Re: The 18/19 squad...so far

newgroundrodney wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:...and a 'keeper!
Worth taking a punt with 1 keeper this season if finances are tight ? Having said that the Franks and Matt signings suggest we may not be that skint after all.
Stick the Youth goalie on the bench to cover for match day emergencies. If Joe has a long term injury then bring a replacement keeper in at that point.
Joe did fine last season with no competition - nothing to suggest this will not be repeated this season.
He did fine. But only fine. He was ever present virtually and we shipped over 70 goals, which is in the region of average. If we want to actually CHALLENGE for anything, we need another keeper challenge Joe, not just cover Joe. No offence meant Joe by the way!
I am sure you are right that we need a proper back up keeper. But potentially he may sit on the bench all season to get little or no improvement out of Joe - its not guaranteed that Joe will step up to the next level cos we have a reserve keeper. A decision may need to be made as to whether we offer a deal to a reserve keeper or let's say a loanee midfielder / striker like McC last season who will actually play and do things. Just my view. I think the arrangement we had last season with Bittner as reserve and coach suited us well.

Have a few keepers on trial over the summer. take the best one who is cheap. The likelihood is if Day gets injured we just go and get an emergency loan keeper so don't waste money on a sub keeper and certainly don't waste a valuable loan spot on one just to sit on the bench.

Right back is a vital position now. whether its in a back 4 or wingback we need a new right back. If we can get the Ben White version of right backs in on loan that would be excellent.

Percy plunkett wrote:We will have a squad of 22.So as it stands,a minimum of six more players.Will Labs stay,even if he does we will need a replacement for six months.Will Lamar be moved on,will Touray and Foulston be loaned out to gain experience.We could have as many as twelve summer signings,good job they have the names on the shirt.
Flynn already indicated a few will leave on loan and a few sold. I’m guessing those 3 won’t start the season.

newgroundrodney wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
Worth taking a punt with 1 keeper this season if finances are tight ? Having said that the Franks and Matt signings suggest we may not be that skint after all.
Stick the Youth goalie on the bench to cover for match day emergencies. If Joe has a long term injury then bring a replacement keeper in at that point.
Joe did fine last season with no competition - nothing to suggest this will not be repeated this season.
He did fine. But only fine. He was ever present virtually and we shipped over 70 goals, which is in the region of average. If we want to actually CHALLENGE for anything, we need another keeper challenge Joe, not just cover Joe. No offence meant Joe by the way!
I read with interest the various opinions re, second keeper for forthcoming season. What is the norm for other league 2 teams ?
I note that FGR have announced they have signed 3 keepers ?

Remember watching Andy Sandell in the warm up before Oxford Utd away back in 2013. He was in goals during the warm up and looked accomplished - not sure if he just messing about or would have gone in goals if Lenny got injured.
From memory there have been plenty of occasions since 2013 when we have had no goalkeeper cover on the bench.

newgroundrodney wrote:
faerun exile wrote:

Conceding those goals were solely the responsibility of the goalkeeper then and not the defence or rest of the team??
Personally I think he is easily one of the top 4/5 keepers in League 2.

By way of stats, in the League, last season Joe kept 11 clean sheets and conceded 58 goals from 205 shots on target (blocked shots not included) for a save percentage of 71.7%. Sounds pretty good. Although i'm not sure how that stacks up with other keepers in the League mind :lol:
Last edited by Exile 1976 on June 22nd, 2018, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faerun exile wrote:Remember watching Andy Sandell in the warm up before Oxford Utd away back in 2013. He was in goals during the warm up and looked accomplished - not sure if he just messing about or would have gone in goals if Lenny got injured.
From memory there have been plenty of occasions since 2013 when we have had no goalkeeper cover on the bench.
Darren Robison used to be our right back and back up keeper. That was when we could only name 3 subs so that was handy we didn’t waste a spot on the bench.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Robison even played 90 minutes in goal for us once.

Last season when we won at FGR neither team had a keeper on the bench.
I think I saw him start and play the whole game at Crawley. But also have a vague recollection that he then played another ninety minutes (at Margate?), a game I didn't go to.

excessbee wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Robison even played 90 minutes in goal for us once.

Last season when we won at FGR neither team had a keeper on the bench.
I think I saw him start and play the whole game at Crawley. But also have a vague recollection that he then played another ninety minutes (at Margate?), a game I didn't go to.
Can I remember him saving a penalty?

faerun exile wrote:
I’m not having a go at anyone but I just don’t get the blasé position of saving money by not acquiring a decent backup keeper when every game that I’ve ever watched underlines the importance of having good players in that position. In addition, I’ve never understood why transfer-wise they are so inexpensive when the good ones are worth at least a goal a game.

UPDATED to Thursday 28th June, to include all incoming & outgoing playing staff so far:

Joe DAY (GK)
David PIPE
Dan BUTLER
Joss LABADIE.......?
Mark O'BRIEN
Mickey DEMETRIOU
Robbie WILLMOTT
Matt DOLAN
Padraig AMOND
Josh SHEEHAN
Scott BENNETT
Lamar REYNOLDS
Fraser FRANKS
Jamille MATT
Keanu MARSH-BROWN
Andrew CROFTS
Tyler HORNBY-FORBES
*** 2nd Choice Goalkeeper ***...?
Mamadou TOURAY
Jay FOULSTON
Charlie COOPER (season long)
Loan No.2 – as required
Loan No.3 – as required
Loan No.4 – as required
Loan No.5 – as required

Percy plunkett wrote:Why are there question marks against another keeper? You can put it against Lamar who will probably be sold or loaned out.Come the end of August,Foulston and Touray will be loaned out to leave room for two more loan signings.
Really hope foulston and touray kept. Would rather see them part of the squad than the manager wasting money on squad fillers to replace them. Mickey D, o’brien, franks and Bennett seems to me to be perfect players for foulston to be around and learning.