Re: Do people still think like this...

I was watching an under 14s rugby game the other day two sets of lads really going for it . The best player was a long haired winger, strong and really quick. Turns out, he wasn't a lad but a girl. No one batted an eyelid. I think if this young lady (in the article ) is good enough to make the team she should be picked on merit. Any sexist comments should be dealt with by the school.

bishbashbosh wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46074539

Beyond belief that this is still the attitude of some people, I'd like to think its the minority.

Good opportunity for the club to offer our support to the young lady and show that we are a club living in 2018 unlike some people!
Yes people do still think like this unfortunately, but it's far better now than it has been so far, and will improve given more time. When we see our guards of honour, and we see many young girls included in the day's events, we can know at least that NCAFC are doing their bit towards eventual total acceptance of females in football. At a time when we have international ladies' teams, some countries more successful than others, we can see that ladies football still has a ways to go, but it's no longer a minority sport.
Mind you, I'm not sure if it's true, but does NCAFC no longer have a ladies team?.... they were reasonably good at one point I recall.
The real disappointment in this girl's case, is the quote from her teachers, that "football is a boy's game"..... surely, even if the public still hold on to old attitudes, you'd expect her SCHOOL to have moved on from that approach long ago.

Thinking of the female rugby player as mentioned above, I'd ask the same question I asked some months ago on this MB: if there was a female playing football, who was SO good, SO strong, SO talented, would she be allowed to join a men's team?.... If not, why not? I refer of course to the TV drama of the 1990s, filmed at Loftus Road, 'Born Kicking', in which a female footballer, Roxanne Reddy was considered so good, she was good enough to play alongside and against men.

I am all in favour of girls and women playing football. All at primary school level I have think mixed sport is desirable. The treatment of this young woman in Cwmbran is disgraceful.

However for all sorts of reasons mixed competive contact sports are not going to work at adult level. To pretend otherwise is nonsense. I remember when Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King had their battle of the sexes. She was in her prime, he was an old man. When a sixty year old woman goes ten rounds with Tyson Fury, then I will change my mind.

Although I grant you, Shannon Briggs sounds like a woman. 8)

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I am all in favour of girls and women playing football. All at primary school level I have think mixed sport is desirable. The treatment of this young woman in Cwmbran is disgraceful.

However for all sorts of reasons mixed competive contact sports are not going to work at adult level. To pretend otherwise is nonsense. I remember when Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King had their battle of the sexes. She was in her prime, he was an old man. When a sixty year old woman goes ten rounds with Tyson Fury, then I will change my mind.

.... why not? If she's good enough, and equal in every other way? Let's remember, there's many a man who'll bottle out of a tackle with say, Akinfenwa. There would need regulation changes regarding changing rooms, showers, etc, but don't we already do that for female officials?

newgroundrodney wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:I am all in favour of girls and women playing football. All at primary school level I have think mixed sport is desirable. The treatment of this young woman in Cwmbran is disgraceful.

.... why not? If she's good enough, and equal in every other way? Let's remember, there's many a man who'll bottle out of a tackle with say, Akinfenwa. There would need regulation changes regarding changing rooms, showers, etc, but don't we already do that for female officials?
Follow the money.

The best female tennis players have successfully argued for being paid as much as their male counterparts.

Arch feminists such as Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova have never argued that they should be allowed to enter men's competitions.

Why? Because they know that they would be over powered. No matter how good a female player is she simply isn't going to be able to compete in a physical confrontation with the likes of Roy Keane. And whilst I utterly agree with equality of gender trying to pretend women can compete with men in sport is not tenable.

Clearly in equestrian events, pure skill events, yes but where physical strength is involved it won't happen.

This is not a men are better argument. Women are better gymnasts than men. Also if I were the best horseman in the world at six foot three and sixteen stone I can't ever ride in the Derby.

Women and men are equal. The idea that we are physically the same is in my view not sustainable.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:

Follow the money.

The best female tennis players have successfully argued for being paid as much as their male counterparts.

Arch feminists such as Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova have never argued that they should be allowed to enter men's competitions.

Why? Because they know that they would be over powered. No matter how good a female player is she simply isn't going to be able to compete in a physical confrontation with the likes of Roy Keane. And whilst I utterly agree with equality of gender trying to pretend women can compete with men in sport is not tenable.

Clearly in equestrian events, pure skill events, yes but where physical strength is involved it won't happen.

This is not a men are better argument. Women are better gymnasts than men. Also if I were the best horseman in the world at six foot three and sixteen stone I can't ever ride in the Derby.

Women and men are equal. The idea that we are physically the same is in my view not sustainable.

.... But if a woman came along who was equal in every way, perhaps even better in some, should she be ALLOWED to join a men's team, or should she be denied for no other reason than her gender?

Willthiswork wrote:I always find it amusing why sports such as Darts and Snooker are not routinely mixed. As mentioned above, equestrian and horse-racing are.
I know some might think this a misogynist reaction but men, on average, have a better sense of spacial awareness. Women are better on average than men at learning foreign languages. That is not to say that some women can't play snooker or darts at a top level or that most men can.

When I used foreign language interpretators in court, I noticed no difference in standard between male and females, but the overwhelming number of court interpretators were women.

Further, snooker and darts tend to be played in pubs and clubs. Which amplifies the disparity.