Re: Matic

UPTHEPORT wrote:I thought that's what the men fought for in Both wars so we all have choices

Non story really
That’s right and as regards the argument that he takes the English club’s money so he should wear the poppy, well I’d say he signed to be a professional footballer not a professional poppy-wearer.

I do not have a problem with anyone exercising the freedom our ancestors fought to do or say what they want in a peaceful manner. I do have a problem with 4 middle aged English men that burn an effigy of the Grenfell tower under an English flag in their garden and post the evidence on social media.

The irony being that they are undoubtedly proud poppy wearers.

pembsexile wrote:It frustrates the hell out of me that you cannot reply after three previous quotes although I must admit I can see the reason why.

Fao dt1892 - I am making a comment specifically about the Matic case. This was the content and the question at the start of the thread. You have brought the Poppy Police and McClean into it.

For Matic, it is his personal choice and because he has explained it, I understand. Fair enough to him.
My opinion is that nobody has to explain why they are/aren't wearing anything. It all started with McClean. Did you see the video of his own fans screaming abuse at him? All because of him not wearing one, like Matic. Footballers never used to wear poppies on their shirts and nobody expected an explanation for it.

I don't see what I've said that isn't mirroring what others have posted?

Alan G Bryant wrote:I do not have a problem with anyone exercising the freedom our ancestors fought to do or say what they want in a peaceful manner. I do have a problem with 4 middle aged English men that burn an effigy of the Grenfell tower under an English flag in their garden and post the evidence on social media.

The irony being that they are undoubtedly proud poppy wearers.
That's not irony. That is an attempt to equate proud poppy wearers with English nationalist, racist scumbags who did a terrible thing. Irony normally has its ending in humour. Please tell me where the humour is in your comment.

DT1892 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:It frustrates the hell out of me that you cannot reply after three previous quotes although I must admit I can see the reason why.

Fao dt1892 - I am making a comment specifically about the Matic case. This was the content and the question at the start of the thread. You have brought the Poppy Police and McClean into it.

For Matic, it is his personal choice and because he has explained it, I understand. Fair enough to him.
My opinion is that nobody has to explain why they are/aren't wearing anything. It all started with McClean. Did you see the video of his own fans screaming abuse at him? All because of him not wearing one, like Matic. Footballers never used to wear poppies on their shirts and nobody expected an explanation for it.

I don't see what I've said that isn't mirroring what others have posted?
The Royal British Legion have stated their case regarding the wearing of poppies, it is a view I share. They express it better than I can.

No, I have not seen the video of McClean, I have no intention of watching it either.

Ironic that the FA and all other football bodies reserve the right to punish clubs when their fans bring politics into football, and then go and make a big deal out of situations like this thereby bringing politics into football.

Why bother putting poppies on shirts? It was never deemed necessary a few years back. Just have the pause for silence and get on with the game please.

That's exactly what I think as well. I can remember back to the 1950's when there were lots of men living who had served in the Great War. While there was always Remembrance Day and the sale of poppies to raise funds to help ex servicemen there was nothing like the poppy mania we see today. I'm not sure that this poppy fixation and chasing after people who don't wear one is healthy.

Concerning the Serbian, hundreds were killed by Nato bombing including by the RAF and I can understand his point. I've long suspected that Jill Dando was murdered as an act of revenge for the killing of a woman TV presenter by Nato bombing of the TV studios in Belgrade. But the British authorities have never wanted to countenance such a theory. Instead locking up an innocent local crackpot instead.

G Guest wrote:That's exactly what I think as well. I can remember back to the 1950's when there were lots of men living who had served in the Great War. While there was always Remembrance Day and the sale of poppies to raise funds to help ex servicemen there was nothing like the poppy mania we see today. I'm not sure that this poppy fixation and chasing after people who don't wear one is healthy.

Concerning the Serbian, hundreds were killed by Nato bombing including by the RAF and I can understand his point. I've long suspected that Jill Dando was murdered as an act of revenge for the killing of a woman TV presenter by Nato bombing of the TV studios in Belgrade. But the British authorities have never wanted to countenance such a theory. Instead locking up an innocent local crackpot instead.
Goodness me :shock: