Re: Cup revenue

Fourthousand wrote:OK - here's my two pennies worth:

The revenues are to small at present to reach or achieve sustainability nor do they provide for a real competitive playing budget and certainly not even close to dream about the purchase/development/contribution towards a new ground.

No banks loan to football clubs/ the council ain't going to help/ our landlords ain't going to help (different ball game and I see no benefactor on the horizon( I don't like that route anyway).

So we have to do it ourselves. Totally agree we need a 5 year Business Plan. For me that 5 year Business Plan should have one objective only - to grow REVENUE. I'll explain why:

I could simply say that without it everything else is just PIE IN THE SKY

We need to develop and turn on our consistent revenue streams that drive the bottom line. In turn that will help achieve sustainability and increase the playing budget and if they 'gush' then also into a ground fund (along with Cup windfalls).

So one idea for such a stream. Other clubs have put electronic advertising on main motorways (M4 for us) - they provide 'significant' revenues which drive the bottom line I.e. advertising monies PLUS we can promote our forthcoming fixtures PLUS awareness of our brand and in some instances our very existence = upside is potential increase in crowds/sponsorship. (Other clubs are doing this successfully). Imagine the deal we could offer then to sponsors.

So use our cup run money to invest in these as a one off capital expenditure to develop and grow a revenue steam year after year. Once we have this type of thing in place THEN we can plan what to do with any surplus cash but in the NOW don't waste any time on grounds or stadiums or playing in the Championship or finding a benefactor just focus every last mortal into driving revenue and the rest will come.

There.
UTC
.................................................................................................................................
You have highlighted some very goods points and ideas. On the emboldened bit above, serious question, when you say "year after year" , just how many years do we have? There will come a time when the chance to stay at Rodney Parade will be closed to us, and at some point the chance to arrange playing anywhere at all will also close to us..... so how many years do we have to achieve the revenues? Cos one day we'll be homeless no matter how much money we've got coming in, it'll be too late to stay here, and too late to move elsewhere.
We can 't leave it til three months before the lease is up while we build revenue streams, as much as we do need to do the things you mention.

newgroundrodney wrote:
We can 't leave it til three months before the lease is up while we build revenue streams, as much as we do need to do the things you mention.
I agree entirely.

And be you remain or leave, if you would all like to see the car crash which happens if you do leave it to the last three months, just turn on the News Channel and take a look at how Brexit is going.

newgroundrodney wrote:

The revenues are to small at present to reach or achieve sustainability nor do they provide for a real competitive playing budget and certainly not even close to dream about the purchase/development/contribution towards a new ground.

No banks loan to football clubs/ the council ain't going to help/ our landlords ain't going to help (different ball game and I see no benefactor on the horizon( I don't like that route anyway).

So we have to do it ourselves. Totally agree we need a 5 year Business Plan. For me that 5 year Business Plan should have one objective only - to grow REVENUE. I'll explain why:

We need to develop and turn on our consistent revenue streams that drive the bottom line. In turn that will help achieve sustainability and increase the playing budget and if they 'gush' then also into a ground fund (along with Cup windfalls).

So one idea for such a stream. Other clubs have put electronic advertising on main motorways (M4 for us) - they provide 'significant' revenues which drive the bottom line I.e. advertising monies PLUS we can promote our forthcoming fixtures PLUS awareness of our brand and in some instances our very existence = upside is potential increase in crowds/sponsorship. (Other clubs are doing this successfully). Imagine the deal we could offer then to sponsors.

So use our cup run money to invest in these as a one off capital expenditure to develop and grow a revenue steam year after year. Once we have this type of thing in place THEN we can plan what to do with any surplus cash but in the NOW don't waste any time on grounds or stadiums or playing in the Championship or finding a benefactor just focus every last mortal into driving revenue and the rest will come.

There.
UTC
.................................................................................................................................
You have highlighted some very goods points and ideas. On the emboldened bit above, serious question, when you say "year after year" , just how many years do we have? There will come a time when the chance to stay at Rodney Parade will be closed to us, and at some point the chance to arrange playing anywhere at all will also close to us..... so how many years do we have to achieve the revenues? Cos one day we'll be homeless no matter how much money we've got coming in, it'll be too late to stay here, and too late to move elsewhere.
Yes nothing wrong with the our board having a sub group man making the Council; another marking and reporting on the WRU and the Dragons(seperate objectives) and yet another looking at ' what and if' scenarios. But IF our board isn't spending 90% of their time focussed on delivering and supporting plans for revenue generation thent they are looking in the wrong place/barking up the wrong tree. It's not a talking shop/ a place to exchange gossip - it is the place to provide positive direction and focus efforts to achieve.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:
I agree entirely.

And be you remain or leave, if you would all like to see the car crash which happens if you do leave it to the last three months, just turn on the News Channel and take a look at how Brexit is going.
this is the daftest analogy i have ever read. boris is playing the maybot like an old fiddle and we are less than three months from the ideal situation of a no deal brexit. bring it on.:cheers:
although there is no update on WRU matters in the latest board minutes it is good to see that guy will produce minutes of future meeting with the WRU but will they be shared with the fans?

Fourthousand wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:

There.
UTC
Yes nothing wrong with the our board having a sub group man making the Council; another marking and reporting on the WRU and the Dragons(seperate objectives) and yet another looking at ' what and if' scenarios. But IF our board isn't spending 90% of their time focussed on delivering and supporting plans for revenue generation thent they are looking in the wrong place/barking up the wrong tree. It's not a talking shop/ a place to exchange gossip - it is the place to provide positive direction and focus efforts to achieve.
Some years ago a friend of mine and myself both bought houses at the same time. Back then mortgage companies gave cashbacks on purchase.. My friend decided to use the money to take herself and here boyfriend on holiday to the States and Canada for a fortnight. I put in a new kitchen.

Now one can argue she had the holiday of a lifetime, and memories to last a lifetime. Me I had a kitchen. Neither decision was in and of itself the wrong one. And you can never tell for sure what would happen if you take the other road. I mean my kitchen could have caught fire and I'd have no kitchen and no memories.

I have wonderful memories of European football, Division three, the Welsh Cup. Of watching Tynan and Aldridge and so many others. If you ask me now would I exchange those memories for County to be playing at an upgraded Somerton Park, the answer is yes. I would also trade those memories for the chance of being at an upgraded Somerton Park.

I agree that raising revenue is of primary importance. But the decisions on how that revenue is spent is equally important.

xisle wrote:you would have been able to afford a kitchen and a holiday if you had become an ex-fan earlier
That's true.

Now tell me, are you determined to ruin every thread with snide little remarks? Or just the ones I'm on? I don't mind but I suspect that many people who want to discuss Newport County would rather you didn't.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
xisle wrote:you would have been able to afford a kitchen and a holiday if you had become an ex-fan earlier
That's true.

Now tell me, are you determined to ruin every thread with snide little remarks? Or just the ones I'm on? I don't mind but I suspect that many people who want to discuss Newport County would rather you didn't.
Just fed up with your life history and the ' life lesson stories' that go with it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:We all know that there is a spectre at the feast. We are not certain of our tenure at Rodney Parade.

We know also that the Chairman of the Dragons, who are going to have a big say in our future has offered to talk to our supporters.

We all know said chairman is not only a very successful businessman but also the son of a regular contributor on here.

I accept it might be that talking gets us nowhere. Perhaps said chairman really only cares about the rugby and will offer us nothing. Yes he might indeed break his poor father's heart. (Assuming Highandwide has a heart to break.)

But please can somebody explain one tiny little thing. And my apologies for shouting.

WHAT POSSIBLE HARM CAN TALKING DO?.
I agree. There is also nothing stopping the Dragons chairman speaking to the County supporters if he feels he has anything relevant to say about our future, my guess is he has not.
My understanding is that County have not taken him up on his offer. I will gladly be corrected if I am wrong.

As for what he has to say, a serious suggestion. Listen to what he has to say first of all. Before you make making any judgements. If you guess he has nothing to say, the likelihood is that nothing is what you will hear. We all tend to hear what we want to hear, and interpret from that.

A little story but true. Many years ago in a Newport and district under 14 league game, Pill YMCA defeated Toneville United 13-0.
At the end of the game the somewhat disheartened Toneville manager lambasted the team. At the goalkeeper he shouted, "And your performance was like nothing on earth" amongst other things.

Well the little goalkeeper left nearly in tears, nobody would even sit next to him on the mini-bus back to Bettws. But being a brave little lad he composed himself before going through the back door into the kitchen where his Mam was making the tea. "How did you get on?" asked the Mam. "Well we lost but the manager said I was out of this world."

Which helps prove two things. We all hear what we expect to hear. And even at 13 I was an arrogant little f@ck. :grin:

What a lovely story.

A year ago , the Dragons chairman spoke publicly about the urgency to develop the cabbage patch the old clubhouse including a hotel and offices and revenue streams.
How is that coming along?

Fourthousand wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
That's true.

Just fed up with your life history and the ' life lesson stories' that go with it.
as an ex-fan he does seem to spend a lot of time on the forum of our club
mind you i am looking forward to the upcoming youtube episode from the world dummy spitting championships :lol:

[quote="neilcork68"]Gavin Foxhall stated on live TV in front of 5 million viewers that the cup revenue wasn't taken into account when the clubs budget was agreed pre the season starting.
Or thats how I heard it :wink:[/quote

Agree and I assume the same was true of the previous season so why did we not seem improvements equal to the income received from the 2017/18 cup run. It's no wonder people become more and more sceptical.

allontheamber wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Gavin Foxhall stated on live TV in front of 5 million viewers that the cup revenue wasn't taken into account when the clubs budget was agreed pre the season starting.

Agree and I assume the same was true of the previous season so why did we not seem improvements equal to the income received from the 2017/18 cup run. It's no wonder people become more and more sceptical.
What do you mean as 'improvements'?

allontheamber wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Gavin Foxhall stated on live TV in front of 5 million viewers that the cup revenue wasn't taken into account when the clubs budget was agreed pre the season starting.

under the financial fair play regulations our budget should assume the Club does not progress past Round 1 of any competition.