Re: Shrews and Mike Flynn

Shrewbury are 16th in League One. Barring the odd 4 or 5 year period over the past 100 years, this is exactly where history suggests they should be. Yet for some reason they are looking for a new manager after massively overachieving last season.

For any manager going there I'd be asking exactly what the expectation is. Seems to me that they're exactly where they should be, yet they've just fired a manager after only a few months in the job.

I'd be a bit gutted if he left us to go there. Not a particularly attractive proposition in my eyes, as there isn't much scope to improve them over the short-term, and it's already been proven that managers won't be given time - they're expecting instant success and instant success above their station.

If someone like Sunderland, Bradford, or even Notts County poached him I would be less miffed, as all of these clubs could be improved reasonably quickly and taken up a couple of levels, but Shrewsbury? Lol.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:
It is interesting that Edinburgh has already publicly distanced himself from the Wimbledon job, perhaps he is learning.
Which rather begs the question why Michael ' it's flattering' Flynn clearly isn't distancing himself from the Shrewsbury job, don't ya think?
It's obvious that on the right terms he'd be off there like a shot. He'd be right as well.

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:
It is interesting that Edinburgh has already publicly distanced himself from the Wimbledon job, perhaps he is learning.
Which rather begs the question why Michael ' it's flattering' Flynn clearly isn't distancing himself from the Shrewsbury job, don't ya think?
It's obvious that on the right terms he'd be off there like a shot. He'd be right as well.
I agree entirely.

However if we can't compete with Shrewsbury should we not be asking why?
That we can't compete with Sunderland is something I can understand, but Shrewsbury?

No disrespect to Shrewsbury, what they do with the size of their potential support is magnificent. But surely with the size of our town compared to their catchment area, we need to address this in a slightly less defeatest attitude than Newport people don't want football.

The key question for MF is "having been here for 18 months in charge, what can Newport offer me over the next couple of years?"

If the answer is a transfer/wage budget that is not much more than he has now then that is likely to force his hand. I agree with Stan though - the fact he has not said otherwise and even mentioned in his post match interview that there would be a couple of other clubs watching as well or words to that effect. It's a case of when not who for me.

The quotes from Ricketts are similar to that of Flynny's really. If you're being cynical, they both say "I'd be up for a chat if you give me a call".

Fingers crossed they go for Wrexham's man instead of ours, because I think either would go in all honesty - even though I personally think that either one would most probably end up regretting it in 12 month's time. Seems to me that a job well done up there isn't good enough for expectations at the moment.

[quote="Stan A.
However if we can't compete with Shrewsbury should we not be asking why?[/quote]

Not really as the answer is obvious, they have a multi-milionare chairman who has invested millions in the club.

Much better in my opinion to ask how we can convince those who can afford to donate more but don't to do so.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:Is Lennie Lawrence the strategic power behind the throne, if so, then his services are the one to be retained as much as Flynn’s? Personally I think it may be.
I'm inclined to agree with you.

If Mike Flynn did decide to move on, we still have the likes of Lennie Lawrence, Wayne Hatswell and Byron Anthony "in house".No need to look elsewhere for a replacement.

Cornish Exile wrote:
Taunton Iron Cider wrote:Is Lennie Lawrence the strategic power behind the throne, if so, then his services are the one to be retained as much as Flynn’s? Personally I think it may be.
I'm inclined to agree with you.

If Mike Flynn did decide to move on, we still have the likes of Lennie Lawrence, Wayne Hatswell and Byron Anthony "in house".No need to look elsewhere for a replacement.

Hatswell would go with Flynn to a new job.IMO

Caerleon Exile wrote:Someone on Rectum forum seems to think Flynn travelled to Shrewsbury today. Not sure how they would know though :roll:

Odds were out to 5/1 earlier today and have shortened slightly to 3/1, third favourite behind Nolan (5/2) and Ricketts (11/8)
It was mentioned on the Shrewsbury forum but qualified as a rumour. Also wouldn’t the Club have to give permission?