly for the first part of the season Labadie. So to stay mid-table, other things being equal, we have to replace those four with players of equal calibre, bring in better and we improve, bring in worse and we decline.

Out of interest, do you agree with that analysis or not? Also what other factors do you think important? For instance do you think Michael Flynn has a years more experience and will be a better manager next year, or do you think he is now a known factor who other teams will find easier to counter. More importantly why do you think as you do?
Agree with that analysis and I’m concerned that it’ll be a hard ask to replace those players like with like. White was class and getting another loan like that is unlikely, Labadie even if he stays may not recover his former gifts fully . Tozer was a useful player and did what was asked of him in several positions- not a quality to be sniffed at imho and Nouble while not everyone’s cup of tea was useful if used properly and imho he was never a player to partner Amond up front, we should have signed an old-fashioned target man for that who can win the ball in the air. So no , in our financial state I see another season of struggle unless the midfield is strengthened well as imho Dolan is a huge disappointment. If that were done and a foil for Amond brought in we’re in with a chance of a successful season and by that I mean avoiding relegation without too much of a fright.
As regards Flynn , frankly I think that while I’m eternally grateful for his motivational skills during the great escape ( and since ) , I still think the jury is still out on his tactical nous and ability in the realm of recruitment. The next month or so will be very interesting.

Hopefully we can challenge in League 2, and replace those who have moved on by the first game of pre-season.

A few loan players in from Cardiff City (would definitely take a look at Sion Spence) or Aston Villa/similar would not go amiss.