European Super league

Disturbing news on the BBC this morning. Apparently there have been secret negotiations between the European super clubs to form a European league allegedly starting in 2021. I suppose we should have seen it coming. More money for the already cash rich elite. Look after number 1 eh?

Before anyone suggests that this has nothing to do with the County, ask yourself why they are doing it. Money, money, money. The cash will stay within the elite helping to fund transfers. The top players will be on board and so, obviously will the agents. The TV companies will love it and so will the fans of the top clubs.

I fear for the long term future of the smaller clubs all over Europe. We don't know the financial details yet, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the lower league clubs will get the dregs of any financial deal.

Re: European Super league

excessbee wrote:If it is an either/or between a European league and the Premier league I'm not so sure the attending fans would prefer the former. However, the armchair TV 'fans' will love it. They still won't have to go further than the front room.
It seems it's something that'll replace The Champions' League.......so not really a league at all then, cos I'm assuming they'll still be part of the EPL too.

Football at the highest level is a circus. By that I mean not that it's a joke but that top players move around and the game is run on a basis where players move around. The reality is a European super league is inevitable.

There is question outstanding. Will it have promotion and relegation or will it be a franchised operation? If the former then it is merely a development of what we have now. If the latter it will be the end of football as we know it.

The reason being that without promotion being possible, you take away the dream, however unlikely, of your team playing at the top level.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Football at the highest level is a circus. By that I mean not that it's a joke but that top players move around and the game is run on a basis where players move around. The reality is a European super league is inevitable.

There is question outstanding. Will it have promotion and relegation or will it be a franchised operation? If the former then it is merely a development of what we have now. If the latter it will be the end of football as we know it.

The reason being that without promotion being possible, you take away the dream, however unlikely, of your team playing at the top level.
Couldn't we just readjust the divisions though, by promoting extra teams up to the top flight to replace those that leave?....then knock it on down through the rest of the Pyramid, perhaps promoting extra teams up from the National League, giving some clubs a chance of EFL football, where perhaps they may never have reached it under the current structure.
Then we'd have a new big 5 clubs in the EPL to replace the ones who left, who the EPL could tell, "if you leave, you leave for good"...

newgroundrodney wrote:How many English teams will join it?.... is it only open the the teams at the very top of the premier?
According to the BBC, 7 elite European clubs including Arsenal and Man Utd went behind UEFA back to set it up. They were then joined by another 4 including Liverpool to make a founding 11. Then they added another 5 including Man City and Chelsea to make a super 16. These clubs will have the guarantee of no relegation for 20 years! Most of the clubs are either saying 'no comment' or denying it.

Yes, it is inevitable, but it still stinks. If ever proof was needed of the saying 'money talks' this is it.

newgroundrodney wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Football at the highest level is a circus. By that I mean not that it's a joke but that top players move around and the game is run on a basis where players move around. The reality is a European super league is inevitable.

Couldn't we just readjust the divisions though, by promoting extra teams up to the top flight to replace those that leave?....then knock it on down through the rest of the Pyramid, perhaps promoting extra teams up from the National League, giving some clubs a chance of EFL football, where perhaps they may never have reached it under the current structure.
Then we'd have a new big 5 clubs in the EPL to replace the ones who left, who the EPL could tell, "if you leave, you leave for good"...
.....and that should be the sanction as well as exclusion from all domestic cup competitions, if that doesn’t occur the cups should be boycotted.

pembsexile wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:How many English teams will join it?.... is it only open the the teams at the very top of the premier?
According to the BBC, 7 elite European clubs including Arsenal and Man Utd went behind UEFA back to set it up. They were then joined by another 4 including Liverpool to make a founding 11. Then they added another 5 including Man City and Chelsea to make a super 16. These clubs will have the guarantee of no relegation for 20 years! Most of the clubs are either saying 'no comment' or denying it.

Yes, it is inevitable, but it still stinks. If ever proof was needed of the saying 'money talks' this is it.
Edit - after reading what Stan' mate Zimmo has said, I should have said 'money screams' :grin:

pembsexile wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

Edit - after reading what Stan' mate Zimmo has said, I should have said 'money screams' :grin:
Come to think of it he also said something about where the answer was to be found, buggered if I can remember what. :grin: