Why dont they try helping the club ??

I read in the press how the various Newport Council officers accepted the offer of seats at the Leicester game and how the huge TV audience gave the town business's--such a boost !! ---- I say TOWN and not city, simply because when you consider what other cities have, eg Swansea and their old football home --The Vetch Field, has been replaced by a stadium fit for a city football club, which I think is council owned ??--what have the town of Newport got ???? a shared ground !!----owned by the Welsh Rugby Union !!
Why dont the council ever try helping Newport County to get their own ground.
Come on the Port ..............Bob Bassett

Re: Why dont they try helping the club ??

Willthiswork wrote:They had a chance but they blew it.

They realise that now and try to humour us by saying they'll do up the Market or one of the Arcrades. Again.

They could have had their cake and ate it but now they clean up the crumbs and then give them away too.

We voted them in tho'.
Not many crumbs around when Debbie Wilcox is sat at the table.

The council have been helpful and supportive. Other than in the immediate aftermath of the original club folding, owing them a chunk of money! The Council built Spytty, for our Club to have a football ground. Because of our battle with the FAW, when there was the possibility that we not return to Newport, they scaled down the build (ie smaller stand/no clubhouse). They were helpful once we were there, but were restricted by council cuts. I heard that what we paid to be there, didn't even pay to maintain the pitch, let alone anything else.

I'm sure the Club have tried or are trying to get them involved at RP.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:I would love the council to help the club more .But financial assistance for building us a stadium ? In my opinion no chance. Lets not forget supporters of Newport County are a very small minority of the voting populace, and whilst I believe the council may have sympathy with our position I'm sure we are very low priority when it comes to spending money
By and large Councils are naive when it comes to business issues, principally borne out by the fact that few, if any, Councillors have experience in running a company.
Newport however is a particularly bad example, because there is the added factor of Labour for life whatever the individuals competency may be!
The commercial heart of the City badly needs revitalising, and crowds attracted by the County and Dragons are an integral part of that, along with cheap or free car parking.
If, as is increasingly possible, RP is lost to development then the demise of the City will be sealed.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:I would love the council to help the club more .But financial assistance for building us a stadium ? In my opinion no chance. Lets not forget supporters of Newport County are a very small minority of the voting populace, and whilst I believe the council may have sympathy with our position I'm sure we are very low priority when it comes to spending money
By and large Councils are naive when it comes to business issues, principally borne out by the fact that few, if any, Councillors have experience in running a company.
Newport however is a particularly bad example, because there is the added factor of Labour for life whatever the individuals competency may be!
The commercial heart of the City badly needs revitalising, and crowds attracted by the County and Dragons are an integral part of that, along with cheap or free car parking.
If, as is increasingly possible, RP is lost to development then the demise of the City will be sealed.
Of course I agree, especially with that last sentence. I maybe naïve or overly optimistic but am not of the belief that RP in its entirety will be lost to development.

I wonder how many visit the market or the arcades? I wonder how much income they bring in to the City?

UPTHEPORT wrote:

They realise that now and try to humour us by saying they'll do up the Market or one of the Arcrades. Again.

They could have had their cake and ate it but now they clean up the crumbs and then give them away too.

We voted them in tho'.
From what I've read that's lottery money doing up both
If they had bought RP and marketed it as Britain's oldest in-use sports stadium they may have got lottery money too?

Willthiswork wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:

We voted them in tho'.
From what I've read that's lottery money doing up both
If they had bought RP and marketed it as Britain's oldest in-use sports stadium they may have got lottery money too?
Deepdale is older. Lords also. Many others.