Re: Serious question.

halfmoon wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
halfmoon wrote:It seems like the WRU/Dragons are being really short sighted in how they’re treating us. It seems like they’ve just had a massive outlay on new players, and attendances seem to be on the slide.

The Dragons seem to be built on sand, financially speaking, so surely it won’t be long before they need us as much as we need them?

(Oops, that was a lot of ‘seems to be’!)

The WRU own the Dragons & Rodders though, they've got plenty of money, certainly don't need anything we have to bring to the table........especially when they're sitting on a prime bit of land that they bought for a 'steal' and there's strong rumours of a North Wales regional team....
That sounds about right, unfortunately. If (when) WRU have to sell RP it’ll be far more lucrative to bulldoze it for flats than continue to run it

The thing is that Newport City Council can prevent the destruction of Rodney Parade whatever the WRU choose to do.

The idea that the city council would allow the destruction of a stadium in the city of Newport, for it to be bulldozed, destroying the dreams of many thousands of sports fans in our town to be and allowing those dreams to be trampled into the dust, just to make a short term profit. That idea is risible. Only a dim witted turd sniffing dog with a hopelessly facile view of the world would ever believe such a thing possible.

The mayor and corporation would never countenance such a thing. I mean look what they did to Somerton Park...........

Oh hang on. :oops:

Yes precisely Stan. The thing is as well , these days I’m not sure the council can refuse a development for long, isn’t there an appeal process that would overturn any frivolous ruling? Because we think a stadium is a necessity doesn’t necessarily mean that the appeal tribunal would come to the same conclusion. Fortunately, I don’t believe the WRU or the Dragons want to sell up and ship out but if they did, it would be a disaster for the city’s sports fans.

lowandhard wrote:Yes precisely Stan. The thing is as well , these days I’m not sure the council can refuse a development for long, isn’t there an appeal process that would overturn any frivolous ruling? Because we think a stadium is a necessity doesn’t necessarily mean that the appeal tribunal would come to the same conclusion. Fortunately, I don’t believe the WRU or the Dragons want to sell up and ship out but if they did, it would be a disaster for the city’s sports fans.
I don't think that they will. I don't say it's impossible but I don't think it likely.

I do think that the WRU will act in a way which is in their best interest. And whilst I can see Newport County bring in some revenue, I think that the inconvenience of having Newport County there outweighs the income in.

I am sure if I came to your house and wanted to live there and offered you ninety pounds a week you would say yes if you were broke but no if you weren't. I am also fairly sure if I offered you £10,000 a week you'd not only say yes but would probably bring me a cup of tea and a round of toast every morning.

GSB thinks this analogy facile to the current position of County at Rodney Parade. He is entitled to that view, I would be interested to know what you think.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
lowandhard wrote:Yes precisely Stan. The thing is as well , these days I’m not sure the council can refuse a development for long, isn’t there an appeal process that would overturn any frivolous ruling? Because we think a stadium is a necessity doesn’t necessarily mean that the appeal tribunal would come to the same conclusion. Fortunately, I don’t believe the WRU or the Dragons want to sell up and ship out but if they did, it would be a disaster for the city’s sports fans.
I don't think that they will. I don't say it's impossible but I don't think it likely.

I do think that the WRU will act in a way which is in their best interest. And whilst I can see Newport County bring in some revenue, I think that the inconvenience of having Newport County there outweighs the income in.

I am sure if I came to your house and wanted to live there and offered you ninety pounds a week you would say yes if you were broke but no if you weren't. I am also fairly sure if I offered you £10,000 a week you'd not only say yes but would probably bring me a cup of tea and a round of toast every morning.

GSB thinks this analogy facile to the current position of County at Rodney Parade. He is entitled to that view, I would be interested to know what you think.
For that I’d also get you a couple of boiled eggs and some of my lemon marmalade for the toast :grin: