Re: Forty Years Ago Today

Living in a Council house in the 50's 60's and 70's in one of the toughest parts of Town I was able to get to every County game I wanted to because that is what I prioritised and what I worked for - I had not one freebie # bleedingheartliberals and that is a comment about the County and Newport and not anything to do with Man City and Manchester which I care less than zero about.

Special branch wrote:I was there and recall the uncharitable comments made about the pitch by Brooking. We lost to Colchester in the following round. Hereford and Worcester( a foggy replay) were our earlier opponents.
Yeah, remember it but only a bit now, it was a long time ago. Clever Trevor couldn’t weave enough of his magic that night. Pop Robson’s goal and Frank Lampard Snr hoving into view but shooting wide is all I remember, for the life of me I can’t remember our goals, was behind the goals at ground level so I may not have seen them but just joined in the celebrations!

lowandhard wrote:
Special branch wrote:I was there and recall the uncharitable comments made about the pitch by Brooking. We lost to Colchester in the following round. Hereford and Worcester( a foggy replay) were our earlier opponents.
Yeah, remember it but only a bit now, it was a long time ago. Clever Trevor couldn’t weave enough of his magic that night. Pop Robson’s goal and Frank Lampard Snr hoving into view but shooting wide is all I remember, for the life of me I can’t remember our goals, was behind the goals at ground level so I may not have seen them but just joined in the celebrations!
Corner Eddie Woods header - 2 - 1 to the Port. Can't remember our first - need a memory jog for that.one.

I was there. Having been at the Hereford and Worcester games. The conditions certainly helped us beat West Ham. Again, though a great team effort by the County. Saw the Colchester draw at Somerton. Before the replay, the draw was made for Round 5. The winners of the replay would host Man Utd. Went by train to Layer Rd, and the bubble burst. Colchester took on the Red Devils.

After all the downs of the previous few years and the Great Escape season, this was a fantastic adventure for a 13 year old. Happy memories.

I was 16 at the time & I’d been to Hereford, Worcester home & away in the fog. I can clearly remember Eddie Woods’ goal, but can’t remember Howard’s. Their goal was a howitzer from Pop Robson. I can remember bumping into my German teacher in school the following day, Mr Powell (Bassaleg Comp), & he said ‘bloody great result Bowen!’. Ah! If I’d known then what I know now, I’d have left sooner!

Odd how memory plays tricks.

Our first goal was scored by Goddard at the Cromwell end. From a right wing corner by Vaughan. For years I believed it was scored by Nigel and in my minds eye I can still see Vaughan heading it in.

Pop's goal for West Ham was described by Ashurst in the Reading programme the following Saturday as worth the admission money alone.

The winning goal was at the Railway end. I recall it was bundled in by Woods. However my recollection is it was a cross but not from a corner. But as I say in my memory I see Vaughan scoring our first goal so what I know.

One tiny point. In those days teams tended to walk out at the start of the second half in dribs and drabs. County all ran out. No doubt a motivational thing. In the following round v Colchester they did so again. On the second occasion it didn't work. Colchester came for a 0-0, effectively killed the atmosphere, which never got going and was as the game progressed flat, and with 11 men behind the ball all night, left with their 0-0.

In the 5th round draw, made before the replay we drew, yes you guessed it.

Manchester United.

chepstowamber wrote:I was about 20, there was no segregation between us and West Ham fans at the Cromwell end and it was pay at the turnstiles.
Chris
It was both. I had a voucher from the Hartlepool game to buy a ticket which I did. However it soon became clear that tickets were not selling that well indeed there was much unfavourable comment prior to the match about this.

After the game Len Ashurst said he was delighted about how many had turned up.