Re: Cup revenue

Fourthousand wrote:
allontheamber wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Gavin Foxhall stated on live TV in front of 5 million viewers that the cup revenue wasn't taken into account when the clubs budget was agreed pre the season starting.
Or thats how I heard it :wink:[/quote

Agree and I assume the same was true of the previous season so why did we not seem improvements equal to the income received from the 2017/18 cup run. It's no wonder people become more and more sceptical.
What do you mean as 'improvements'?
I would have started by considerably beefing up the commercial department. Bring in professionals with proven track records. I suspect it would be one area where we could have seen a significant return on investment.

allontheamber wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
I would have started by considerably beefing up the commercial department. Bring in professionals with proven track records. I suspect it would be one area where we could have seen a significant return on investment.
Can't disagree but if you pay peanuts!!!

allontheamber wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
allontheamber wrote:
Agree and I assume the same was true of the previous season so why did we not seem improvements equal to the income received from the 2017/18 cup run. It's no wonder people become more and more sceptical.
I would have started by considerably beefing up the commercial department. Bring in professionals with proven track records. I suspect it would be one area where we could have seen a significant return on investment.[/quote]

We brought in Alex Eagle who has overseen a big increase in commercial revenue

Without looking, and not including the Cup games, have we had a match sponsor that wasn't already connected through the club as a Director or the Trust etc.? Not many I think.

To have advertising boards empty for the Leicester game was extremely poor. If you can't fill them put a Trust board up to fill the gaps - at least it looks like we can sell advertisting space and we can then charge rather than putting the potential sponsor in the best bargaining position.

What do you mean as 'improvements'?[/quote]

I would have started by considerably beefing up the commercial department. Bring in professionals with proven track records. I suspect it would be one area where we could have seen a significant return on investment.[/quote][/quote]

Thanks for detail - understand your point. I also think it's all about driving up the value of the business. It's no good people gnashing teeth and pointing to our misfortunes vis a vis other clubs as all the dynamics and circumstances will have been different. This is the here and now, this is a business and yes we need to take best practice from the 'football industry' but more importantly the world of commerce (wider best practise than just football) - .we need people to sweat the asset/build the brand with experience of growing businesses.

I would be dismayed if our Board can't see this or are not addressing it I don't believe that just by 'selling the club to someone with money is the way to go - a cope out and storing up potential future problems and definitely lack of control/destiny; yes take on best advise/ have the equivalent of non ex directors on the Board but don't, please never ever give the controlling interest of the club away.

Here's a novel idea why doesn't our Board of Directors take ' the club' into The Dragon's Den - go for some investment in return for a share plus the advice to grow the brand. After x years they reduce their stake once they have taken their initial investment out - If nothing else it would put the club in the shop window for other potential (minority) private stakeholders.

Our Board need to be looking to get these people onside / engaging with them/ selling the vision without throwing the baby out with the bathwater or paying high salaries for this advise which is a cost we can ill afford at this tine of our developmeny i.e very small amount of disposable cash (If any).

Willthiswork wrote:Without looking, and not including the Cup games, have we had a match sponsor that wasn't already connected through the club as a Director or the Trust etc.? Not many I think.

To have advertising boards empty for the Leicester game was extremely poor. If you can't fill them put a Trust board up to fill the gaps - at least it looks like we can sell advertisting space and we can then charge rather than putting the potential sponsor in the best bargaining position.

Empty advertising boards for the Leicester game????

The club has a structural deficit of about £6,000 a week or £300,000 a year. This has to be met by cup runs, selling players or anything else that turns up. That's where the money goes. At least for this season we don't have to worry anymore.

G Guest wrote:The club has a structural deficit of about £6,000 a week or £300,000 a year. This has to be met by cup runs, selling players or anything else that turns up. That's where the money goes. At least for this season we don't have to worry anymore.
You might be right but it means that we were planning to run at a loss. As for not worrying this about this season, it makes my point. Four months from now the season's over.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
G Guest wrote:The club has a structural deficit of about £6,000 a week or £300,000 a year. This has to be met by cup runs, selling players or anything else that turns up. That's where the money goes. At least for this season we don't have to worry anymore.
You might be right but it means that we were planning to run at a loss. As for not worrying this about this season, it makes my point. Four months from now the season's over.
IF correct we have to drive and strive for a sustainable model before we start dreaming of stadia or L1/Championship progression - all Pie in the Sky unless we drive revenue into the business.

Fourthousand wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
IF correct we have to drive and strive for a sustainable model before we start dreaming of stadia or L1/Championship progression - all Pie in the Sky unless we drive revenue into the business.
Don't you think the two should go hand in hand?

You might be right but it means that we were planning to run at a loss. As for not worrying this about this season, it makes my point. Four months from now the season's over.[/quote]

IF correct we have to drive and strive for a sustainable model before we start dreaming of stadia or L1/Championship progression - all Pie in the Sky unless we drive revenue into the business.[/quote]

Don't you think the two should go hand in hand?[/quote]

Horse before the cart for me - invest to drive revenue but the later two is unreachable in short to medium imo

Exile 1976 wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:Without looking, and not including the Cup games, have we had a match sponsor that wasn't already connected through the club as a Director or the Trust etc.? Not many I think.

Yes, about half of the Bisley side was blank boards or no boards at all. You must have been in the Bisley and didn't see them, only the nice electronic ones?

Even if they used some of those behind the electronic ones it would have looked better than none at all.

Willthiswork wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

Yes, about half of the Bisley side was blank boards or no boards at all. You must have been in the Bisley and didn't see them, only the nice electronic ones?

Even if they used some of those behind the electronic ones it would have looked better than none at all.
This is where if the club took the trouble to communicate with fans we could advance.

You spotted something which you believe could be improved upon. Surely rather than seek to blame anyone it is the type of thing the club should now be aware of for next time. Criticism is a positive thing. Really powerful people welcome it.

Empty advertising boards for the Leicester game????[/quote]

Even if they used some of those behind the electronic ones it would have looked better than none at all.[/quote]

This is where if the club took the trouble to communicate with fans we could advance.

You spotted something which you believe could be improved upon. Surely rather than seek to blame anyone it is the type of thing the club should now be aware of for next time. Criticism is a positive thing. Really powerful people welcome it.[/quote]

I heard that last season the advertising around the pitch for televised games was priced a bit low, as we hadn't had a big game for some time.
So I guess the rates were more realistic this year. I believe that the cost for the electronic advertising at the Wembley replay was tens of thousands per minute.