Re: Do people still think like this...

Willthiswork wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Women have, and do even more so now, play in darts tournaments against the men but the best female players are nowhere near the best male players.
Not in championship tournaments tho'?

Wrong. Yes they have, they’ve always been open to qualifying for the PDC World Championships (Anastasia Dobromislova lost in the preliminaries a few years back) and some other big tournaments but this year 2 women will be competing in the PDC World Championship

Alison Fisher competed with the men for a while at snooker but didn't make it

Women golfers can join tour events but men can't join their events bit strange that one because I suspect a lot of local golf pro's not good enough for the men's tour could make a tidy living from the women's game

Woner why women struggle at darts snooker etc but can beat men on a horse easily

The difference in world records for 100m is something like 9.5% from the man to the woman, but that's for the very best in the world. I'm sure there are plenty of women who could leave plenty of men for dead over 100m. Same goes for swimming.
Think of players like Christian Jolley, who was blown off the ball if the wind was too strong. There are plenty of women could give him a game of football, and lots of other players too. Not all male players are Keanes or Pipes or Akinfenwas. I'm not suggesting women would have to be the best players, only that they could compete, and I'm convinced there are loads that could.

newgroundrodney wrote:The difference in world records for 100m is something like 9.5% from the man to the woman, but that's for the very best in the world. I'm sure there are plenty of women who could leave plenty of men for dead over 100m. Same goes for swimming.
Think of players like Christian Jolley, who was blown off the ball if the wind was too strong. There are plenty of women could give him a game of football, and lots of other players too. Not all male players are Keanes or Pipes or Akinfenwas. I'm not suggesting women would have to be the best players, only that they could compete, and I'm convinced there are loads that could.
If women could complete against men at professional football don't you think that the top women players would be clamouring to be given a chance?

I am all in favour of women playing football. That women's football is shown on TV is good. I can accept that women can be as skillful as men. I have no doubt that a professional women's football team would beat a team of me and ten clones 20-0 at least. A male professional team would beat me and my clones 40-0.

Could the very best woman player hold her own in the Newport and District League? Possibility. Now given the choice would the top women players want to be competing with other women, getting paid, travelling the world, writing a column in the papers, and looking forward to a media career, or would they prefer to be having the be jaysus kicked out of them in Kimberley Park of a Saturday afternoon?

The "degenderisation" (is that even a word?) of absolutely everything in the modern world is driving me absolutely insane.

Instead of crying "gender discrimination" at every opportunity, just try and change things if you feel that strongly about it. If it turns out you're the only girl in the year that wants to play football, well - guess what - you might have to find somewhere outside of school to play (which I know for a fact this girl already does).

It's less to do with gender discrimination and more to do with resource I imagine. When I was in school I really wanted to do drum lessons, but there were so few people interested it would have had to be in my lunch break to make it practical. Guess what - I taught myself out of school time.

newgroundrodney wrote:The difference in world records for 100m is something like 9.5% from the man to the woman, but that's for the very best in the world. I'm sure there are plenty of women who could leave plenty of men for dead over 100m. Same goes for swimming.

The very best sportswomen will be able to compete with the average sportsman probably, but nowhere near at elite level.
Athletics, as you use for example, the 2016 women’s 100m Olympic champion (10.71) was slower than the 8th placed man (10.06) which in 100m terms is huge.
In fact, her winning time was beaten by 51 of 55 men in the heats (2 of them didn’t finish due to injury and 1 disqualified).

penycwm county wrote:I don't think that this is about whether she should be able to play for a "boys" team, its about the name calling that she gets just because she chooses to kick a ball, that's the worrying bit.

Unfortunately it’s been like that in schools for many years and it’d be exactly the same for a boy who wanted to play netball, he’d sadly be called ‘gay’