Crewe - Team and formation

The reality of after the lord mayors show and the glorious FA cup victory we are back to the 'bread and butter' of the league Saturday against Crewe. Therefore what do posters believe should be our team and formation for this match. There has been much debate and changing of formation throughout the season, mainly about 4 or 5 at the back. I note that MF is suggesting he would chop and change depending on the opposition.

The team against Leicester was widely reported as a 4-3-3 formation, but I saw it as a more fluid 4-2-3-1, with Bennet and Dolan central midfield , Willmott and Sememyo as traditional wide men with Amond playing just behind Matt. Obviously we spent long periods of the game defending and attempting to present a shape of a 5 man screen the full width of the pitch in front of the back 4. Whilst accepting we were playing a Premiership and not a League 2 team. Do we continue with this formation against Crewe?

Not withstanding further injuries and /or players returning to fitness this is my suggestion for Saturday

Day- Pipe Franks Demetriou Butler- Dolan Bennett- Wllmott Amond Semenyo- Matt
Subs Townsend, Forbes, Sheehan, Bakinson, O'Brien, Nuefville(newtown?) Labadie or crofts if fit or Foulston if not. Have i forgot anyone?

Would be interested if anyone agrees/disagrees and why?

Re: Crewe - Team and formation

Cornish Exile wrote:
papajohn wrote:Day-
Pipe Franks Demetriou Nuefville
Wllmott Dolan Bennett Butler
Amond Matt

Subs Townsend, Forbes, Sheehan, Bakinson, O'Brien, Semenyo, Labadie or Crofts if fit or Foulston if neither.
Labadie and Crofts still unfit. Foulson off to Merthyr on loan. Surely, after Sunday's performance, Semenyo must start.
+1 this !
I think the only change will be Butler back in for Neufville .... although I'd love to see them both in the side down the left at some point

Special branch wrote:Day
Pipe Franks Demitriou Neufville
Wilmott Benett Amond Butler
Matt Semenyo

Tynan scored hordes of goals from midfield with Aldridge and Gwyther up front
I’m liking that side! :grin: don’t think it’ll happen though!
As regards old cromwellian’s translation of Neufville , I think it would be Ninetown rather than Newtown which would be Nouvelleville or Nouveauville wouldn’t it?

lowandhard wrote:
Special branch wrote:Day
Pipe Franks Demitriou Neufville
Wilmott Benett Amond Butler
Matt Semenyo

Tynan scored hordes of goals from midfield with Aldridge and Gwyther up front
I’m liking that side! :grin: don’t think it’ll happen though!
As regards old cromwellian’s translation of Neufville , I think it would be Ninetown rather than Newtown which would be Nouvelleville or Nouveauville wouldn’t it?
Thank you for the correct translation. You are right of course. I will excuse myself by saying it's been over 50 years since my schoolboy French. Look forward to seeing him getting more game time