Re: Stadium for Newport - NCFC & NRFC unite

aberexile wrote:
rncfc wrote:
aberexile wrote:If selling is the WRU's intention (I hope it's not). Why would the WRU sell to us? They could make far more money than they bought it for from selling the land to property investors, a supermarket chain, etc. They're not going to buy it for 3m then sell it for the same price, are they?
I read somewhere that there is a restrictive covenant on the ground, stating that it can only be used for sporting purposes. Not sure if that remains the case now it's been sold though.
In that case, the original post makes more sense. £4m = £1m from us, £1m from NRFC and £2m from the council. WRU get £1m profit. Would all sides do it, though?
I don't think Newport rfc are in any sort of position to contribute that kind of money since their shareholders sold them down the river, also I don't think we could raise that amount either, 1 million pounds is a lot of money for a supporter base of our size.

aberexile wrote:
rncfc wrote:
aberexile wrote:If selling is the WRU's intention (I hope it's not). Why would the WRU sell to us? They could make far more money than they bought it for from selling the land to property investors, a supermarket chain, etc. They're not going to buy it for 3m then sell it for the same price, are they?
I read somewhere that there is a restrictive covenant on the ground, stating that it can only be used for sporting purposes. Not sure if that remains the case now it's been sold though.
In that case, the original post makes more sense. £4m = £1m from us, £1m from NRFC and £2m from the council. WRU get £1m profit. Would all sides do it, though?
Just because they bought it on the cheap doesn't mean they will sell it on the cheap. They will what in excess of £8m for the RP estate.

Seems (according to Western Mail) the actual cash that changed hands was £2.85m, and the deal was valued at £3.75m, as £0.9m was repayment of loans. It was the only deal in town, and so probably on the cheap side, and since then the WRU has been promised a gift of extra land. I'd hazard an amount closer to £6m than £4m is likely, and possibly more given the house prices (and so land prices) direction in SE Wales since the tolls were abolished.

The Council could make a statement saying the land won't be approved for sale for a housing development.

The Council should sell the Museum and Library in John Frost Square (prime City centre space) and buy RP.

They could then build a museum and library within a new North Stand.

They could also rent the stadium to County/RFC.

It has to be better than spending money on arcades and the market?

Willthiswork wrote:The Council could make a statement saying the land won't be approved for sale for a housing development.

The Council should sell the Museum and Library in John Frost Square (prime City centre space) and buy RP.

They could then build a museum and library within a new North Stand.

They could also rent the stadium to County/RFC.

It has to be better than spending money on arcades and the market?
Unfortunately, Local Authorities' decisions on Planning Applications are subject to appeal.

Rhys with an H wrote:Newport Rugby successfully sold the Cricket ground to the Council ,so they could build a new school.
And there was allegedly a "sporting" covenant on the cricket ground and they still managed to get around it. The rugby got a $ 1 million for the land and fkin wasted it within a couple of years. Lost 150 years of Newport, Glamorgan and Welsh cricket history just to try and be competitive in the Welsh League. One of the most beautiful grounds in the UK too!

Still wrankles deep with a lot of the cricket community in the city.

I totally get that the WRU will want more money than the pittance they paid for it. They also spent £1 mill on the pitch suppoaedly.

What I am saying is, whatever the total is they want for it then the only deal in town could be the pressure we and Newport rugby could put on the council to help if and when the WRU pull the plug and there is an option of no sporting team in the city - even our useless shameful council could have to act then.

Also we raised £300k in one week a few years back from supporters donations when the club was in trouble - I am sure we could get to a mill if needed from same again if our backs are against the wall.
Ditto poss the rugby .

Throw in an arranged stadium sponsor name (Admiral - go compare - Celtic manor?) and with a bit of planning like facilities for all the community to use and we could get there.

Two things I’m sure of; the WRU will fold the dragons - and the stadium and land will be sold - i was not aware that Newport rugby are no longer affiliated to the RFU ? Where’s info will this work?

Anyways we need to plan it any one has links to the nrfc supporters groups please pass on as I’ll start discussions myself.
UTC and UNRFC

Loving your enthusiasm hippy. I'll be all for this 100%. Let's do it. We all moan about not having our own ground but what have we ever done about it? I was looking at Rodney Parade when queuing yesterday and thought how far we've come since we came to that ground, it's starting to feel like 'home'. We would never have achieved what we have at Spytty. Its imperative that we stay there or if we can't, make steps to have our own ground.

Wasn't there rumours of the lady that founded Go Compare a few years ago? Could be a good starting point.

The NCFC Hippy wrote: ...i was not aware that Newport rugby are no longer affiliated to the RFU ? Where’s info will this work?
The RFU membership was 'relinquished' many decades ago - although Newport RFC keep the 'rose' on their badge as they were formed before the WRU and were originally members of the RFU.

The best people to speak to about meetings etc... with NRFC are the Friends of Newport Rugby Trust.

bignbeefy wrote:
Rhys with an H wrote:Newport Rugby successfully sold the Cricket ground to the Council ,so they could build a new school.
And there was allegedly a "sporting" covenant on the cricket ground and they still managed to get around it. The rugby got a $ 1 million for the land and fkin wasted it within a couple of years. Lost 150 years of Newport, Glamorgan and Welsh cricket history just to try and be competitive in the Welsh League. One of the most beautiful grounds in the UK too!

Still wrankles deep with a lot of the cricket community in the city.
Covenants can be lifted upon appeal, especially older ones deemed unreasonable/irrelevant to modern times