New Railway Station

I read in the Argus proposals for a new railway station with a 1000 space park and ride facility at Llanwern.
Perfect time for WRU to hand over RP to the council in exchange for a new build, dual purpose 21st century stadium on the site. Dragons and County at the new stadium, Newport RFC at Spytty. Rail links direct to the stadium and transport facilities from the town centre.
Spytty has a new use, Council get some prime land and can afford to invest in new sporting infrastructure. We share a new stadium.

Oh well, I can dream can't I.

Re: New Railway Station

allontheamber wrote:In return for new stadium owned by the Council with us as equal partners. Who knows, in time, as some suspect, the Dragon may no longer exist and the WRU might prefer to be free of the white elephant that RP would then be.
TBH I don't think RP would be deemed as a white elephant by the WRU, rather more like a cash windfall in waiting, and probably view us as "a fly in the ointment"........

allontheamber wrote:In return for new stadium owned by the Council with us as equal partners. Who knows, in time, as some suspect, the Dragon may no longer exist and the WRU might prefer to be free of the white elephant that RP would then be.
If the Council were to reimburse the £3,000,000 the WRU spent to acquire Rodney Parade with the assurance that both Dragons and County could stay there sine die, then the WRU who have publicly stated they don't wish to own the stadium in perpetuity then I see no reason why your dreams shouldn't come true.

Don't let the naysayers destroy your dreams.

mike wilks wrote:
TBH I don't think RP would be deemed as a white elephant by the WRU, rather more like a cash windfall in waiting, and probably view us as "a fly in the ointment"........
You may be right but the local authority would need to let the WRU use it that way. And if Newport City Council are there to serve the people of Newport not the WRU then allontheamber's idea is in my view certainly a runner.

mike wilks wrote:
TBH I don't think RP would be deemed as a white elephant by the WRU, rather more like a cash windfall in waiting, and probably view us as "a fly in the ointment"........[/quote

I though there was a covenant that restricted the land to use for sport. The Council could if they wished dig their heels in and refuse any development of the site. If the Council owned the land however it becomes a different ball game altogether and they then own some prime acreage close the the centre of the city.

allontheamber wrote:
mike wilks wrote:
TBH I don't think RP would be deemed as a white elephant by the WRU, rather more like a cash windfall in waiting, and probably view us as "a fly in the ointment"........[/quote

I though there was a covenant that restricted the land to use for sport. The Council could if they wished dig their heels in and refuse any development of the site. If the Council owned the land however it becomes a different ball game altogether and they then own some prime acreage close the the centre of the city.
For what it's worth I can see it and it gets over Newport Rugby being allowed to stayy at RP
so long as a professional side play at RP ie they will both be at the new stadium.

allontheamber wrote:
In English law there is something known as the rule against perpetuity. Now where something is held in a trust the trust is deemed a living entity, in terms you can set up a trust to provide educational grants in your will. Unfortunately Rodney Parade is not held in Trust.

The rule against perpetuity is because the law gives the dead no rights. When you croak, you can't be defamed. even your body is the property of the coroner. This rule is in place to prevent the mischief of the dead controlling the living.

It is slightly more complicated when it comes to land law. As the Queen is the owner of Rodney Parade, in fact the crown owns your house, Spytty Park, in fact all land within the UK. All anyone else can own is an interest in that land.

The Crown usually in the guise of the local authority can take control of property, so long as certain criteria is met. It is called compulsory purchase but is really just compensation.

However if as Mike Wilks suggests the WRU are not interested in disposal of RP, sadly the chances are that's that.

Sadly you could be right. If the WRU see RP as a long term asset that indeed is it.

I think it is beholden on us as supporters to throw ideas out however fanciful and far fetched as they might seem. Those ideas should never be criticized by other supporters. Because they might not work they are not wrong. The solution to our problems are out there somewhere. We might correctly identify 1000 ways that don't work but who knows the next one might.
It much quicker for 1000 people to come up with one idea each than charging one person to think of 1000 ideas.

allontheamber wrote:
I think it is beholden on us as supporters to throw ideas out however fanciful and far fetched as they might seem. Those ideas should never be criticized by other supporters. Because they might not work they are not wrong. The solution to our problems are out there somewhere. We might correctly identify 1000 ways that don't work but who knows the next one might.
It much quicker for 1000 people to come up with one idea each than charging one person to think of 1000 ideas.
One of the best posts I have ever read.