Re: One of the worst referees I've seen in my life

Whilst I am in total agreement on how bad the performance was by Mr Kettle was on Tuesday was it a wise / professional comment to make from our manager ?

Frustration , anger , disappointment etc are all emotions MF must have felt but to openly criticise the ref in the media is asking for trouble. their paths are bound to cross again as he is bound to ref one of our games in the future and what do you think the outcome will be from MR Kettle after being so openly criticised by MF ?

I am surprised we haven't heard that MF is being charged by the FA for his comments yet because with the FA there is only going to be one outcome...(We may well have and I missed it ?)

neilcork68 wrote:Whilst I am in total agreement on how bad the performance was by Mr Kettle was on Tuesday was it a wise / professional comment to make from our manager ?

Frustration , anger , disappointment etc are all emotions MF must have felt but to openly criticise the ref in the media is asking for trouble. their paths are bound to cross again as he is bound to ref one of our games in the future and what do you think the outcome will be from MR Kettle after being so openly criticised by MF ?

I am surprised we haven't heard that MF is being charged by the FA for his comments yet because with the FA there is only going to be one outcome...(We may well have and I missed it ?)

Maybe, although Alex Ferguson used to regularly publicly criticise referees and he done ok as a manager.

neilcork68 wrote:Whilst I am in total agreement on how bad the performance was by Mr Kettle was on Tuesday was it a wise / professional comment to make from our manager ?

Football is by nature a passionate game. If Flynn had made his comments the following morning then perhaps you could be critical. However still hyped just after the game you'd be a stoic not to react.

rncfc wrote:Neil isn't half critical of Mr Flynn for some reason. Yeah yeah, I know, you pay your money etc. But come off it, this is a bit tedious.

Its not being critical of him , I would probably have done the same thing but sometimes you have to use your head in certain circumstances . If MF wants to be in management for a long time remarks like this to the press ain't going to do him or his team any good. He is bound to come across Kettle in the future or somebody who knows/ likes him and he be on a downer straight away because of such comments.
The FA are having , or were having a 'respect the ref campaign' and such remarks dont help.

Yes I was as angry as most but you have to take the rough with the smooth when you have a game reffed by humans...Will he be shouting from the roof tops if a ref gives his team a decision that was wrong and won us the game ? NO

As bad as Kettle was it was our opening 10 minutes of the game that cost us any chance of victory as much as bad decisions. Three games in a row ( HOME ) we have gifted the opposition 2 goal head starts. Thats not solely down to bad decisions.
Keep quiet and work on what he can alter is advice he should take not poor decisions. he hopefully will get some decisions that go his way to even out the ones that don't

All of the referees I know and have worked with in the past take far more notice of self-criticism and criticism from their team (assistants, 4th official, assessor) than they do of managers, players, supporters etc.

I don't know of a single referee who hasn't at some point after a poor performance thrown his kit bag down and declared that he's giving it up on getting home from a poor performance, not because he's taken some abuse but because he is so annoyed that he could be so inept. Most go out the following weekend determined to do better and usually do.

Kettle will know he had a poor game, he will have told himself this and will have been told by his team and assessor on the night. The next time he referees either team he will be determined to put in a better performance without harbouring petty grievances. Whether he is capable of a better performance is another question.

Amberexile wrote:All of the referees I know and have worked with in the past take far more notice of self-criticism and criticism from their team (assistants, 4th official, assessor) than they do of managers, players, supporters etc.

I don't know of a single referee who hasn't at some point after a poor performance thrown his kit bag down and declared that he's giving it up on getting home from a poor performance, not because he's taken some abuse but because he is so annoyed that he could be so inept. Most go out the following weekend determined to do better and usually do.

Kettle will know he had a poor game, he will have told himself this and will have been told by his team and assessor on the night. The next time he referees either team he will be determined to put in a better performance without harbouring petty grievances. Whether he is capable of a better performance is another question.
With particular regards to your second paragraph, its just a pity that the scenario you just described didn't happen two weeks ago.

Cornish Exile wrote:II cannot imagine why the media expect a rational discussion with a manager immediately after the game has ended.

Presumably, that's why they do it.
The is nothing 'presumably' about it. They do it for effect. Conflict, contrast, it gives the media something to report and it sells.

Whether you like him or not is irrelevant, but look at the crap and 'column inches' given to the Jose Mourinho story over the past few weeks. It is in the media best interests to create and report on it. The thing I object to is that it is portrayed as honest journalism when what they are really doing is treating fans as bloody idiots.