Re: European Super league

penycwm county wrote:Like real-world politics, the big -rich countries (clubs) make an uneasy alliance to maintain their privileges.
Been listening to this since the early '00s. Sounds like a bluff.
Anyway, it would mean a severe attack to UEFA and the end of the Champions League prestige.
I wouldn't be so sure. If you look at American Football it is a franchise. I would bet that Wembley will see team in the NFL before too much longer. A twenty team European super league makes sense. Russian oligarchs, Yankee money men and Saudi Princes would have a money spinners product.

It would be disastrous for us mind. Not because it would change much but because it would take away the dream.

penycwm county wrote:Like real-world politics, the big -rich countries (clubs) make an uneasy alliance to maintain their privileges.
Been listening to this since the early '00s. Sounds like a bluff.
Anyway, it would mean a severe attack to UEFA and the end of the Champions League prestige.
The end of the current Champions League scenario would be irrelevant if they could play Chamionship league every week. Replace one money spinning model with a bigger one. Money 'screams'.

Interpol could have a field day investigating money laundering with that one.

Elmo wrote:Let them go and take the plastic prawn sandwich brigade with them! Leave real football teams and real fans to get on with it!
I agree. But it does end the dream. Stood forty years ago watching County beating Bournemouth 3-0 I suppose those dreams of playing at the top level would have seemed pretty remote to the Bournemouth fans. But dreams there were.

It's going to happen and you're right. But not all change is for the best.

Marky wrote:Kicking them out of domestic cups will hurt lower league clubs more than anyone.
It will. But to a very large extent the FA, Cup is already treated as a second rate competition and the League cup little more than a run out for squad players.

My second game was a 1967 league cup tie with Second Division Blackpool. Over 13,000 in the crowd. I doubt we'd get 4,000 for that tie today.

penycwm county wrote:The fans should challenge the five English clubs reported to be involved to properly consult their own supporters. We think those fans will reject the idea but there is only one way to find out - ask them.
I have no doubt that the fans of these clubs will be against the idea.

I have no doubt either that the owners of these clubs will not give a toss.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
penycwm county wrote:The fans should challenge the five English clubs reported to be involved to properly consult their own supporters. We think those fans will reject the idea but there is only one way to find out - ask them.
I have no doubt that the fans of these clubs will be against the idea.

I have no doubt either that the owners of these clubs will not give a toss.
If supporters were to organise a boycott of the companies behind the sponsorship deal to support this new league, the money would soon dry up.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Elmo wrote:Let them go and take the plastic prawn sandwich brigade with them! Leave real football teams and real fans to get on with it!
I agree. But it does end the dream. Stood forty years ago watching County beating Bournemouth 3-0 I suppose those dreams of playing at the top level would have seemed pretty remote to the Bournemouth fans. But dreams there were.

It's going to happen and you're right. But not all change is for the best.

At about the same time,we were watching County play Southampton on a regular basis in Div 3 South.