*** 2nd Choice Goalkeeper *** ?
Mamadou TOURAY
Jay FOULSTON
Charlie COOPER (season long)
Loan No.2 – as required
Loan No.3 – as required
Loan No.4 – as required
Loan No.5 – as required
With Touray and Foulston more than likely to go out on loan I'd say we need another 6 players.
GK, LB, 2 CM and 2 strikers.

Re: The 18/19 squad...so far

Will be interesting to see how the squad takes shape. Compared to last season I think we are already in a much better position with Flynn pretty much keeping what he wants and the new guys, who would appear to be established FL players, replacing guys like Bobb, Jackson, Williams etc who were never going to bring much to the table.
Last season a hardcore of 15/16 players made 88% of the FL appearances (552 apps out of 626 apps), percentage is probably greater if you base it on starts.
Martin, Cole, Quigley, Bobb, Jackson, Reid, Sheehan, Hayes, Osadebe, Collins, Touray and Bittner made a total of 64 apps between. If we can trim our reliance on these mainly makeweights we could maybe run with a smaller, better quality squad, fingers crossed.
Granted the squad has to service the cup fixtures also.

faerun exile wrote:Will be interesting to see how the squad takes shape. Compared to last season I think we are already in a much better position with Flynn pretty much keeping what he wants and the new guys, who would appear to be established FL players, replacing guys like Bobb, Jackson, Williams etc who were never going to bring much to the table.
Last season a hardcore of 15/16 players made 88% of the FL appearances (552 apps out of 626 apps), percentage is probably greater if you base it on starts.
Martin, Cole, Quigley, Bobb, Jackson, Reid, Sheehan, Hayes, Osadebe, Collins, Touray and Bittner made a total of 64 apps between. If we can trim our reliance on these mainly makeweights we could maybe run with a smaller, better quality squad, fingers crossed.
Granted the squad has to service the cup fixtures also.
Interesting figures there. Put it ike that, three fit and competent new recruits would easily cover those listed above. Actually, just two, as Sheehan is already on the books and hopefully will be a regular (30+ games).

The stats for Stanley’s second half of the season are remarkable, not just the results but also the personnel used.

P23 W18 D2 L3 Pts56

4 players started 23 games.
4 started 22 games.
1 started 20 games - signed in window.
1 started 19 games.
1 started 15 games - signed in window.
The guys signed in the Jan window were pretty much everpresents.

So that’s 11 guys starting 92.4% of the 23 games, 234 starts out of 253.

During these 23 games:

23 players were used in total, of which 6 made 1 appearance only and 4 less than 5 appearances.
23 subs were made, of which 12 were made after the 84th minute. So an average of 1 sub per game compared to us last season at average of 2.6.
No subs were made in 7 games.

Incredible job by Coleman, squad and staff.

George Street-Bridge wrote:It looks like either they got incredibly lucky in bringing in exactly the right players who happened to strengthen an already strong team, or they spent serious money on players they knew would do that.
Two out of three.

As you say they may have spent some serious money, or they may have got lucky.

However they might also have been astute and worked hard at getting it right. As Gary Player said, the harder he worked the luckier he got.

faerun exile wrote:The stats for Stanley’s second half of the season are remarkable, not just the results but also the personnel used.

P23 W18 D2 L3 Pts56

4 started 22 games.
1 started 19 games.

During these 23 games:

23 players were used in total, of which 6 made 1 appearance only and 4 less than 5 appearances.
23 subs were made, of which 12 were made after the 84th minute. So an average of 1 sub per game compared to us last season at average of 2.6.

Sounds like they had a lot of luck in terms of injuries.

Ado wrote:
faerun exile wrote:The stats for Stanley’s second half of the season are remarkable, not just the results but also the personnel used.

P23 W18 D2 L3 Pts56

4 started 22 games.
1 started 19 games.

During these 23 games:

Sounds like they had a lot of luck in terms of injuries.
Presumably their disciplinary record must have been pretty good as well.

I think when it comes to squad building County are always going to be one of the smaller teams. Money is our main problem compared with others in the league we either need to fins a way to make more of it or spend it more wisely than everyone else in the league.
There are lots of reasons why we aren't as flush and I am not a professor in football economics but the easiest way is to attract more fans. For example Exeter another fan owned club (I know not absolutely comparable) got an average of 516 fans through the door. Round it down to 500 and then say of those half were full price paying adults 250x£20 is an extra £5000 gross a game over 23 home games a season £115,000 I know all these are subject to various fees for safety and security etc but even if half of that is net profit we still get an extra £75000 a year from my fag packet maths. I hope we can try and attract more people from within the city to the games unfortunately we put on some dismal displays at some of the games with fan incentives last season.

What I am trying to say in a round about way is we look to have built a decent squad with our relatively small budget plenty of promotion exprience!