Wales rugby matches

In the past we've had a dilemma,should we alter home game ko times/dates to avoid clashing with Wales rugby matches.Just checked the dates and the good news is that out of nine Internationals,only three clash with our home games.Wales play Tonga on the day we entertain Colchester and they are away to Italy when AFC are home to Mansfield.I don't think our gate will be effected by those two games but the day we are home to Cheltenham,Wales are home to Ireland.This is the last weekend of the Six Nations and could be a decider on the Championship.Does anyone think the Club should consider switching the Cheltenham game to Friday night or Sunday afternoon.

Re: Wales rugby matches

Percy plunkett wrote:
Barnabas wrote:Has the kick off time for Wales v Ireland been fixed yet?
Yes,2.45.
No need to move to Friday or Sunday then. Surely Cheltenham could get to Rodney Parade for a 12 noon on the Saturday.

Given that the Cheltenham game is a bit of a derby, wouldn't be surprised if the Plod make the decision for us though.

Barnabas wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
Barnabas wrote:Has the kick off time for Wales v Ireland been fixed yet?
Yes,2.45.
No need to move to Friday or Sunday then. Surely Cheltenham could get to Rodney Parade for a 12 noon on the Saturday.

Given that the Cheltenham game is a bit of a derby, wouldn't be surprised if the Plod make the decision for us though.
I left that option out as we tried early ko's before .It still effected the gate as exile fans may have not come because of time restrictions and other people didn't want to rush off to see rugby so just stayed away.

Corpaboy wrote:Do they have drums and people singing at the rugby games ??
I'm not going if they do !
I want to sit quietly and watch .... like at the Opera , like .
Another serious question sabotaged my someone making a point.

I have to say that whilst I agree entirely with you that banning drummers is ridiculous, by the same token GSB merely suggested that they be moved, in my opinion wrong, but a view he us entitled to hold.

I do wish that we could conduct ourselves properly, shouting down those with whom we disagree is not healthy.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:Do they have drums and people singing at the rugby games ??
I'm not going if they do !
I want to sit quietly and watch .... like at the Opera , like .
Another serious question sabotaged my someone making a point.

I have to say that whilst I agree entirely with you that banning drummers is ridiculous, by the same token GSB merely suggested that they be moved, in my opinion wrong, but a view he us entitled to hold.

I do wish that we could conduct ourselves properly, shouting down those with whom we disagree is not healthy.
"Another serious question sabotaged by some one making a point" ???
I can't believe I'm hearing this !
Do you agree with my opinion , Stan ?
No ? Never mind .... it's my opinion .. you have yours .....

Pot ....Kettle .... Black ....
I can hear the drums in the distance

Percy plunkett wrote:In the past we've had a dilemma,should we alter home game ko times/dates to avoid clashing with Wales rugby matches.Just checked the dates and the good news is that out of nine Internationals,only three clash with our home games.Wales play Tonga on the day we entertain Colchester and they are away to Italy when AFC are home to Mansfield.I don't think our gate will be effected by those two games but the day we are home to Cheltenham,Wales are home to Ireland.This is the last weekend of the Six Nations and could be a decider on the Championship.Does anyone think the Club should consider switching the Cheltenham game to Friday night or Sunday afternoon.
Wales v Tonga is hardly a game that you'd be too upset to miss. The Italy game might deter some because it often is a fixture that has open rugby and a high number of points. To even consider playing on the same day as Wales v Ireland would be madness, but it might be difficult to move as I'd imagine the Dragons and/or Newport RFC would have taken up either the Friday or the Sunday (or possibly both). Primacy of fixtures is one thing but if the dates of Rugby Internationals are released after the football fixture list it can be difficult to make changes in dates/times.

wattsville_boy wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:In the past we've had a dilemma,should we alter home game ko times/dates to avoid clashing with Wales rugby matches.Just checked the dates and the good news is that out of nine Internationals,only three clash with our home games.Wales play Tonga on the day we entertain Colchester and they are away to Italy when AFC are home to Mansfield.I don't think our gate will be effected by those two games but the day we are home to Cheltenham,Wales are home to Ireland.This is the last weekend of the Six Nations and could be a decider on the Championship.Does anyone think the Club should consider switching the Cheltenham game to Friday night or Sunday afternoon.
Wales v Tonga is hardly a game that you'd be too upset to miss. The Italy game might deter some because it often is a fixture that has open rugby and a high number of points. To even consider playing on the same day as Wales v Ireland would be madness, but it might be difficult to move as I'd imagine the Dragons and/or Newport RFC would have taken up either the Friday or the Sunday (or possibly both). Primacy of fixtures is one thing but if the dates of Rugby Internationals are released after the football fixture list it can be difficult to make changes in dates/times.
As this problem arises every year perhaps a little foresight by our club might be in order. As in writing to the FA in advance and making the request that where a County game clashes with a rugby game involving Wales, that if the opposition agree we might be allowed to reverse the fixtures.

This is the type of foresight that a competent CEO would bring to our club. In short one of the many little things we could do, which can add up, and make a difference.

If a CEO asked to reverse just two fixtures during the 6 nations for instance that could quite easily result in us playing 4 games away in a month. This would affect much needed revenue, performance and subsequently impact on our promotion/ relegation run in.

It would make him incompetent, not competent in my view.

Willthiswork wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: This is the type of foresight that a competent CEO would bring to our club. In short one of the many little things we could do, which can add up, and make a difference.
Have we ever had one that was here over a year to think of that? :D

That is the point of paying someone to foresee and deal with problems.

It is not that difficult. Newport is a Welsh city. Rugby, more accurately international rugby, is a source of Welsh national pride. Therefore gates of Welsh football teams are likely to be damaged to an extent greater by a Welsh rugby international than English clubs are by an England rugby team playing on the same day.

If a CEO solves that problem at £15 per spectator footfall, even 100 extra spectators equates to £1500.

So, having done that a CEO will have paid his/her wages for ten days. Assuming a £50,000 salary.

I know that sounds deceptively simple. That is because it is very simple. Good ideas usually are.

Most of us remember Graeme Westley's complicated systems. But compare and contrast Joe Harvey, a very good manager from an earlier time. Faced with a fullback who was getting skinned by a winger who was just too fast, what were Joe's words of wisdom? Did he work out complicated zonal marking? Perhaps worked on a system whereby two players marked this wizard of the wing?

No. Instead he gave simple advice which worked. His reply to, 'But boss, he is just so fast', was simple.

'See how fast he can f@cking limp.'

Play the football on its scheduled day and be damned!
Let them that want to go to watch rugby go, those who want to watch football come to the County.
I've asked this question before on here, but what exactly HAPPENS at Rodney Parade on a Wales international rugby day, to the extent that they have to postpone a 4th Div football game?
We have a game of a DIFFERENT sport, in a DIFFERENT city and we're chopping and changing fixtures.

What are the issues exactly?
Is it bar sales at Rodney Parade?
Is police availability for both events?
Is it us wanting to please everyone? (How many County fans would go to rugby? How many of those would be ST holders whose money we've already had anyway? - serious question cos I don't know - so how much ticket revenue would be lost, against the lost ticket revenue in moving the fixture to a date some County fans can't make)
Do they use the Rodney Parade facilities for rugby fans to watch on the TV instead of travelling 14 mins on the train to be AT the game itself? - if THIS is the case, then Newport people really DO have priority issues!

So tell me, what exactly goes on at Rodney Parade, when an international rugby match is taking place 15 miles away?...

newgroundrodney wrote:Play the football on its scheduled day and be damned!
Let them that want to go to watch rugby go, those who want to watch football come to the County.
I've asked this question before on here, but what exactly HAPPENS at Rodney Parade on a Wales international rugby day, to the extent that they have to postpone a 4th Div football game?
We have a game of a DIFFERENT sport, in a DIFFERENT city and we're chopping and changing fixtures.

What are the issues exactly?
Is it bar sales at Rodney Parade?
Is police availability for both events?
Is it us wanting to please everyone? (How many County fans would go to rugby? How many of those would be ST holders whose money we've already had anyway? - serious question cos I don't know - so how much ticket revenue would be lost, against the lost ticket revenue in moving the fixture to a date some County fans can't make)
Do they use the Rodney Parade facilities for rugby fans to watch on the TV instead of travelling 14 mins on the train to be AT the game itself? - if THIS is the case, then Newport people really DO have priority issues!

So tell me, what exactly goes on at Rodney Parade, when an international rugby match is taking place 15 miles away?...
I suppose that people can read your structured argument, read my converse point of view and make up their own minds as to who they agree with.

And that is how this board should be. I have to say that your idea that we shouldn't care about what others do but concentrate on what we do has a merit which I had not considered.