Re: Well done that man

Agreed Jim, and well done that man. AED's have saved countless lives over the years. I hope they become more available in public places. Some lesser known issues about them;

You do not have to be trained to use them. You get a prompt (usually in an American accent) depending upon the manufacturer.

The defibrillator does not actually start the heart, quite the opposite. Normally a victim will be in dysrythmia and the defibrillator stops the heart allowing normal sinus rhythm to recommence by virtue of the heart's in built system.

Some studies suggest that for each defibrillator shock, 5 years are taken off your natural life span. Hmmm. Never quite got my head around that one. Something to do with the shock of the energy pulse damaging the heart muscles.

They are not used where a manual defibrillator is available.

Great product though. More needed.

Amberexile wrote:Another issue with them is that there is a chunky ongoing maintenance cost so if we were to donate one we would have to factor in this cost as well or agree that we would not be responsible for it.
Not necessarily a chunky ongoing maintenance cost at all. I'm pretty sure that one of the posters on here knows someone at the Clinical Engineering department at the RGH. They could be asked to take it on.

pembsexile wrote:
Amberexile wrote:Another issue with them is that there is a chunky ongoing maintenance cost so if we were to donate one we would have to factor in this cost as well or agree that we would not be responsible for it.
Not necessarily a chunky ongoing maintenance cost at all. I'm pretty sure that one of the posters on here knows someone at the Clinical Engineering department at the RGH. They could be asked to take it on.
I'm going by a piece on the local (Yorkshire) news recently with several organisations saying that they took delivery of them and expected them to be fully funded but were now being asked to pay sums they could not afford putting the future of devices in jeopardy. If I recall correctly, the batteries need to be checked regularly and replaced after a time. The original provider (which I think was the ambulance service) was shown up in a poor light in that report. I would want us to avoid ending up with similar publicity. If there is a simple answer that's great as it is a good idea but better we are aware of this up front.

Amberexile wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
I'm going by a piece on the local (Yorkshire) news recently with several organisations saying that they took delivery of them and expected them to be fully funded but were now being asked to pay sums they could not afford putting the future of devices in jeopardy. If I recall correctly, the batteries need to be checked regularly and replaced after a time. The original provider (which I think was the ambulance service) was shown up in a poor light in that report. I would want us to avoid ending up with similar publicity. If there is a simple answer that's great as it is a good idea but better we are aware of this up front.
Is it possible to have them insured?

Device insurance is not the answer. Insurance is there for when things go wrong. You crash your car and you get a payment via insurance etc.

That is not the point with defibrillators. They are there to help save lives. You need to have a maintenance procedure in place to prevent things going wrong. That is where the local hospital can come in. If they can't, due to resource issues etc, then there are private medical companies out there who can do the maintenance. Shouldn't be a big issue.

They are being stationed in pubs and village halls in rural areas.
My grown up son collapsed with a panic attack so I went round to the Coach and Horses pub in Caerwent for their defibulator, luckily the paramedic was already there when I got back who stabilised him so I didn't have to use it but it was reassuring that it was there.
Chris

Amberexile wrote:We are talking about life saving equipment and should make sure we get it right by making sure that he equipment will never be in a state where it fails to save a life because it has not been maintained properly.
Cheap jokes really don't have a place in the conversation.
If there is no defibrillator then the life is hardly likely to be saved, is it?

Edit.

And I generally find a little humour helps oil a serious conversation. Outside of Yorkshire most people do. 8)

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:We are talking about life saving equipment and should make sure we get it right by making sure that he equipment will never be in a state where it fails to save a life because it has not been maintained properly.

Edit.

And I generally find a little humour helps oil a serious conversation. Outside of Yorkshire most people do. 8)
So which part of my point that if donating a defibrillator we should be aware of the need for maintenance and ensure that adequate arrangements are put in place is it that you disagree with?

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Edit.

So which part of my point that if donating a defibrillator we should be aware of the need for maintenance and ensure that adequate arrangements are put in place is it that you disagree with?
I would say here's the defibrillator it is your responsibility to maintain it. I suspect it will come with a manual and a list of approved engineers.

What part of if there is no defibrillator then the lack of maintenance is not an issue are you struggling with?

If I donated a school to a village in the Congo, would not being able to supply the teaching staff negate the good of providing the building?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: I would say here's the defibrillator it is your responsibility to maintain it. I suspect it will come with a manual and a list of approved engineers.
I refer you to my very first post on this thread -

"Another issue with them is that there is a chunky ongoing maintenance cost so if we were to donate one we would have to factor in this cost as well or agree that we would not be responsible for it."

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: I would say here's the defibrillator it is your responsibility to maintain it. I suspect it will come with a manual and a list of approved engineers.
I refer you to my very first post on this thread -

"Another issue with them is that there is a chunky ongoing maintenance cost so if we were to donate one we would have to factor in this cost as well or agree that we would not be responsible for it."
I have read your first post. You have created a problem which is not there.

If they were offered a defibrillator they are under no obligation to take it. Although I suspect that being of sound minds they would. I fail to see the problem with saying we can donate but can't be responsible for the running costs.

Once again if I were to build a school in the Congo but could not supply the teachers would the good of the building be negated? Or is that too preposterous a question to be worthy of your good self?

By the way if anybody would like to buy me a new car but isn't willing to pay all my running costs I would still be very grateful.

Now of course in Yorkshire it seems that the recipients also expected the running costs to be covered. Well there are only those two well known Yorkshire expressions.

See all, hear all, say nowt. Eat all, sup all pay nowt. And of course Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred, strong int' arm, thick in head.

As I said, what is it about Yorkshire? :grin: