Re: Enjoy this! Newport County 2-Leicester City 1

Well, I am at Crewe. Kick off. Stan’s offer is accepted by me. Credit to him. I am sure all any of us want is to progress this club. Challenge is good. Accepting reality is a bit of a bummer! I do think we have a lot of talents among our posters and refer back to my earlier post about feasibility studies for our long term future home. For that to happen, I admit my limitations but, it does need local progression. CTID

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
IMB wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:My first game was Aug 69 against York when Len played.He lost his place to Terry Lynch by the time of my next game early in 70 and just played once thereafter I think.He was a painter and decorator and needed some extra guys for a contract.I phoned him up but he had just filled the vacancies,just as well really as I would have been talking County to him all day instead of working probably.
I think he then went on to run a Newsagent in Crosskeys - opposite side of the road from the college about 100 yards north. It looks like its been turned back into a residential house now. Remember dealing with his grandson (?) in the early 1980's in what was then called home-computing!!!

Two things. First an apology. Too often too many threads have degenerated into slagging off matches. That has to stop. So for my part and to everyone I have ever upset, for whatever the reason my profound apologies. Further to everyone who has ever badmouthed me, I forgive you and shall we now draw a line under it? I certainly don't require or want and apology from anyone.

Of course I will continue with my robust views, but in future will endeavour confuse the action with the individual. To use the terminology it's not so much I play the man not the ball, but by great failing is that I too often play both.I ask only that if I do that again do that please point out my hypocrisy. By the same token if people insult me I will try to not respond in kind. Okay, that's my final word on the matter.

Secondly like Percy above my first game was York City but two years earlier in 1967. Dave Timpson a big signing from a rather inferior team called Leicester City. was the goal-keeper but lost form and Len won his place back. The last time I'm certain I saw Len play was v Aldershot over Christmas 1969. we led 3-0 before losing 4-3. I remember as I left Somerton Park hearing someone say that Len wasn't the 'keeper he used to be. That he retired at the end of the 69/70 season comes as no surprise.
Strange how some matches stick in your mind. I still remember that Aldershot game also. Their winner coming off the far post from an attempted cross as i remember it as Len stood rooted to the spot. Certainly his best days were behind him at this stage.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:My first game was Aug 69 against York when Len played.He lost his place to Terry Lynch by the time of my next game early in 70 and just played once thereafter..
My first ever game on 27 Dec 69 - lost 4-3 to Aldershot - might even have been his last.

Do you have a programme for that York game?
I have a box of old progs tucked away in the cubbyhole,I think I have one but it would take awhile to see ,as there is a mountain of stuff on top of them.I remember Albert Derrick scoring a scrapy goal for us.I was too young to notice at the time,but we had a guy Delaney who played the first half but was subbed and never played again.Considering there was only one sub then,he must have been off the pace a bit,does anyone remember him?.

I recall it was one of those seasons when the team was put together quite late in proceedings with several players from the Welsh League thrown in e.g. Andy White and Delaney, who came from Ammanford Town. "A Lifetime in the League" says he played for British Universities and was a PE teacher.

Trivia - around the time the game kicked off it was early morning in Los Angeles and Sharon Tate's housekeeper was discovering that the Manson gang had murdered her, three friends and the gardener that night.

That is a grizzly connection.A lighter piece of trivia,it was one weekend before the Woodstock Festival which wasn't in Woodstock but 43 miles down the road in a place called Bethel because the residents of Woodstock didn't want a load of hippies in their town.Now if only I could get myself a time machine,I could relive my first County game then pop over to see The Who,Airplane,Hendrix etc.Anyone got one I could borrow?.

Percy plunkett wrote:That is a grizzly connection.A lighter piece of trivia,it was one weekend before the Woodstock Festival which wasn't in Woodstock but 43 miles down the road in a place called Bethel because the residents of Woodstock didn't want a load of hippies in their town.Now if only I could get myself a time machine,I could relive my first County game then pop over to see The Who,Airplane,Hendrix etc.Anyone got one I could borrow?.
I think there's a T.A.R.D.I.S. in the film studios in Cardiff Bay.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:That is a grizzly connection.A lighter piece of trivia,it was one weekend before the Woodstock Festival which wasn't in Woodstock but 43 miles down the road in a place called Bethel because the residents of Woodstock didn't want a load of hippies in their town.Now if only I could get myself a time machine,I could relive my first County game then pop over to see The Who,Airplane,Hendrix etc.Anyone got one I could borrow?.
I think there's a T.A.R.D.I.S. in the film studios in Cardiff Bay.
Has it got MOT'd lately and has it got a driver who knows the way from Somerton to Woodstock.