Re: Apparently there's a football tournament in Russia

excessbee wrote:Better team won. Some really poor individual performances. Kane and Lingard especially. Rashford looked like someone plucked from a schoolboy team and chucked into a senior game, utterly lost. For once, I thought Sterling should have stayed on. Never said that before. Complete lack of energy after about sixty minutes.

Pretty much agree with your summary.

Better team won yes but it wasn't too hard for them..English lads bottled it . They thought they had it won once they went ahead. Need better players in midfield to control the game. Alli and Lingard cant be classed as midfielders with them in a three and considering the team had wing backs they had no width..Young also way off the pace...Rose didn't improve it when he replaced him.
Why did Southgate keep Trippier on. he could hardly move with a groin problem , then he takes Walker off...Two mins later Trippiers groin goes completely

neilcork68 wrote:
excessbee wrote:Better team won. Some really poor individual performances. Kane and Lingard especially. Rashford looked like someone plucked from a schoolboy team and chucked into a senior game, utterly lost. For once, I thought Sterling should have stayed on. Never said that before. Complete lack of energy after about sixty minutes.

Better team won yes but it wasn't too hard for them..English lads bottled it . They thought they had it won once they went ahead. Need better players in midfield to control the game. Alli and Lingard cant be classed as midfielders with them in a three and considering the team had wing backs they had no width..Young also way off the pace...Rose didn't improve it when he replaced him.
Why did Southgate keep Trippier on. he could hardly move with a groin problem , then he takes Walker off...Two mins later Trippiers groin goes completely
Ask Stan

neilcork68 wrote:

True , the footballing team won and forced England’s 3-5-2 to a 5-3-2 at which point the midfield couldn’t live with Modric and co. For a tiny nation about the size of Wales population-wise , that’s one hell of a team.

England had their chances. They could have had it sewn up in the first half. For Kane to hit the post from two feet (admittedly a tight angle), well. They should have put a few away then. Could have been 3-0 up.

After their previous two games I thought it would be Croatia that tired, not England. Just think that at 1-1 England reverted to type. Desperation and hope. They did far better than I expected though, well done.