Re: County in the 80’s

I remember someone giving Aldo stick and I telling him that with his pace and potential he could play at the top level.The guy said I was nuts,nothing changes as people still say it to me.Mind you I had the same reaction when I said Darren Peacock would play at a higher level.Perhaps I should have been a manager,oh yes I also said Byron Anthony was a good signing after FGR stuffed us 5-0.I got the same comment about my sanity then also.

Threadbare wrote:The era in question had , for me, everything. great side, big crowds, same division as other "bigger" Welsh teams. Somerton Park was a dump, but as a former player keeps saying to me, "but it was our dump". Many of the players loved playing there.It also had snack bars that mostly didn't open, the ability to walk around the ground to the end we were attacking. and the iconic kit.
I can remember more players from that era, ours , and the opponents than from any other time since 1964 upto the current day.
Nostalgia . It's not what it used to be !!

pembsexile wrote:Just my opinion but I think the era of the early 80's are unlikely ever to be repeated at a club like ours. Some of the players we had just have to go up there are the best that have ever played for the County. Oakes, Lowndes, Vaughan, Moore, Aldridge, Tynan would probably get into any 'greatest ever' team. What memories.

I remember standing on the terrace beside the grandstand (just above the smelly bogs) listening to the abuse given to John Aldridge when he first arrived. It was awful to hear. Didn't last long though and he soon won them over. Cannon and Ball were the top Tv show at the time and their favourite catchphrase was used consistently for my favourite ever player - Rock on Tommy. Great times.
I agree great players and a great manager but what with hindsight sticks out is the financial stability we owned th3 ground and paid something like £20k / £25k for Tynan would struggle to make that fee today (let alone the Johnson / Waddle fees) maybe players get paid more today but what I think is killing football clubs financially now is the size of squad - this period was great you knew your first team and they played week in week out and one sub.

County ranger wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Just my opinion but I think the era of the early 80's are unlikely ever to be repeated at a club like ours. Some of the players we had just have to go up there are the best that have ever played for the County. Oakes, Lowndes, Vaughan, Moore, Aldridge, Tynan would probably get into any 'greatest ever' team. What memories.

I remember standing on the terrace beside the grandstand (just above the smelly bogs) listening to the abuse given to John Aldridge when he first arrived. It was awful to hear. Didn't last long though and he soon won them over. Cannon and Ball were the top Tv show at the time and their favourite catchphrase was used consistently for my favourite ever player - Rock on Tommy. Great times.
I agree great players and a great manager but what with hindsight sticks out is the financial stability we owned th3 ground and paid something like £20k / £25k for Tynan would struggle to make that fee today (let alone the Johnson / Waddle fees) maybe players get paid more today but what I think is killing football clubs financially now is the size of squad - this period was great you knew your first team and they played week in week out and one sub.
And nobody had heard of hamstrings or cruciate ligaments

Two away games I attended in the 80's summed up the good and the bad for me. Firstly beating Shrewsbury 0 v 3 in the second leg of the Welsh Cup Final. A truly joyous never to be forgotten occasion. Secondly losing to Telford 3 v 0 a game that many thought would not get played and signalled the end of existence. Ironically my recollection of the Telford game is that we started off looking the more professional side but then .......

The year we blew promotion to div 2 over the easter period going to oxford on the football special on easter Saturday and being herded like cattle to and from the ground, but we won 3-0 if my memory serves me right goals from aldo tynan and lowndes. then easter Monday beating Cardiff 1-0 at Somerton goal from aldo, only for 5 days later to lose 0-3 at home to pompy and the rest as they say is history.

Good Morning!

I have quite a few memories of this time, mainly because just getting to see my team play from so far away was a special occasion in itself!

Firstly cycling from Northampton, with a Cobblers supporting school mate. A four day “road trip”, Stopping at youth hostels on the way, Cleeve Hill, Chepstow, St Briavels and Stow on the Wold.
We took in a race meeting at Chepstow, and got the train from Severn Tunnel Junction to Newport.
Possibly an Easter game, think the races were the Welsh Champion Hurdle, Night Nurse winning odds on, we backed quite a few winners and came home with more money than we took!

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Morning!

I have quite a few memories of this time, mainly because just getting to see my team play from so far away was a special occasion in itself!

Firstly cycling from Northampton, with a Cobblers supporting school mate. A four day “road trip”, Stopping at youth hostels on the way, Cleeve Hill, Chepstow, St Briavels and Stow on the Wold.
We took in a race meeting at Chepstow, and got the train from Severn Tunnel Junction to Newport.
Possibly an Easter game, think the races were the Welsh Champion Hurdle, Night Nurse winning odds on, we backed quite a few winners and came home with more money than we took!

Phil in Northampton
Morning Phil. That would have been in either 76 or 77 as Night Nurse won it in both those years. I wouldn't try cycling to Chepstow to see the race now though as it is held in Ffos Las near Llanelli, however, you probably know that.

I wonder who the County played?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Jimmy Exile wrote: My brother says the Newport Cardiff rivalry which meant there were mini riots almost every other Saturday. It just seemed to dominate that era

According to Threadbare you're claiming that you have no brother.

Uh oh, Jimmy, you've been busted kid. School boy error. Why did you lie about not having a brother? Brendan has got who you are right hasn't he :lol:

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Jimmy Exile wrote: My brother says the Newport Cardiff rivalry which meant there were mini riots almost every other Saturday. It just seemed to dominate that era

According to Threadbare you're claiming that you have no brother.

Uh oh, Jimmy, you've been busted kid. School boy error. Why did you lie about not having a brother? Brendan has got who you are right hasn't he :lol:

Waking this morning I was inspired to write a poem. It has shades of Keats, if I say so myself. It is called 'He who lols last, lol's loudest.

My name is Jimmy,
I am a riddle,
And them as knows me,
Think I'm just piddle.

I have no father,
And yet no mother,
I'm not too sure,
If I have a brother.

I live in the desert,
In the Mojave,
With a six foot rabbit,
His name is Harvey.