Re: Tomorrow's Gate

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:
rncfc wrote:My enthusiasm levels are at an all-time low - I won't be going, even though there's nothing stopping me.
Make that 3,123 then Jim !!!

Bloody hell my nephew can't go now :shock: that's 3122 :shock:
Three of us now here in Newport Jim..
Back to 3125!

Phil in Npton

When first hearing the attendance announced it sounded disappointing. However, on reflection, leaving the Crewe fans out of the equation, there were 2990 County fans in attendance (or listed as such) which was only 5.44% down on last season's average. So considering the promise of poor weather, people on holiday, not as bad as it first appears.

newgroundrodney wrote:When first hearing the attendance announced it sounded disappointing. However, on reflection, leaving the Crewe fans out of the equation, there were 2990 County fans in attendance (or listed as such) which was only 5.44% down on last season's average. So considering the promise of poor weather, people on holiday, not as bad as it first appears.
How many away fans in the 4,332 at our first home match last season?

Amberexile wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:When first hearing the attendance announced it sounded disappointing. However, on reflection, leaving the Crewe fans out of the equation, there were 2990 County fans in attendance (or listed as such) which was only 5.44% down on last season's average. So considering the promise of poor weather, people on holiday, not as bad as it first appears.
Good point on balance whilst I do not disagree with NGR points on why the crowd was “average” when considering the usual first game optimism overall the crowd was disappointing- the stay always missed a good game and what I thought was an excellent County performance with some good football on view. The new signings on paper may not excite but I thought they all did well and I think based on yesterday will improve the team Franks and Harris excellent.

County ranger wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Good point on balance whilst I do not disagree with NGR points on why the crowd was “average” when considering the usual first game optimism overall the crowd was disappointing- the stay always missed a good game and what I thought was an excellent County performance with some good football on view. The new signings on paper may not excite but I thought they all did well and I think based on yesterday will improve the team Franks and Harris excellent.
Last season, our first home against Chesterfield was when we were unbeaten in 3 away games, still riding the crest of the great escape wave. We had 4065 County fans present, which was 28.6% higher than the eventual average. Last season Chesterfield brought 267 away fans, this season Crewe brought 253, and we had 2990 following an away defeat at Mansfield, as well as the weather etc...

Amberexile wrote:Wasn't it Bank Holiday weekend last year when lots of families will have been away too?
Yes, I think you're right there.
Also, on my sheet for last season, I have Crewe Alexandra highlighted in yellow, indicating it was some kind of special offer or different arrangement. There were 4357 County fans against Crewe last year.
I just think, for a bread n butter game, in bad weather, after a 3-0 defeat at Mansfield, a gate that's just 5.4% below last years overall average was not too bad a showing.

Not really comparable to the excitement last season and the wait for a Chesterfield game against one of the bottom sides, with the team not having played at home since staying up in the final match of the season and having started very well. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that.

Last season's game was a "homecoming" with all the goodwill of the Great Escape, this one was just the second match of the season.

lowandhard wrote:I’ll pre-empt Norm by saying black iron guarded by stewards but think you’re in the right area, I’ll go 3251
I claim the prize especially as I had intended to be there but was ill :( What do I get? :grin:
Not bad crowd considering weather forecast, holidays etc imho. A couple more good results and continuing good football and let’s hope it improves.