Re: Out of town stadia

Since Rodney Parade has no car park to speak of, once a match finishes, there's this huge dispersal of people in all different directions. My GUESS is that many are heading for the car parks around the ground. Yes, people leave the ground on foot, but where they go afterwards is anyone's guess. Buses and trains don't seem TOO packed after a match, but then not everyone wears colours so it's not easy to tell.
Not being from Newport, I'm not familiar with locales that are within walking distance, and how likely people from there might be to attend games.
I suppose at a guess, I'd say 30% use transport, 30% cars, and the rest on foot..... but it really is just a guess.

I hated going to Spytty because parking anywhere within reasonable walking distance always seemed a hassle and because I had to take the car it meant not drinking. Not that there were many drinking holes within spitting distance of the ground.

For me a (fairly) central location is a must for any potential new stadium. But it's also a pipe dream. There is no appetite for any new sporting venue in Newport amongst the movers and shakers of the city. And unfortunately I feel the County BOD have no plan B for when (and it is a when and not an if) the WRU give up the Dragons as a bad joke, take their money elsewhere and bulldoze RP for housing.

wattsville_boy wrote:I hated going to Spytty because parking anywhere within reasonable walking distance always seemed a hassle and because I had to take the car it meant not drinking. Not that there were many drinking holes within spitting distance of the ground.

For me a (fairly) central location is a must for any potential new stadium. But it's also a pipe dream. There is no appetite for any new sporting venue in Newport amongst the movers and shakers of the city. And unfortunately I feel the County BOD have no plan B for when (and it is a when and not an if) the WRU give up the Dragons as a bad joke, take their money elsewhere and bulldoze RP for housing.

That's assuming of course that the Planning Authority will allow a change of use.

I believe we are in right place, but on the wrong terms.
Also , of course, the blue touch paper is now lit to the end of our lease.

Ideal scenario, a new long term lease/partnership deal, which is beneficial rather than onerous.

Anyone see that happening ?

I don't unless the local authority gets involved.

In the current climate , can't see any prospect of that.

Threadbare wrote:I believe we are in right place, but on the wrong terms.

Ideal scenario, a new long term lease/partnership deal, which is beneficial rather than onerous.

I’m not sure , I’m hoping there’ll be enough goodwill in the future for the formation of Sporting Club Newport - now that’s a dream worth holding onto and in a city the size of Newport it’s surely feasible. Football, rugby and gym/social club membership on one ticket, how about that.

lowandhard wrote:

I’m not sure , I’m hoping there’ll be enough goodwill in the future for the formation of Sporting Club Newport - now that’s a dream worth holding onto and in a city the size of Newport it’s surely feasible. Football, rugby and gym/social club membership on one ticket, how about that.
Actually this was something I mooted as an idle fancy a few years back. Such alliances are not unheard of in much of Europe.

Why not? Mind you if I had my way I would vote for Newport being a City State.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
lowandhard wrote:

Actually this was something I mooted as an idle fancy a few years back. Such alliances are not unheard of in much of Europe.

Why not? Mind you if I had my way I would vote for Newport being a City State.
The only problem I can see, is the WRU wanting to own more of Wales than Wales itself, and the greed for the blazer/tie brigade just want to look after their own, and not give a flying one about any sporting institution in Newport......I genuinely hope I'm wrong...