BBC One Football coverage

I must say it was good hearing County get praise for their performance from men like Alan Shearer, particularly his comment on managers "resting" their players in Cup matches against lower teams like County so that they would be fresh for the bigger ???? games that they are involved in, he felt it was more important to "go" for a good result in the Cup and let the other competitions be taken care of when the time comes. He gave County what I thought was genuine praise for their performance
Well Said Alan Shearer !!!...........................Come on the Port!! Bob Bassett

Re: BBC One Football coverage

Special branch wrote:"" and tonight Wolves are playing in Newport County colours"
I liked that one as well. Little did the commentator realise he’d just reversed the reality of the situation, wasn’t it the number of midlands steelworkers at Lysaghts the reason we played in Black and Amber in the first place ?

lowandhard wrote:
Special branch wrote:"" and tonight Wolves are playing in Newport County colours"
I liked that one as well. Little did the commentator realise he’d just reversed the reality of the situation, wasn’t it the number of midlands steelworkers at Lysaghts the reason we played in Black and Amber in the first place ?
Don't know how true that is Mike, i always believed it so but havn't the rugby always played in black and amber

daftasfxxx wrote:
lowandhard wrote:
Don't know how true that is Mike, i always believed it so but havn't the rugby always played in black and amber
True mate, I’ve also heard that it may have been borrowing kit from them that started the colour choice.

daftasfxxx wrote:
lowandhard wrote:
Not sure which reason was the overriding factor was, probably a combination of reasons. Officially of course Wolves colours are old gold. My grandfather was a worker at Lysaghts at the time of the clubs creation and although he died before i was born my grandmother told me that a few of good footballers and ex-Wolves professionals were transferred to the Newport factory as the team was being founded. Was never sure how true that was however.?

For the BBC, it was perfect. When I watched the coverage on the iplayer, I was amazed how positive they were beforehand, of an upset. It was the perfect storm, we played with passion and dogged determination, while Leicester played like strangers and kept passing the ball to Joe Day. Obviously with Gary Lineker there, Shearer and Wrighty were bound to milk it.

There certainly was a Wolverhampton connection with Lysaghts,that's why there are W Midland street names in the area.Bilston,Walsall,Dudley,Willenhall etc.I think the colours came from that and there are a few other EFL clubs with similar histories,but I can't remember which ones.Albion Rovers play in red and I recall that might be guys coming to Newport from somewhere who play in red.About to see if Football Focus give us more air time,on at 12pm.